never been checked by DEC

verminater71

just wondering how many people actually checked by the DEC

I have been hunting and fishing for over 25 years

I spend 150 or more days a year in the outdoors and have never been checked by a DEC officer

a few sherriffs and state troopers have stopped me but never asked for a hunting license

I spend all night chaseing coyotes

fishing the salmon river

all summer in a boat

I hunt all over the state

just wondering who actually gets checked????

was checked at white pond in kent this summer while fishing.. the eco officer was really cool. he sat and talked with us for about a half hour. gave me his personal number to incase i had a questions for him or saw something that he should know about. since then though i havent seen him

• Like 1

i got checked coming out of one of our fields in 2009 deer hunting. just asked for my license and asked how the hunting was. july, 2011 on henderson harbor, checked our fish, licenses and scolded us about not wearing sunblock. oh, and once in 2006 bullhead fishing in sandy pond, and asked for license and who was driving because i was pretty well lit. thats it for me.

Edited by tughillhunter

I get checked on Kensico Reservoir all the time. It is NYC's drinking water supply so thats probably why.

Usually the guys that check Kensico is not DEC, but DEP. I've been checked once.

I've been checked by DEC once fishing in the Catskills and once while hunting. I've also been checked by Forest Ranger several times in one day.

Usually the guys that check Kensico is not DEC, but DEP. I've been checked once.

I've been checked by DEC once fishing in the Catskills and once while hunting. I've also been checked by Forest Ranger several times in one day.

Honestly, I don't even know the difference between the two lol.

Nor do I care.

You should care because one is a city agency and the other is a state agency. One operates according to state laws and the other a more restrictive city law. For example, blaze orange is required in some fishing areas. Think you'll care when you receive a ticket for something along those lines.

You should care because one is a city agency and the other is a state agency. One operates according to state laws and the other a more restrictive city law. For example, blaze orange is required in some fishing areas. Think you'll care when you receive a ticket for something along those lines.

OMG you HAVE to be kidding me!!!!! why? so other fishermen dont hit you w there backcast...... thats one law im sure NO ONE obeys

I think once or twice back when I hunted state land almost exclusively, even then it was rare to even run into one. Fishing however, Ive been checked a bunch of times while on boats, never on shore. Down in Florida, I knew most of the Marine Patrol, Coast Guard, Police, Game and Fish guys on a first name basis.

I've hunted and fished for about 50 years...I have been checked in NY at least a dozen times..I have been checked in PA at least 6 times. I have been checked in Ontario, Quebec, Alaska, and Virginia.

I have been checked fishing, both ice and open water, goose hunting,duck hunting, fox hunting,deer hunting, moose hunting, caribou hunting and turkey hunting.

Must be my honest FACE....hehehehe.....

HAHA. Wrong, I don't care who is who. I provide the proper documents when asked.

• I always wear orange when hunting whether I have to or not.
  • I don't fish during hunting season, because its hunting season!

Checked once on Lake Ontario by the fish police and then dealt with the Coast Guard and sherrifs officers when we found a floating paddle boat but no passengers in the middle of 3 mile bay, and once when fishing by boat on Black River in Dexter,they came up via boat from the bay checking for salmon and 'eyes on the boat.Never been checked while hunting yet,but I am a half mile back in with 2 gates so maybe that's why. They are more than welcome to stop by any time though.Since I am a non res I figure it best to play by the rules.

As far as out of state/country...been checked numerous times in Quebec and Ontario and out west in Wyoming.All was good every time.

Edited by Single_shot

I hunt in Sterling Forest and was just checked for the first time last weekend. I was coming out of the woods and they pulled up and questioned me. They were nice though. Someone took a shot about 30 mins prior to me leaving the woods so I think they just wanted to see if it was me and if I tagged the deer. I told her if my bow (I was bow hunting) made a noise like that, I have bigger problems!

I was checked years ago when I was coming off the lake after a night of spearing in the West River swamp with my brother-in-law. I have never been able to row in a straight line, and it was interesting as I zig-zagged my way toward shore and saw the flashlight moving way to the right and then way back to the left and back and forth as the guy did his best trying to guess exactly where I was actually going to be coming ashore. No problems, he checked the fish that we had and our licenses and our gear and then went on his way.

Another time I was checked for required safety equipment while fishing on Canandaigua Lake. Again no problems. gear was there and licenses were in order.

I have never been checked for any kind of hunting or trapping violations in all 50+ years of hunting and all the decades of trapping.

I was only stopped once in 50 years. I was hunting with a cousin near Ithaca and we left woods because of a heavy snow storm. Truck was about a 1/2 mile away and we were walking the road with unloaded guns toward it. Heard a vehicle coming behind us and it was dec. He asked us for our licenses. I asked that he get out of his vehicle. If I had to get snowed on, so should he. He did get out, checked us out and then left. Never forgot that