Damn Cheaters

cdmckane

Just had a wonderful afternoon in the woods ruined by my cheating neighbor. I got out of work at noon and rushed home, changed, loaded the Wildcat and headed into the woods. I brushed myself in on the side of the hill overlooking a well-used deer trail and hoped I'd see something before I have to go pick my daughter up from daycare by four. In walks this big-bodied six-point buck and I level up on him. I should have shot him at the first chance I had, but I wanted to wait for him to get within 40 yards because I'd have to thread the shot between trees and I didn't have a great rest. When he gets to 50 yards, I take the safety off and *BOOM*, *BOOM*, BOOM BOOM BOOM comes from the field behind me that belongs to the neighbor. Then I hear "Yeah! I think you got him, Let's go track him!"

Why do people feel the need to cheat? It's damn muzzleloader season, put your shotgun away! Hell, if you're gonna use it, at least fire only one shot at a time so you don't make it obvious to everyone in the valley that you're cheating.

*rant over*

He was on his property. It just sucks bc if he hadn't been cheating, my deer would be in my truck headed to the processor. If he hadn't fired a second shot so quick id have had a chance to reset and get a shot off.

Just got off phone with DEC. They're on the way

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I can never understand how anyone can be so damn proud of doing something like that. I mean - "Yeah! I think you got him, Let's go track him!"? I freakin' hope you got him. If it takes you that many shots to drop a deer then you suck big time!

DEC just left with the deer on a rack, the guys shotgun in a case and my neighbor in the back seat. No hunting license and doesn't even own a ML.

Deer was hit three times in the guts. Glad I didn't have to dress it out.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 8

IF (and it's a big IF) the DEC shows up and gets involved, I would think the odds of them being able to see a slug hole in the deer is very good. On top of that, you are a witness who will attest to what you saw and then they can go look for the shell casings. I'm not an authority of any sort but seems like they could make a case fairly easily.

A happy ending ! But really what will the cost be a few hundred bucks and what he loses a license that he never buys anyways ?

Most likely he has been doing this for years and still will.

Untill the fines are enough to discourage these things, it continues for most .Sadly.

You did the right thing and it must have felt good .