Dropped that coyote

I reccommend some folks take a gander at this.http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/81531.html Specifically the "coyote" and "snakes" parts. Also don't forget to look @ the bottom of the page to see the definitions and differences between "nuisance" and "damaging" animals.

It's actually a pretty straight forward section of the reg book.

Obviously everyone here has access to the innanet, so there should be no excuses.

Regardless of the legality of these scenarios, we should all be able to agree that no hunting skill was involved. Any local yokel equipped with a gun could sneak around the corner of their home and plink an unsuspecting animal and to do so just because it was looking toward the house is totally absurd!

Education is the best method of prevention. This may have been an honest mistake or misinterpretation of the game laws, if so, ok $hyt happens, but if they're one of the "I simply don't care" people who choose not to heed warnings or laws then it's a blatant disrespect to those of us who do try our best to abide by the laws.

It's the glorification of these actions by fellow hunters that sends a bad message.

• Like 1

YEAHHH, seems like a good idea to me admitting an illegal act on the internet that I'm more than sure the DEC monitors....NOT!!!  Even though they are trouble at times, they are still a valuable asset to the ecosystem and to avid coyote hunters like myself, my friends and other NY Hunters.  I'd recommend not bragging about it on here, not a smart decision.    

You got this voted up, congrats. Its like being safe with a gun, you have to think abstractly. Many people cannot, that's why in the past 48 hours a 5 year old shot a middle aged women and in a separate incident a 4 year old shot a 6 year old. You have to recognize the possibilities and coordinate your actions toward those possibilities... There are very strong possibilities minors will now or in the future read what you post...  It wasn't the guns or the children that caused these deaths, it was the negligence of overconfident  adults who due to that cockiness where unable to think about the possibilities...

Change of topic:

Following even SOME of the rules for gun safety could have prevented both of those incidents. (my opinion) 

the guy is a product sponsor. hasn't been back. me thinks some of you are new to the interwebs

That has been evident for some time now and yes there are new folks showing here up every day let alone new hunters who may not know all the regs. Say nobody pointed out that in NY coyotes have a season. Would a beginner get all fired up and go shoot one? Maybe, and failure to disclose their location could be misleading when a beginner who thinks this is just a NY site reads it.

When things of this nature come up we as hunters and fellow NYers owe it to our sport and eachother to point out things that could lead to fines or even jail time, even if it requires getting a little harsh. It's better than sitting in the clink or being stripped of hunting / gun ownership privledges!

That has been evident for some time now and yes there are new folks showing here up every day let alone new hunters who may not know all the regs. Say nobody pointed out that in NY coyotes have a season. Would a beginner get all fired up and go shoot one? Maybe, and failure to disclose their location could be misleading when a beginner who thinks this is just a NY site reads it.

When things of this nature come up we as hunters and fellow NYers owe it to our sport and eachother to point out things that could lead to fines or even jail time, even if it requires getting a little harsh. It's better than sitting in the clink or being stripped of hunting / gun ownership privledges!

sorry bud but thats not gonna happen just for shooting a yote.... not even a deer... NYS laws are WAY to easy on poachers!!!

That's precisely my point, it does not matter if it was "just a coyote" or a deer. Nothing separates the two.

If you feel like checking out these Environmental Conservation Laws (ECL 71-0907) and (ECL 71-0921) you might realize the severity of these offenses.

Don't forget that NYS joined the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. I've pasted that info below.

Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact

Effective March 1, 2006, New York State joined the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact (IWVC). The IWVC is a compact under which member states reciprocate regarding the suspension or revocation of licenses and permits resulting from violations concerning the pursuit, possession or taking of mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians, mollusks, shellfish and crustaceans. If a person's license or permit privileges which come under the scope of the IWVC are suspended or revoked in one member state, they are subject to suspension or revocation in all member states. In addition to license and permit suspensions and revocations which result from a conviction for the illegal pursuit, possession or taking of mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians, mollusks, shellfish and crustaceans, failing to appear in court or to otherwise answer a ticket or summons issued for such violations will also result in license or permit suspension. IWVC member states also agree to recognize convictions for violations within the scope of the IWVC which occur in all other member states and to apply them toward license and permit suspension and revocations in the state in which the person resides.

iwvclogo.jpg

There are currently 33 states which are members of the IWVC. Other states and Canadian provinces are expected to join. For more information on the IWVC, please call DEC's Division of Law Enforcement at 518-402-8816.

wcmsmap.jpg

sorry bud but thats not gonna happen just for shooting a yote.... not even a deer... NYS laws are WAY to easy on poachers!!!

there will that one person that will get hit hard for breaking hunting laws, besides seen as a piece of crap for poaching can not understand why anyone would want to jeopardize they're future of hunting and payout so much money in fines.

