spring?

G-Man

Bad case of cabin fever setting in. I probably should have become one of those "snow birds" that migrate south every winter ....... lol. Always get a bit restless about this time of year. Not too much of a snow guy.

• Like 1

This is one of the first winters, in a long time, that I have enjoyed. Got out a lot in the breaks and kept somewhat on top of things. It has been a fairly easy winter here. With that being said, the black plastic mulch is already waiting for the radish and onions, soon as this weather breaks. Trying sweet corn this year, ready for the 4th of July, hope, LOL.

Edit: Haven't seen a robin yet.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Saw a woodchuck plowing through a foot of snow on my way into town this morning. B)

What on earth was he thinking? Well you know I have had that happen to me sometimes .... just one of those times when you can't get back to sleep.

I taped a few maple trees last week when it was warm and hung some buckets,now the metal spies and the holes are frozen.No sap until it goes up into the 40's I guess.Dying to try Rice boiled in sap,I heard it tastes good.

I taped a few maple trees last week when it was warm and hung some buckets,now the metal spies and the holes are frozen.No sap until it goes up into the 40's I guess.Dying to try Rice boiled in sap,I heard it tastes good.

hot dogs and sausage too! grandma used to throw a few links in for lunch while she was making syrup.

We used to tap a few trees and make syrup a few decades ago (just for our own use and a few other family members). We just did it for the heck of it, but it sure came out to be some damned tasty stuff. It seemed to have a better flavor to it when it was boiled over an open wood fire than the commercial stuff. I remember one batch that went a bit to far and turned into rock-candy. That was some good stuff too.

I almost went into the syrup business back then because we have a whole hill full of mature maple trees. It just was a bit too far out of reach financially and I had too many irons in the fire at the time.

I look forward to this time of year. We took a tour of some of the local farms last year. This one, had a small building, using firewood to boil the sap. Just a plain open air boiler. His end product was some of the best tasting syrup, I had ever experienced. My sweet tooth is already for this year, LOL. We use to evaporate to a ratio of 50 to 1. That was some very nice syrup. Today, I believe they use 42 to 1.

I look forward to this time of year. We took a tour of some of the local farms last year. This one, had a small building, using firewood to boil the sap. Just a plain open air boiler. His end product was some of the best tasting syrup, I had ever experienced. My sweet tooth is already for this year, LOL. We use to evaporate to a ratio of 50 to 1. That was some very nice syrup. Today, I believe they use 42 to 1.

Here's something that is within driving distance for all Western New Yorkers. There's a place in Angelica called Cartwrights Maple Tree Inn. They specialize in pancakes, eggs, toast, ham, etc., and all that breakfasty stuff with all the home made maple syrup you can stand. They're open til April 14. It's a heck of a drive but we usually make it over there at least once each year (I'm not supposed to have that sugary stuff but once a year won't kill me .... I hope). They get a heck of a crowd, in fact once when we over there a couple of busloads of geezers came in.....lol. It's just something to do to help shake off the cabin fever.

• Like 1

I was gonna start spring cleaning cause we had no snow on the ground,but that has changed cause now the ground is covered again.March can be the worst of all 12 month's.Time to go shovel this mess.