Tick

Paula

Just thought i would tell you all so you can check yourselves and pets.

My husband found a fat juicy tick on my dog yesterday, had plans on going to vet for prescription for one dog and flea and tick for chester so i called and told them. They checked for more and i got prescription for that, they said more cases of ticks even on dogs that never leave yard.

I thought i could have gotten it from taking him to beagle club last week but they said only taken up to 24hrs to gorge themselves to the size of a pea

Frontline makes a spray for dogs. I sprayed that on my boots and pants and haven't had one on me since. I had two while out scouting. It's is awful smelling but that goes away. I have no idea how much it is but I got it free cause my fiancé works for a vet.

• Like 1

I took a series of shots (3 over 12 months)about10 years ago that was supposed to prevent Lyme disease. After my final shot they took it off the market. I have pulled numerous ticks off me(some engorged, some just walking) but never tested positive for Lymes. Don't know if I'm just lucky or it worked. No idea why it is off the market...I'm sure in twenty years I'll begin to grow an extra toe or something.

• Like 1

How come nobody has come up with a powder or something that could be broadcast across a lawn that would repel ticks? That seems like a product the market just needs.

Ortho makes a great granular product. I use it every year! Kills hundreds of species of bugs from spiders, ticks grubs and so on. Comes in a shiny redish bag. I even put it around the perimeter of my house. I had ticks when I had my yard cleared, used this stuff and knocked everything out. Good product and lasts awhile.

I never seen one and neither has my husband, never had them on us. It freaks me out. So it could have been on him for who knows how long but not have started to eat off him i guess till wed night - thursday morning because according to the vet it takes up to 24 hrs to get to a size of a pea then will fall off easy when the are done.

I joined a beagle club so that was new, I know i will never figure out where it came from. I will have to make it a habit to check him.

Frontline makes a spray for dogs. I sprayed that on my boots and pants and haven't had one on me since. I had two while out scouting. It's is awful smelling but that goes away. I have no idea how much it is but I got it free cause my fiancé works for a vet.

That actually sounds like a good idea. One that I will be trying, i've seen a few to many ticks already.

I don't think upstate NY has many ticks because of the colder weather.

They seem to flourish regionally and locally. I have hunted some areas and never seen a tick on myself or my companions, and then 5 or 10 miles down the road have had to pull them off by the dozen.

It is thought that their numbers vary so much because of acorn production, of all things (in addition to variables such as animal population density, and possibly extreme cold).

Their cycle seems to depend on the mast of the prior year( specifically acorns); in areas with a good mast the prior year, the white-footed mouse population explodes because of the greater availability of food. The white-footed mouse is actually the main vector for deer ticks!  The tick population grows fat on mouse blood, especially at the nymph stage. This is further compounded if the next year has poor mast, and the mouse population drops. Suddenly there are a lot of hungry ticks with not many hosts. Less ticks feed on mice and are looking for other hosts (people, pets, deer). Have some of you ever noticed that some years the deer we take just seem to be loaded with ticks, and other years they aren't so much? The relationship between tick, mouse, and acorn mast is still being researched. I actually have a friend that does that research for a living. It's a complex cycle.

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1

They seem to flourish regionally and locally. I have hunted some areas and never seen a tick on myself or my companions, and then 5 or 10 miles down the road have had to pull them off by the dozen.

It is thought that their numbers vary so much because of acorn production, of all things (in addition to variables such as animal population density, and possibly extreme cold).

Their cycle seems to depend on the mast of the prior year( specifically acorns); in areas with a good mast the prior year, the white-footed mouse population explodes because of the greater availability of food. The white-footed mouse is actually the main vector for deer ticks!  The tick population grows fat on mouse blood, especially at the nymph stage. This is further compounded if the next year has poor mast, and the mouse population drops. Suddenly there are a lot of hungry ticks with not many hosts. Less ticks feed on mice and are looking for other hosts (people, pets, deer). Have some of you ever noticed that some years the deer we take just seem to be loaded with ticks, and other years they aren't so much? The relationship between tick, mouse, and acorn mast is still being researched. I actually have a friend that does that research for a living. It's a complex cycle.

Something seems fishy here...... you're WAY to smart for this site,lol

• Like 1

Frontline is some expensive product...Nice to have free rights to use on human clothing. The permethian (sp?) worked great for me last year...very few tiks when was wearing gear treated during deer hunting. Small game gear was not treated and I was covered- different area and different terrain so too many variables in my test. Definitely treating small game gear this year.