What would happen if ......

fasteddie

i would say yes.. it would by like loading a shell into a 12 gauge then dropping a 410 shell down the barrel and shooting... edit, or you might just expand and mushroom the barrel not compeletly blow it up

Edited by danc0320

I'm guessing if you double load completely, then it would be powder - bullet - powder - bullet. The primer will set off the first powder load but since the bullet seperates the second powder load, the second powder load won't ignite so it won't have a pipe bomb effect but I would imagine it would be the same as shooting a rifle right after a squib fire.

Edited by Elmo

If you double loaded bullets and powder ? Would you blow up the barrel ?

equals barrel obstruction.... more so than even mud, which can blow out your barrel just as much as double loading.... not to mention the extra charge..... i myself am paranoid about pulling the breech plug everytime (thank god i have a speed breech) and making sure there's nothing in there every time! same as pullin the bolt on the rifle to make sure an unexpected round doesn't pop out you weren't counting on!

About pulling the breech plug first, When I put mine away, I do so without the plug in it. This stops any oil etc from getting in the plug before I load it. Kind of a safety thing for me. Crack it open and no plug means no load. It takes 30 seconds to install the plug. If the plug is in, I look through it. If I can see light, I know there is no load The marked ramrod is still by far the best practice.

Very good question Eddie. Video doesn't answer the question Will the second load ignite, or just get blown out the barrel? Think Neil somebody ( can't think of last name) showed a test on my video with the Winchester muzzleloader. I see if I can locate it.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Double load is different then leaving in the ramrod.

The issue isn't that the 2nd load may ignite, but rather it creates a situation where the pressure from

the 1st load increases from the added tight obstruction to the point the barrel cannot handle it and blows.

Even if it doesn't blow, it can weaken the barrel and be unsafe down the line.

Ramrods will add weight but must slide easy in the barrel and create far less additional pressure then a double load.

A good friend and extremely (I thought!) smart guy just bulged and ruined his darn near new Krieger ML barrel a couple weeks ago. One load of very stiff smokless powder and TWO sabot-less Parker bullets equals KABOOM! Bulged + chicken chow mein barrel.

It's an accident that could have turned out much worse and can happen to anybody. He learned a lesson and all will be fine when his new barrel is installed in a few weeks.

Anybody want to buy a nice used Krieger?

EDIT to add that that barrel is made to shoot sabot-less ML bullets but they are swaged. (I think that is the term)

Edited by Lawdwaz

smokless powder is much higher pressure, so i can see the kreiger blowing/ bulging. most other front stuffers are tested at double the max load for proofing of the barrel. my max load for my inline is 150grain, i only shoot 90gr. so tested for 300grain my load doubled is 180.. barrel won't blow but hurts shoulder like heck, like shootin a 425 grain bulled at 90 grain instead of 225 grain i normally shoot. best to pull the bullet or remove breech, but i have done this and shot with a side lock, blow back pressure is the problem, has so much recocked the hammer fully. i'll pull it next time..

Eddie, I am a bit concerned as to why you are asking. You didn't make a mistake when you were loading did you?

I was loading my inline and the ramrod wouldn't go to the tape I had on it and it stuck out too far . I tried pushing harder to no avail . I pulled the breech plug and pushed 2 (two) loads out .

1) I knew something was wrong because the Ramrod wouldn't go in far enough .

2) Even if it wasn't a double load , I knew the sabot wasn't in far enough and there would be a big air space between the bullet and the powder which wouldn't be good .