red coyote from yesterday

Cool, nice job!

Many years ago when the DEC was still insisting there were no coyotes here, a gray one and a blonde colored one ran across the highway, and I watched the car in front of me hit the blonde one. I stopped and was puzzled by the color of it. In fact I actually called a DEC biologist I knew in Utica, bagged it it a lawn and leaf bag, and me and my cousin took it downtown for him to see.

It was hysterical as I carried the thing inside the county office building, up the elevator to his office, and tried to keep it from falling out of the bag. When I got there and took it out of the bag he told me it was a "dog", because there were "no coyotes in the area", and besides, "they don't come in that color". Even when I told him it was with another one that was gray, he insisted it was a dog. I said to hell with it and took it back to the same spot it was hit and left it there.

Since that time the DEC stopped denying their existence, and I have seen them in many different color phases, ranging from blonde/red, gray to almost black. Again, nice coyote, congrats!

Edited by New York Hillbilly