So, Dick's isn't allowed freedom of choice, but if anyone impedes your choices in the slightest way, they are evil? Gotcha.

They are free to conduct business as they see fit. I am free to spend my money with retailers that share my views. I won't choose to spend it there. There is no contradiction in that.

I can never understand why people have trouble grasping this either Culver. There is a local radio station here that I haven't listened to in years because of opinions they have given on issues I feel strongly about. People are constantly telling me that I am being foolish because "they have a right to free speech". I realize that which is why I don't try to get them off the air, I just don't listen. Like somehow their right to say something I find reprehensible overrides my right to not listen.

I don't shop at any of the big box sporting goods stores anyway because I prefer to give my business to my local archery/trapping/gun shops. If I were so inclined though I would probably look elsewhere now.

• Like 1

I think it was a stand up thing to do. Who know's what there motivation was? There are some business's out there that are willing to do what they believe is right in the face of adversity. Maybe ownership or a decision making executive said this is the right thing to do. It shows that we care,that we are sensitive and we are willing to do this out of respect for a community that is mourning and a country that is attempting to come to grips with this most recent tragedy.

I believe this will come back to them very positively. It will be seen as respectful.

• Like 1

I do not like the fact that they did this. I think its stupid on there part and not smart business but they are free to sell what they want and when they want. I wouldn't boycott them. I mean we all were affected by what happened and feel for the families but, none of us are running to get rid of our guns. I mean if a guy plows in to a street full of people with a car, do the car dealers stop selling cars. I am just getting ready for the war we are going to have with gun control.

Edited by wesdblc

I guess it was a business move on Dick’s part based on public perception. Suspending the sales of rifles in the community hardest hit is an attempt to show they’re sensitive to an unimaginable mourning process. I think we would all agree further and more stringent legislation on the purchasing of firearms is inevitable. Not being a businessman or a politician, I would imagine public relations played a big part in their decision. If legislation is passed forcing them to remove the guns from the shelves, those sales are lost anyway. The community will remember that Dick’s removed those weapons from the shelves before the law required them to and will continue to purchase other products for their outdoor and athletic needs. Conversely, if Dick’s did nothing they would appear insensitive and possibly would have alienated the surrounding community losing additional business.

What I find repulsive, the politicians using this tragedy for the furtherance of their political agenda. Using this to sway the uninformed about gun control and promoting the rhetoric that gun control could have prevented this horrifying tragedy. I can live with Dick’s decision, after all it is theirs to make.

• Like 1

They make up for the loss with profits from illegal salt blocks and mineral licks,lol

Funny you say that. I was in there last week, and the signs are back telling people that those products are illegal to use in NY.

As far as doing business with Dicks, Ill most likely continue as long as they dont make some dumb political type comment. Their ARs were overpriced anyhow.

Do you know that when you make a purchase at Dick's there is a Website listed on the sales slip . When you go to the site and do the survey you get a printable coupon for $10 off A $50 purchase .

I know that I will be getting Dick's gift cards for Christmas .

I do some shopping at the Mom & Pops stores but not a lot . I don't particularly care to pay high prices to keep them in business . For small shops I like the Custom Gun Shop in Walworth and The Avon Gun Shop . I don't care for the shop in Webster , Farmington and Victor .

I did know that Eddie. I also have a stack of $10 off coupons at home. I havent not used a coupon for some sort of discount there in ages. Last week I noticed their weekly ad had a misprint on a 22 rifle. I went in and called them on it right after I had spoken to their corporate office about it. They gave me the gun for cost, plus 25% off anything else I bought at the time, and I used a $10 certificate and a $10 coupon to boot. For less than $200 I walked out of there with a rifle, a set of rings for my AR and some other goodies. Oh, and the points from that purchase put me over for another $10 certificate. I have to go to the site still and do the survey for my other $10 coupon as well.

Do you know that when you make a purchase at Dick's there is a Website listed on the sales slip . When you go to the site and do the survey you get a printable coupon for $10 off A $50 purchase .

I know that I will be getting Dick's gift cards for Christmas .

I do some shopping at the Mom & Pops stores but not a lot . I don't particularly care to pay high prices to keep them in business . For small shops I like the Custom Gun Shop in Walworth and The Avon Gun Shop . I don't care for the shop in Webster , Farmington and Victor .

Yeah, if you go to google and type in Dick's I'm sure the website you are talking about will pop right up.

I do some shopping at the Mom & Pops stores but not a lot . I don't particularly care to pay high prices to keep them in business .

I don't mind paying a little more because I know that last week the guy behind the counter was selling guns and next week he'll be selling guns. With the big box stores you might get someone who was selling drywall last week, this week he's mounting scopes wrong on rifles and next week he might be selling TVs.

I don't mind paying a little more because I know that last week the guy behind the counter was selling guns and next week he'll be selling guns. With the big box stores you might get someone who was selling drywall last week, this week he's mounting scopes wrong on rifles and next week he might be selling TVs.

You ain't kiddin'

Here's a Gander Mountain scope mount job...brand new scope on a H &R Ultra Slug I bought there.

post-575-0-70067900-1356124424_thumb.jpg

The guy behind the counter in the Hunting Dept at Dicks in Webster has been there since the store opened . The manager at the Henrietta store worked in the Webster hunting dept for several years after it opened .

I have never had a problem at any of the Dicks stores .

I have always mounted my scopes on my guns so I can't speak for or against on any workmanship . The last I knew the gunsmith at the local gun shop charges $75 per hour for any work done and you are on a waiting list .

I had some work done at the Appletown Gun Shop in Williamson a few years ago and he wasn't too bad with rates . The owner died and the shop closed down .