A member on here was fined for what the dec said he was baiting, not sure if he said how much it was.

The endorsement of poaching is not detrimental to hunting? Lets stop wiggling out here: several people here clearly said they believe in shooting coyotes out of season. Others said they want them extinct. Others are playing the predator control card.

The public generally supports hunting when it is for food. Most of the same public are fine with harvesting animals for fur. And many of them understand why it is a sport and don't get unglued because some people have fun hunting.

But the public at large does not support poaching, predator control, and especially - - wiping out all the coyotes or other species. Non hunters who are exposed to hunters with those attitudes will not support hunting. Make all the economic arguments you want, all the ecological services arguments, all the agricultural arguments, show them photos of carcasses scavenged by animals and reports of rabies incidents and it will not matter because we lost their support. Since we are a minority we need their support.

The endorsement of poaching is not detrimental to hunting? Lets stop wiggling out here: several people here clearly said they believe in shooting coyotes out of season. Others said they want them extinct. Others are playing the predator control card.

The public generally supports hunting when it is for food. Most of the same public are fine with harvesting animals for fur. And many of them understand why it is a sport and don't get unglued because some people have fun hunting.

But the public at large does not support poaching, predator control, and especially - - wiping out all the coyotes or other species. Non hunters who are exposed to hunters with those attitudes will not support hunting. Make all the economic arguments you want, all the ecological services arguments, all the agricultural arguments, show them photos of carcasses scavenged by animals and reports of rabies incidents and it will not matter because we lost their support. Since we are a minority we need their support.

Since when do people not support predator control? The vast majority of non hunters that live in areas that I hunt, where they have to deal with numbers of coyotes want them GONE so they dont have to worry as much about their pets and livestock being preyed upon.

Since when do people not support predator control? The vast majority of non hunters that live in areas that I hunt, where they have to deal with numbers of coyotes want them GONE so they dont have to worry as much about their pets and livestock being preyed upon.

I am not sure exactly when, I would say around the time the grey wolf restoration controversy heated up in the Rocky Mountain and Great Lakes regions. But like you said, livestock ranchers generally support predator control. To be fair, I have met many farmers and ranchers who are very conservation minded and accept some lose as the price of doing business out in the country. Some of these farmers and ranchers also set aside many acres for habitat instead of planting or grazing. Heck, some grain farmers have problems with deer depredation and want the coyotes to knock the fawns down. One guy told me he hated big bucks the worst because when they feed they take out rows of corn and beans with their racks...

Dec don't have much man power . With the new striper fishing regs and no netting herring in the creeks . I don't see very many dec leo caring about a poached coyote . Cause 9 times out of ten it was probebly a nuisance kill. A poached deer would be something totaly differant ... when it comes to coyotes just use the 3s rule . Most people don't know there is a seaseon for yotes anyway especially people who live out in the sticks.

Cause 9 times out of ten it was probebly a nuisance kill. A poached deer would be something totaly differant 

Killing a coyote out of season requires a nuisance permit, just the same as a deer. All these presumptions that ECO's care more about a deer over other wildlife are untrue.

I know how to settle this, one of you that doesn't think its a big deal, why not kill one and call the dec and report you need them to take it away for you and tell us how that goes, i would love to hear how they don't care for them or doesn't do anything about poachers, please be my guinea pig

Edited by paula

Killing a coyote out of season requires a nuisance permit, just the same as a deer. All these presumptions that ECO's care more about a deer over other wildlife are untrue.

you are dead wrong

Environmental Conservation

§ 11-0523. Destructive or menacing wildlife; taking without permit.

1. Owners and lessees and members of their immediate families actually

occupying  or  cultivating  lands, and persons authorized in writing and

actually employed by them  in  cultivating  such  lands,  may  take  (a)

unprotected  wildlife  other  than birds and (B) starlings, common crows

and, subject to section 11-0513, pigeons, when such wildlife is injuring

their property or has become a nuisance thereon. Such taking may be done

in any manner, notwithstanding any provision of the  Fish  and  Wildlife

Law, except section 11-0513, or the Penal Law or any other law.

