A little late but better than never

DeerStalker22

It has been a while since I have been on the site in a while, and I just remembered I forgot to post a picture of my deer this year so here it is. So here is the story behind the deer, it was my dad, my brother, and mine first season since losing my grandfather this spring, so it was already an emotional season for the three of us. It was the weekend before the southern zone opener at our camp in the Adirondacks. Saturday night my dad shot a really nice 4 pointer back at a spot that my grandfather had taken allot of deer out of. So this weekend was already a special one. The next day was rather warm and miserable to hunt so I wasn’t expecting much from the day. That night with about 10 mins left of shooting light I heard a deer coming through the woods, I grunted at the deer, hoping that if it was a buck it would make it before shooting light had ended, well sure enough I see the deer running towards me through the woods. When it stopped I saw that it was at least a 6 point, so I pulled the trigger. The deer ran 40 yards and toppled over. The deer ended up being a 7 pointer aged at 6.5 years old and weighed 180.

post-1014-0-74234800-1362171550_thumb.jppost-1014-0-68834200-1362171581_thumb.jp

Congrats..nice deer. This was my first year hunting with out my old hunting buddy (he was 83) and it was my best year yet. You have to wonder if loved ones who have passed threw a little luck your way.

Thanks guys, this season was my best to date. During the muzzleloader season I shot a doe while wearing my grandfathers red wool jacket, and than the weekend after shooting the buck I shot another doe with his old Ithica 37 shotgun down in the southern zone.

Phade heres another picture, we didnt really get as many pictures as i wanted to because I had to get back to college that night after driving the deer to my parents house.

post-1014-0-80840600-1362348052_thumb.jp

Congrats..nice deer. This was my first year hunting with out my old hunting buddy (he was 83) and it was my best year yet. You have to wonder if loved ones who have passed threw a little luck your way.

Ya my grandfather was also 83 and like you said you can only wonder if they had something to do with your luck, for me I dont have any doubt that it was my grandfather that sent those two deer in front of my father and I. Another weird thing about this year at our hunting club is that my hunting club went from getting 2 deer a year for the last 10 years to getting 10 this year and every one of them was a nice mature deer.

Congrats on a dandy ADK buck!!!

I'm pretty sure your Grandfather had something to do with your luck, I know the year I lost my Dad I killed one of my biggest bucks ever...The emotions were high that day as I'm sure you know.

Ya It is funny how it always seems to work that way, where you lose someone close to you, and all of a sudden you have great luck, and ya the emotions were really high, one of the best moments was right after I killed the buck and was walking out and my dad walked up on me and we had a big huge, and some tears were shed back to camp with the whole family

• Like 1