Going to get a new BBQ, might just bite the bullet and get a Weber.

burmjohn

Going to get a new BBQ, might just bite the bullet and get a Weber.

I have a Charbroil and its been nothing but a POS nightmare after the first year or so.  First the handle came off and I had to weld it back on. Then the knobs broke and or melted a bit.  Then the flavor bars and grates rusted.  The list go on.... 

I checked reviews and hands down weber is almost always on top, they are also the most expensive.  Thinking of getting this one - > http://www.lowes.com/pd_333214-505-6531001_4294703259__?productId=3318438&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1#BVRRWidgetID and just calling it a day.

Thoughts?

If you can wait until the end of the season (like i did 5 years ago) I got a Weber with side burner for $399 assembled and delivered from Home Depot (Regular priced at $800)

Only thing I did in 5 years is replace the flavor bars.  You need to clean out the burners once in a while to ensure an even flame.

• Like 1

True, they rarely go on sale. I think the one I got was a left over from the prior year's model and it was delivered in beginning of November. Maybe they were just trying to clear out their stock to get ready for winter stuff. Regardless, they do last. I've had Kenmores, Charbroils and other similar cheap brands each for under $100 but they only lasted about 1 year or so. Since then I've had two Webers in the last 15 years.

The Webers barely ever go on sale. I bought a Char Broil Commercial Series a few years ago, with the ceramic coated grates and it has been flawless. The Flame Tamers that go above the burners and the grates get cleaned 2 or 3 times a year in a heavy simple green solution to knock the grease off, then once or twice a year I pull the burners out and clean the entire bottom of it out with a shop vac and then degreaser.

This is the one I have, its now the "Performance Series" as the Commercial Series is all Infrared, which I do not like.

http://www.charbroil.com/grills/gas-grills/char-broil-performance/char-broil-performance-c-453.html

Go ahead and bite the bullet!  Chances are it will be the last grill you have to buy.   I bought my Weber, similar to what your getting back in April 1998 for $499.99.  I've had to replace flavorizer bars and igniter, but basically there's nothing else to rust out, and I don't foresee having to replace it.  So go get it and treat yourself to some nice thick rib-eyes and shrimp on the skewer. 

I have a vermont castings gas grill,highly recomend.I have had it 7 years and have not had to replace any part yet,Grant it it is starting to show some age,But after 7 years of heavy use who wouldnt look a little worn.I believe in spending the money on certain things and getting quality.

I also have a charbroiled and love the grill grates - very heavy, what seems like caste iron, grates.. Replaced a few of the burners years ago but now its time to replace it. Can't find anything with the same heavy grates. I'm actually thinking of just finding a grill that has the same dimensions so i can use the old grates in a new grill.

I just bought a Brinkman and blamed it on the Easter Bunny. I don't know crap about grilling, just that my wife always leaves it on too long before putting the meat on. It was $400 at Homer's. Lifetime warranty on the burners. Our old grill is a Perfect Flame with rotted burn tubes. Going to the scrap yard tomorrow. There were many grills on sale but they were outside and you could tell they had been there by the parking lot dust. Good luck!

Pulled the trigger on the Weber, it will be here tomorrow and they take the old one away.  After grilling on it for the last time tonight, it will be the last char-broil i ever own. 

EXCELLENT!  You'll really enjoy it.  We grill year round and you should also!

• Like 1

I am also in the market for a new grill. Not sure if a Weber will be in my price range. Regardless, I was wondering what is the preferred material for the cooking grids? I've heard different recommendations from the thick stainless steel rods to coated cast iron? Which is your favorite?

• 4 weeks later...

GOOD CHOICE ! I got rid of my Weber about three years ago because I wanted a bigger grill. I cheaped out and bought a Kenmore and gave my weber to my wife's uncle. Big mistake. The Kenmore rotted out in three years and never did cook evenly. About two weeks ago I threw it in the back of my truck, dropped it off at the metal dump, drove to Home Depot and bought a new Weber. These things are awesome and last for ever. The one I gave away has to be 8 or 9 years old now and still works like new.  ENJOY!!

Well I needed a new grill to replace my 3 year old char broil. I grill all year long. After looking over many grills. I bought a Weber Spirit with the fold down sides.The Weber is a much better design. My old grill the lip that hold the grates on was rusting off. The Weber had the lip cast right into the aluminum base. So no worry about that every rusting away. Most new grill's have a side burner, and I started to think, that I never used mine any how, so why pay for something I never will use.