Husband's first bird

Jennifer

I am so excited for him! My husband took his first turkey today, and his first game critter other than squirrels.

I should probably give a short backstory... I grew up hunting with my dad and I love spending time in the woods with the people I love. My husband grew up in an anti-hunting family, and he wasn't sure about the sport when we became a couple. I introduced him slowly and taught him what it was about, and cleared out the stereotypes and whatnot, and he grew to love it! People actually seem to get a kick that I got him into hunting and not the other way around. He's been hunting with us now for the last several years. He's had  few chances at turkeys, mostly in the fall, but he was still learning and didn't know if it was safe to take the shot so he didn't.

Today we were hunting on a lease that my uncles are on, with permission. They only deer hunt so they don't mind us spring turkey hunting up there. After a day of hunting hard and not hearing a peep, we were just on our way out, walking down a logging road at around 11. My husband hurt his knee yesterday and was in need of a rest and I knew I had to get home and start working on dinner for my mom so we were leaving a bit early. I stopped near a small clearing (before trudging down the road in plain sight) and gave a few last 'desperation yaps' and was surprised to get an answer from two gobblers. It was very hard to tell the distance because the wind was simply howling at that point in the morning, but I had a gut feeling they were pretty close, so I had us dive up into the woods and set up on the small clearing. I waited for the wind to temporarily die down and called just a little bit more, quietly. No answer, but I shut right up and waited. The wind kicked right back up again and it was gusting pretty hard, maybe 30-40mph. I was scared the wind would have them extra spooky even if they came in to us, and I was feeling extra spooky and must have checked for dead limbs overhead a dozen times. Yikes! It was actually snowing on us at one point, strangely enough.

About 15 minutes later, a pair of hens came across the clearing. I was so excited just to see them! I must confess-- I don't know if the birds around here are just extra tough or if I am just not good at hunting them but I've never been able to connect with a spring turkey before. Fall birds-- yes, but we don't often even get any gobbles out of the local birds and they are a very tough hunt for me. So even seeing those hens was a delight. Seconds later, two jakes popped out and it was clear that they were the double gobbles we heard. It was hard for me to make a beard on the first, but the second one had a 4-5" beard sticking out for sure, so I guided my husband onto him and told him it was a legal bird if he wanted him. I don't know who was more excited-- him or I! When the larger jake got in range I putted softly to get him to stick his head up. Well, the setup was perfect and it was a safe and clean shot so he took it and the jake went down cleanly.

What a blessing this bird is! I am so proud of him and I know he took joy in this. I cleaned the bird when we got home (after getting mom's dinner started, whew) and am happy to do a nice tail mount for him. I know it is 'just' a jake but this experience has been pretty awesome for us both and we're super thankful that we can hunt these beautiful birds.

springturk13.jpg

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 6

congrats. curious when you say anti-hunting family; do you mean truly against hunting or just a family of non-hunters.

His mom is pretty against hunting and the rest were non-hunters during his childhood and on up. I guess his dad used to hunt but refuses to talk about it now so who knows what happened there!

Congrats to you both. I like the part in the beginning of your story were " He didn't know if it was safe to take the shot so he didn't ". Sounds like the teacher and her pupil deserve an A+ .

Thanks! I should clarify that the situations prior were not unsafe, but he was just inexperienced enough that was was unsure and erred on the side of caution. As you guys know things sometimes play out perfectly and you have a lot of time to decide, and sometimes things happen way faster and you only have a few seconds to access and decide on things (Is it safe, what's beyond the target, is it an ethical shot, etc). We enjoy going out no matter if we take something or not, so we are both okay with just "watching" sometimes!

His mom is pretty against hunting and the rest were non-hunters during his childhood and on up. I guess his dad used to hunt but refuses to talk about it now so who knows what happened there!

ha that's wild. My wife was from a non-hunting family. They never were against it though. I couldn't imagine marrying into an anti family. have you ever probed her on why she's anti? One wrecked car and most people change their minds. :)

Edited by Belo

ha that's wild. My wife was from a non-hunting family. They never were against it though. I couldn't imagine marrying into an anti family. have you ever probed her on why she's anti? One wrecked car and most people change their minds. :)

She just really doesn't like it. She wouldn't try to stop us or anything but it does not sit well with her. Funny enough she is a lot more okay with bird hunting than deer. I think she is slowly changing her mind, but it is just the common disconnect some people have between what we eat (meat) and its origins. I respect and love animals which is actually one (of many) reasons I do hunt-- I know what happens in (large scale) commercial meat farming.

She is respectful though, and never gives us a hard time or anything. She just disapproves.

Edited by Jennifer

Thanks! I should clarify that the situations prior were not unsafe, but he was just inexperienced enough that was was unsure and erred on the side of caution. As you guys know things sometimes play out perfectly and you have a lot of time to decide, and sometimes things happen way faster and you only have a few seconds to access and decide on things (Is it safe, what's beyond the target, is it an ethical shot, etc). We enjoy going out no matter if we take something or not, so we are both okay with just "watching" sometimes!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution.............in fact , I applaud it . If there were more hunters like him , there would be less hunting related accidents and fatalities. Like you alluded to , it's not always about the kill but the hunt that's enjoyable.