2.  Any  bear  killing  or  worrying  livestock  on  land  occupied or

cultivated, or destroying an apiary thereon, may be taken or killed,  at

any time, by shooting or device to entrap or entice on such land, by the

owner,  lessee  or  occupant  thereof,  or  any  member  of the owner's,

lessee's or occupant's immediate family or by  any  person  employed  by

such  owner,  lessee  or  occupant.  The owner or occupant of such lands

shall promptly notify the nearest environmental conservation officer and

deliver to such officer the carcass of any bear killed pursuant to  this

subdivision. The environmental conservation officer shall dispose of the

carcass as the department may direct.

3.  Red-winged blackbirds, common grackles and cowbirds destroying any

crop may be killed during the months of June,  July,  August,  September

and  October by the owner of the crop or property on which it is growing

or by any person in his employ.

4. Varying hares, cottontail rabbits  and  European  hares  which  are

injuring  property  on  occupied farms or lands may be taken thereon, at

any time, in any manner, except by the use of ferrets, fitch-ferrets  or

fitch,  by the owners or occupants of such farms or lands or by a person

authorized  in  writing  by  them  and  actually  employed  by  them  in

cultivating such farm lands.

5.  Skunks  injuring  property  or which have become a nuisance may be

taken at any time in any manner.

6. Raccoons, muskrats, coyotes or fox injuring private property may be

taken by the owner, occupant or lessee thereof, or an employee or family

member of such owner, occupant or lessee, at any time in any manner.

7. Whenever black, grey and fox squirrels,  opossums  or  weasels  are

injuring  property  on occupied farms or lands or dwellings, they may be

taken at any time in any manner, by the owners or occupants  thereof  or

by a person authorized in writing by such owner or occupant.

8. No license or permit from the department is required for any taking

authorized by this section.

9.  Varying  hares,  cottontail  rabbits,  skunks, black, grey and fox

squirrels, raccoons, muskrats, opossums or  weasels  taken  pursuant  to

this  section  in  the  closed  season  or  in a manner not permitted by

section 11-0901 shall be immediately buried or cremated. No person shall

possess or traffic in such skunks or raccoons or the pelts thereof or in

such varying hares or cottontail rabbits or the flesh thereof.

• Like 1

There's no way that I would support any form of poaching, but I wonder how many of these people that are getting all exercised over this also were calling for AR owners to become felons by not following the new NYS gun law. Interesting how we pick and choose which laws to obey.....lol.

• Like 1

Before we talk about this law don't divert the fact that people posted very clearly that they were  in favor of poaching coyotes.

Regarding the law: Part of the law is not abundantly clear (below in italics) and  begs the question whether or not it only applies to agricultural land or to any occupied land?

"Owners and lessees and members of their immediate families actually
  actually employed by them  in  cultivating  such  lands"

Taking this one step further, even if this regulation applies to both agriculture and OCCUPIED  non agriculture lands, I do not see anything in this law which authorizes anybody other than a landowner or his employee or tenant to take protected nuisance wildlife out of season without a permit or nuisance wildlife trapper license. FYI: a regular fur trapping license is not the same as a nuisance wildlife trapping license and requires a different course as well. The regulations for fur trapping and NWT also differ.

Edited by mike rossi

There's no way that I would support any form of poaching, but I wonder how many of these people that are getting all exercised over this also were calling for AR owners to become felons by not following the new NYS gun law. Interesting how we pick and choose which laws to obey.....lol.

was thinking the same thing. "blah, blah, blah a law is a law you can't shoot yotes out of season they're no different than deer, blah blah, blah" and then in another thread. "i'm going to keep my mag loaded with 10 bullets, I'm not registering my AR, you can pry my gun from my cold dead hands blah, blah, blah"

Before we talk about this law don't divert the fact that people posted very clearly that they were  in favor of poaching coyotes.

Regarding the law: Part of the law is not abundantly clear (below in italics) and  begs the question whether or not it only applies to agricultural land or to any occupied land?

"Owners and lessees and members of their immediate families actually

actually employed by them  in  cultivating  such  lands"

Taking this one step further, even if this regulation applies to both agriculture and OCCUPIED  non agriculture lands, I do not see anything in this law which authorizes anybody other than a landowner or his employee or tenant to take protected nuisance wildlife out of season without a permit or nuisance wildlife trapper license. FYI: a regular fur trapping license is not the same as a nuisance wildlife trapping license and requires a different course as well. The regulations for fur trapping and NWT also differ.

The sentence you quoted is actually written occupying OR cultivating. But you could also autorize someone in writting or if you have an employee that is cultivating the lands.