Dropped My Bow!

Lawdwaz

Last Friday morning as I got ready to get out of my stand after my last bow hunt for the season, I pulled my haul rope up and slipped the tied on stick between the splint limbs of my bow. With the bow in my left hand and the haul rope in my right, I let go of the bow and then the knot slipped out of the stick! The bow was positioned with the feathers down and three of the arrows got stuck in the grate of the stand, bent in all kinds of different places and then the bow went cartwheeling off into outer space.

It hit the forest floor and bounced a couple feet in the air with arrows flying all over! Thank goodness I was hunting in the pines and that maybe helped to cushion the blow.

Three arrows were junk. The bow appeared fine so I went back to the truck and took a few shots with the judo tipped ACC shaft that I keep handy. Well, on the fourth shot the judo (impossible to loose) tipped shaft buried under the tall grass and could not be found. SOB!

4 ACC shafts (3 broke, 1 lost), $50

1 judo head, $5

New string, $80 (good idea)

Quality time in the woods= Priceless.

IMG_3596.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz

Not a real nice thing to have happen. I remember a lot of years ago (when I was still climbing around in trees) I dropped my bow (PSE Laser) and it bounced about half way back up to me. I was certain it was trashed, but as it turned out, it survived that abuse just fine. I didn't have a quiver attached at the time thankfully.

Make sure you check that bow (and the arrows) over real close for any "hair-line" damage that may not be all that obvious at first glance. It looks like the arrows took the worst of the hit and probably saved the bow. I see the dirt jammed into the nocks so they obviously took the hit. As expensive as that may have turned out, that may have wound up to be a good thing.

lol i know the feeling, started getting sleepy one night in my stand got down went to the car set the bow on the ground while i got changed back into my regular clothes shut the trunk backed up. You guessed it ran over my bow, Busted the sight bent my quiver acceptable loss, considering what could have happened, A couple weeks later shot my biggest buck to date, Consider yourself lucky because i do,

Uggh! Thats a horrible feeling. I dropped my Remi 30-06 this past weekend after shooting the biggest deer of my life. Had it tied to my tow rope or so I thought and as I started to lower it the rope untied and I watched in horror as my gun fell 15 feet to the ground. Not a good feeling though it was unloaded. Thankfully only the stock broke and the scope and barrel survived. Already ordered a new stock from Remington. Guy felt bad so he saved me $15 shipping and reduced the price by $10.

You guys make me laugh! All good stories, I can see I'm not the first.......<grinning>

The real funny thing is Pygmy sent me an email a couple weeks ago about one of his good friends and how he had just shot a great buck but also dropped his bow! I wish I had just corked a good buck too, it'd take SOME of the sting away............<still grinning>

I've certainly know what to do when it comes to a new haul rope connection but this stick deal had worked good for sooooo many years, damn the luck. With my climber I have two haul ropes onboard. One for my weapon of choice and the other for a pack. The weapon haul has a small carabiner attached and works A O K.

What are ya'?

A rookie ?......or do you just makes mistakes like one? B)

I'll show you a nice repair in a rifle stock I have, just maybe happened similar. :fie:

PS.....like the double lefty NULA kill pic, kool stuff. :bye:

It was like slooooooow motion when that darned bow took off................and bounce? WOW!

Honestly, I just kind of chuckled at the whole thing as I stood on my platform looking down on the heap-O-bow laying on the forest floor.

You dropped a gun, say it ain't so? <grin>

NOT funny but haha!

I haven't been at this treestand stuff very long, but it didn't take me more than a few hang-ups to learn to raise my bow by the top limb and lower it by the bottom just so my arrows didn't get caught on everything or fall outta my quiver. I use a carribeaner clipped on the cam now with 14 knots in it.

Obviously none of that would have prevented your fall, but it might have saved ya $50 so ya didn't have to sell your TV,lol

I just tie a square not with my para cord.never had a problem or even worried about it.never have the paracord tangle up much.It works great.Have one in my pocket for my coat and bag and one on my climber for my bow/gun.All those other nylon cords are for the birds.

Glad the bow is fine tho buddy.That could be a bad situation.Lucky it landed on your arrows,and not one of your cams.

Oh and two different people have dropped their shotguns opening day in the past four seasons.good thing i carry my backup too. fil dropped his this year....fell barrel first into the mud 8 inches. He was happy i had my backup in the truck.

I once dropped my new elite on my blacktop driveway...bottom cam first. Ugh. 2 ft drop and it cost a penny or two...i think everyone on my street knew i was mad that day.

I just flat out dropped it....stupid.

If it was a 100$ dollar bow like mine you could juggle it and it wouldn't hit the ground.LOL.As soon as i buy a nice top line new bow i know i will have to death grip it when moving it.

Its kinda like when you buy a new truck.A deer will def run out in front of ya.Drive a beater and you only hit pot holes.LOL.

Last week i climbed up my tree around 5:15 with my summit strapped in pulled up my mathews put the cat quiver on the hook and nocked an arrow.I just sat down and laid my bow on the padded railing like i always do until first light .I just moved a little ,the bow went over the railing.I was lucky the bow landed on the pine needles the arrow never came off the string.climbed down and everything looked good drew the bow a few times and changed the arrow out.I shot a fat 4 pointer and hour later,all I can say is sometimes juck is with you.I now keep a death grip on that bow.

Last week i climbed up my tree around 5:15 with my summit strapped in pulled up my mathews put the cat quiver on the hook and nocked an arrow.I just sat down and laid my bow on the padded railing like i always do until first light .I just moved a little ,the bow went over the railing.I was lucky the bow landed on the pine needles the arrow never came off the string.climbed down and everything looked good drew the bow a few times and changed the arrow out.I shot a fat 4 pointer and hour later,all I can say is sometimes juck is with you.I now keep a death grip on that bow.

get a bow holder.I made one for my summit.I used to 1/4 inch bolts about 4 inches long.Drilled 2 holes 2 inches apart and put rubber hose on the bolts.I never have to worry about dropping my bow and it is right there where i can have my hand on the handle and be resting my arm on the rail.Arrow nocked and ready.

Mine cost me 80cents but you can buy the 20.00 one too.