Hello from Brooklyn. Brand New to hunting.

JRW

Hi I live in Brooklyn NY work in Manhattan and over the the last year i have gotten interested in pursuing hunting as a hobby. It all kind of started with watching The Wild Within and Meat Eater shows with Steven Rinella, then reading some of his books. Unfortunately nobody in my family is a hunter so i am kind of on my own.

Also it seems there is not much in the way of hunting shops and gun clubs in Manhattan or Brooklyn. My first step it to complete a NY Hunters Education course and then go from there.

My interest in hunting is mainly about getting food and enjoying the outdoors. I am open to hunting pretty much any animal you can eat.

Any tips or advice would be more then welcome!

Thanks,

Jason

Welcome to the brotherhod Jason!

You found the perfect place to learn a lot. There are many knowledgable people on here with lots to offer. Enjoy the exchanges but you will learn to take some people's comments with a grain... I mean... a pound of salt.

Welcome Jason, I too was born and grew up in the city, i was self taught but with the internet you will have a much shorter learning curve. There are a couple of plces to take the test, one is proline archery on 101 ave in Queens. The best thing to do is spend time in the woods, as much as you can, even just hiking. You need to feel comfortable being out there and reading the sign because it's out there.

Welcome. I work in Brooklyn, live in Staten Island and hunt up in Sloansville. There is a small hunting store on New Utrecht ave & 80th st but they are a bit over priced and the guy is a bit of a douche. You are better of going to Jersey or upstate for your hunting gear. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason welcome !                              house of calzone best calzones around  

spumoni gardens best silician square 

Agree about Franks Sport Shop the brother in law of Frank the owner ,Anthony is a big douche , he chased away many customers Try Davis sport shop exit 15a thruway on 17 north .Its about 1/4 mile off exit . Hope this helps you Jason ..

P.S Jason try to take the bow course while your at it ,may save some time later ...

Edited by hunterman7956