POLL: Whats your Favorite turkey call

josephmrtn

Favorite Turkey Call?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite turkey call?

2. 2. What call have you had the MOST success with?

I'm slowly loosing interest in spring gobbler hunting. The increase in hunters, decrease in available land to hunt, distance to hunt, price of fuel and early rise of dawn has knocked some of the luster off of it. The TV shows with guys hunting out of blinds with freaking dekes that wobble,twist and spin with REAL feathers on them shooting birds that come running in by the handful. The NWTF boys and the BS that they are always pushing in the name of "conservation" has also dulled the passion I had years ago.

Heck I still get a kick out of it but and do enjoy the kill but it ain't like it was 20-25 years ago, IMO.

Jeez, I don't know where THAT rant came from............Sorry Joe!!

I've got private land to hunt and TONS of turkeys around here!!!!! we OFTEN see flocks of 30 40 or 50 birds around here... i think its safe to say i wont be quitting anytime soon...

Just an idea, use a air horn to locate gobblers? i've heard them gobble to trains and 18-wheeler horns so i think it would work. And it would probably really confuse the other guys in the woods lol.

LOL LOL

It sure will work..I've done it..

I've heard 'em gobble at most any loud noise, including gunshots.

However, running around the woods blasting on an airhorn just seems LESS than asthetically pleasing. <<grin>>...

LOL i can just see it!!!

Slightly off topic, but....

Crazy as it may sound, I LOVE spring turkey right before a thunderstorm. I can't think of anything that will get birds gobbling up & down the valley like the sound of thunder.

Many years ago I was hunting PA. with my mentor, Bob Weber (RIP) and a bad thunderstorm was moving in. We had a bird going nuts, he'd gobble at us and at the thunder. The rain came and one clap of thunder & lightning was RIGHT on top of us and I don't know WTF happened. The bird shut up, the rain came down in barrels and we just sat there for about 5 minutes not knowing what to do. It kind of shook us up and we headed out for a change of clothes and a barley sandwich. <grin>

Many years ago I was hunting PA. with my mentor, Bob Weber (RIP) and a bad thunderstorm was moving in. We had a bird going nuts, he'd gobble at us and at the thunder. The rain came and one clap of thunder & lightning was RIGHT on top of us and I don't know WTF happened. The bird shut up, the rain came down in barrels and we just sat there for about 5 minutes not knowing what to do. It kind of shook us up and we headed out for a change of clothes and a barley sandwich. <grin>

That was my very first experience turkey hunting...A friend of mine took me out for the first time when the season opened here up north, had a bird tearin up the woods and the thunder was rollin...the bird was right in front of me somewhere but I just couldn't see him and the next thing you know the skies opened up and we got soaked. The bird shut up and we never saw him...We too left to go dry off...I've been hooked ever since...LOL

Just an idea, use a air horn to locate gobblers? i've heard them gobble to trains and 18-wheeler horns so i think it would work. And it would probably really confuse the other guys in the woods lol.

i use and still use a moped and blow the horn while going silently thru the woods works well, one bird use to gobble to the neighbors horse whinnining...he is no longer with us ;)

I don't really use locators anymore. I Just sit and call or use a box as a locator. But years ago I got a Tom to gobble at a duck call that I had in the truck. At first light I let loose and he exploded. I ended up shooting him about 30 minutes later. I thought I discovered the secret weapon. That was the first and only time that duck call worked. I tried it a bunch more times and nothing. One morning I was coming out of the woods. I got out to a power line and I ran into an old timer. He had a puzzled look on his face and asked me "was that you blow'n on a duck call this morning" I said "no ..I heard it too. I don't know who the hell that was" Not sure if he bought it.

• Like 2

One of the best reasons I like mouth calls is they don't need the motion like hand calls. But a close second is the box call, nothing like it for the volume & locating. Slates are ok, I mean I like to use one at times but have a bad habit of loosing strikers.

• Like 1

I strongly prefer a nice glass pot call. A box for me is a good to crank up the volume when needed. I too was slow to come around to the diaphragm call, mostly because i have a small plate (sp?) and simply didn't like using them until the mini-framed ones came out. I now use them when I am set up and don't want to make movements.

I use crow and owl locaters with success.

To me though, the gobbler call is the best weapon to pull out of the arsenal when you can't get them to commit or if you have a stubborn bird that hens tend to pull away. I usually won't use it until day 3 of hunting that particular bird. I have had instances where the tom on the roost is so fired up at that other gobbler that its a pitch, land, shoot scenario. I also find that the call works well on subordinate birds in the late afternoon. If I am having a tough season or don't have alot of time to hunt in the season, and need to make the most of the day, I'll gladly shoot the lesser bird and that set up works well. I think those birds try to investigate the action/see if a hen will appear just far enough away from the "tom".

Hunting with t-storms is indeed fun. I don't really mind the soaker...it's just a very cool experience. I've heard trains, etc. make them shock gooble. You it's going to be a decent morning when they respond to the truck door being shut.

Edited by phade

• 3 weeks later...

I should have looked at this sooner...Landtrac does the view on your screen show HD trimmed ...in the left hand corner? if so click on that and it should work...apparently I'm about as good with youtube as I am the new cam...lol

By the way I also use a pot call( both glass and slate) to sound like more than one bird...I make my own strikers out of cut pieces of limbs and cut sections of bad carbon arrows...also dried corn cob from the plots and wooden dowels

• 4 weeks later...

This is my New go to call

it's a Wiggin bloodwood w/ copper over glass

this call sounds amazing previous call was the Primos Freak crystal

I do use A wetbox for locating birds but use my Pot call when on the hunt If they hang up in sight then I go to the mouth calls

post-555-0-41133700-1365417263_thumb.jpg

I should have looked at this sooner...Landtrac does the view on your screen show HD trimmed ...in the left hand corner? if so click on that and it should work...apparently I'm about as good with youtube as I am the new cam...lol

By the way I also use a pot call( both glass and slate) to sound like more than one bird...I make my own strikers out of cut pieces of limbs and cut sections of bad carbon arrows...also dried corn cob from the plots and wooden dowels

That worked. Getting way off subject. My turkey vocals also bring deer in, LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I carry way too many calls but my favorite is a ML Linch old champian box call, it was my first call bought it at Twin Fair for $16. I always use a mouth call for close work. I would love to learn how to work a tube call as I know there are not many being used in the turkey woods. I will use a slate call when I am calling for another hunter and I can set up 40 yds behind him.  the push pin type calls are the easiest call and they sound great. Probably could hunt the rest of my life with just a diaphram call and easy yelper!

Nice medium raspy mouth call in mouth, power crystal (primos slate) in hand.  Just yelps on the mouth call, and hard yelps and cuts on the power crystal.  Then walk through a nice chunk of woods calling on and off with each call.  If that bird is even an inch pumped up, he's already in the fryer.  Game over :)

Edited by LuckyPickle123