Quiting Smoking , how , when ?

fasteddie

Thought I would start this topic as some of it was discussed in another thread .

Up until 8 am Dec 24 , 1979 , I had smoked all my life ( even when I played sports in High School ) . It took my Dad dying of cancer 11/11/79 to get me to quit . I didn't tell anyone that I had planned to quit and started to taper off with the smoking and then just quit cold turkey . MY father died at the age of 66 and the Cancer did him in ............

Quiting smoking is probably one of the hardest things a person would ever have to do .

Congrat's to those that kick the habit !

I quit over 25 years ago.  Tapered off slowly over a couple of years.  Just kept reminding myself it was very unhealthy and spent my time doing things that prevented me from smoking.  Chewing a lot of gum helped me quit too, but may have caused more visits to the dentist!

:)

I quit back in `82. Stationed in SanDiego at the time, heard about a visual crash course. Understand at the time things like that could be done without a bunch of crybaby naggin nanny liberals claiming to be offended. Went into a studio, like a small auditorium. There was a brightly lit table with two covered displays. This guy comes into the room, I dunno if he was a doctor or just some morbid volunteer, but he asked for quiet and attention, then uncovered the displays. Two sections of lungs, one healthy, one from a smoker. All he did was slice them both open. The smokers lung was gross, I mean realy gross. Looked like a human oil filter mixed with the bottom of a grill. Image still in my mind.

Back then cigs were cheap. Now adays I hear it's the cost of a good lease.

When I quit in 1979 , cigarettes were $5.25 a carton including taxes . The secret to quiting back then was NOT to tell anyone . Guys that didn't have the willpower to quit and had failed at it didn't want to see someone else succeed . I remember reaching for a cigarette in my shirt pocket months after quiting as it was a habit ......... My youngest son quit smoking about a year ago and had used the nicotine patch to do it . Whatever it takes ! alt=allrighthttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/thumbup.gif[/img]

I have no idea why some one would pick up the habit now with prices being $10 a pack..sheesh thats alot of loot over a years time. Lets see pack a day would be $3640 a year for a thing that will spead up death..no thanks!

Exactly!

That cash could be for land, equipment, tires, fuel etc.

I quit 2/18/08. I used Chantix. What I'll never know was whether it was the Chantix or just a sudden resolve to quit. The fact that my wheezing at night almost kept me awake might have help a bit too....lol. The ugly crud that I was coughing up was another great incentive. I do believe that I quit just in time to save some serious health problems. However aside from the ridiculous cost of cigarettes today, I think the one thing for someone to think about before starting smoking is the fact that even today, that drug had such a hold on me that I still get some fairly strong urges to have a cigarette. Although it is a whole lot easier to get by those cravings, it is still amazing that after all these years it is something that I still have to continue to fight with. It is unbelieveable, but it can be one of the most ugly addictions to try to lose. The solution ........... don't start in the first place! That's not preaching because I remember how much I hated people constantly nagging me about my smoking. I'm simply relating my experiences with nicotine, and anyone can take it as just another story of an ex-smoker to be evaluated whatever way you want to.

Doc

Started when I was about 13 dabbling with tobacco.

Quit once for six years, cold turkey.

New born, marital problems and loss of job - started up again.

Quit again last December cold turkey.

Only a smoker or ex-smoker knows how strong the addiction is.

Watched a video years ago, an autopsy of a smoker.

Pretty gross when they pulled the lungs out!!!!  ???

Don't know what NYS will do when everyone eventually quits.

Combined taxes on a pack of cigarettes is ~$4.50.

Now you know why they are fighting the Indian sales with no taxes on cigarettes.

Hey Doc , you better watch it . I heard that Chantix is a "performance enhancing drug " ! alt=Smilehttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/smile.gif[/img],,,alt=Smilehttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/smile.gif[/img]

Congrats to those who have kicked and Kudos to those that were smart enough to never smoke !

Pipe smokers don't put themselves in the same category and don't think pipe smoking is that bad for you . Pipe smoking contributes to macular degeneration and many pipe smokers have lost their eye sight .

I quit Aug 6, 1977 after 8 years and 1 & 1/2 packs per day. They were just 55 cents a pack. One of the best decisions I have ever made. I was only 23 years old but and I remember like yesterday.

It was a Sat night and I can still see the half-dozen, half-smoked butts in the ashtray. I remember that they just tasted terrible... that's why they were half smoked. I butted the last one out, crushed the pack and said "as of tommorrow I quit" and went to bed.

I got up Sunday morning and had a big breakfast and after went for a smoke. Then I remembered that I had quit. So I put an unopened pack in my shirt pocket and went around Sunday with an unopened pack. My thoughts were if I don't open it, I can't smoke them.

I went to work Monday with the pack in shirt pocket and continued that way all week. The next Saturday I gave the pack to my downstairs neighbor and never looked back. I played mind games with myself. Every time I would see somebody light up I would think to myself "not me".

I believe the best time to quit is when they taste like sh*t b/c that is what you will remember. Carry an unopened pack with you for 2 reasons: 1) you have no reason to go buy a pack. 2) you can't smoke them if you don't open them and 3) you have no reason to bum a smoke b/c you got your own. When the urge passes just throw the pack away and you are on your way.

I quit several times, but could never stick to it.

I finally quit for good January 7, 1999. Found out my wife was pregnant with a girl. I was determined that I wanted to be around to walk my daughter down the isle at her wedding. I wanted to be healthy and not be a burden to my wife and kids when we got older. I tried quitting several times for myself and couldn't stick with it, but this time I did it for the love of my wife and kids.

After seeing all the commercials that they have now for how bad smoking is for you, I don't know how anyone could continue smoking? Plus the cost! OUCH!!

Quit around 15 years ago. Had to get a physical for the job, got an MRI/CT scan of whole body. Is what my lungs looked like they were grey and yellow. Scared the crap out of me. Was smoking since 16 mostly 2 packs a day. But when I was in the military smoked up to 4 packs a day for six years. It's still hard. I love the smell of cigarettes. 

You're right... you have to want to quit regardless of the method you choose - it comes down to willpower!!! Play mind games with yourself... laugh at others that light. Internally say to yourself "ha ha not me"... "I ain't no slave to some weed"... "that's not gonna control my life"  Things like that are important in your willpower.