Strangest non-hunting thing you came across while hunting.

About 5 years ago , I was replacing Posted signs on my SILs property . I found a rusted Remington 20 ga shotgun with birdshot . I gave it to my SILs neighbor as it was on his side of the fenceline and I didn't want a Remington . He had no idea who had left it out by the woods and I don't think he ever did anything with the shotgun .

I had always been led to believe the old Civilian Consevation Corps built them ? I do find them in the strangest places !

Most of these stone walls are farmer built.Once upon a time field edges.The CCC planted a lot of farm land into pine plantations in their time.

Pot plantations, old wells,foundations, farm equipment, are all kind of common in my area, There is an old cemetery in Sampson state park some of the graves are caved in and the dates go all the way back to july 7 1776, also Found a group of kids one time they were trail riding in a Ford Pinto and bottomed out in the ruts, I don't know what they were doing but the windows were all steamed up and like 6 kids got of the car, loli girls and boys, My brothers father in law found a burnt up jeep in Hector National forest with a dead guy behind the wheel only thing left was the skeleton, I haven't found any bodies but its only a matter of time before i do with the violence escalating in Geneva,

Back in the 1930s-40s an escaped convict was discovered living in the Adirondacks.My great-granddad was part of the posse that hunted him down. It all ended in a shootout with the convict dead. He (the convict) had animal skins wrapped around his feet for shoes and he was using ammo stolen from hunting cabins that was too small for the gun he was shooting so he had wrapped leather around the ammo so the pin would strike the primer to explode the round. No wonder the posse was unharmed.

Back in the 1930s-40s an escaped convict was discovered living in the Adirondacks.My great-granddad was part of the posse that hunted him down. It all ended in a shootout with the convict dead. He (the convict) had animal skins wrapped around his feet for shoes and he was using ammo stolen from hunting cabins that was too small for the gun he was shooting so he had wrapped leather around the ammo so the pin would strike the primer to explode the round. No wonder the posse was unharmed.

My father use to tell a story about an escaped convict, would be weird if it was same guy

Edited by paula

I called and this is the story. He was a pilot and his name was Call, he was playing cards with 2

lake Placid cops, they were cheating him and Call shot one and other ran away. After that he was called fearless fagan, could not remember if cop that was shot lived or died. he walked out of the mountains from lake placid and was found years later in las Vegas. He told story of the path he took and that when dogs came up to him he pet them and they walked away.

Not the same as yours but still interesting

what do you guys do w the pot farms?

Doing a multi day canoe trip in the Daks with a friend, we found container (55gal drums cut) of pot plants off the beaten path looking for a tent site.

At the river side head of the trail was a huge whitish boulder....I took a old fire charred log left right there and put " free pot plants" and a great big arrow pointing the way.

Took a dump in one of the containers. LOL

2 years ago in a ravine I have walked 100's of times for 24+ years and after Irene; I found a glass insulator for telegraph lines just barely sticking out of the duff. After doing some reasearch and asking some collectors about how that string of poles might be run, found 2 more.

Worth a couple hundred bucks a piece because of the color and defects contained in them. Wish I could find more of that line! Paid for part a nice scope set up for a 300WBY.

Spooky when I bought my property......it had a small home built by squatters who decided to live on someone elses property; they had been kicked out about 5 years prior to me buying. Along the driveway I noticed a series of shallow depressions in a row, about ten of them. Dug three up, and each had just a full grown dog skeleton and each head had a hammer head sized hole right in the top.......no lower jaw bones in any of them.

In the walls of the house were little girls clothes and paintings of kids having no arms/heads/legs; done childish cartoon like. Not like one or two, but like 50 paintings done on cardboard box sides. I still have some of them somewhere in the attic......(called the police and they looked at them)

Got to admit it still freaks me out a bit on a dark night out here in the sticks.....alone........LOL

• Like 2

Most of these stone walls are farmer built.Once upon a time field edges.The CCC planted a lot of farm land into pine plantations in their time.

have them everywhere behind my dads. they serve as good markers if you get turned around. but its funny to see where they are now. like in the middle of a forest that you know was once probably a pasture.

We have an old abandoned christmas tree farm as well. Supposedly planted by the boyscouts long ago. Now its a creepy place as there are rows and rows of huge pines just smack dad in the middle of the hardwoods.

My camp in the Daks is right where they were searching for Sarah Anne Wood's body a while ago. They had it all roped off and stuff. I hear they might resume the search this year.

My camp is up there too, right on Raquette. I've walked by her memorial stone walking into the woods for years, and used to find the stringed off sections where they took samples i guess all around the area. Where did you see they are starting the search again?

have them everywhere behind my dads. they serve as good markers if you get turned around. but its funny to see where they are now. like in the middle of a forest that you know was once probably a pasture.

We have an old abandoned christmas tree farm as well. Supposedly planted by the boyscouts long ago. Now its a creepy place as there are rows and rows of huge pines just smack dad in the middle of the hardwoods.

good huntingspot?

Doing a multi day canoe trip in the Daks with a friend, we found container (55gal drums cut) of pot plants off the beaten path looking for a tent site.

At the river side head of the trail was a huge whitish boulder....I took a old fire charred log left right there and put " free pot plants" and a great big arrow pointing the way.

Took a dump in one of the containers. LOL

2 years ago in a ravine I have walked 100's of times for 24+ years and after Irene; I found a glass insulator for telegraph lines just barely sticking out of the duff. After doing some reasearch and asking some collectors about how that string of poles might be run, found 2 more.

Worth a couple hundred bucks a piece because of the color and defects contained in them. Wish I could find more of that line! Paid for part a nice scope set up for a 300WBY.

Spooky when I bought my property......it had a small home built by squatters who decided to live on someone elses property; they had been kicked out about 5 years prior to me buying. Along the driveway I noticed a series of shallow depressions in a row, about ten of them. Dug three up, and each had just a full grown dog skeleton and each head had a hammer head sized hole right in the top.......no lower jaw bones in any of them.

In the walls of the house were little girls clothes and paintings of kids having no arms/heads/legs; done childish cartoon like. Not like one or two, but like 50 paintings done on cardboard box sides. I still have some of them somewhere in the attic......(called the police and they looked at them)

Got to admit it still freaks me out a bit on a dark night out here in the sticks.....alone........LOL

LOL gotta love it!!!

MAN I WISH I'D FIND SOME OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man thats sick...

at the top of the story box in blue letters you can click on "Follow up on the Call case" and then "last Call"

Thanks!!!

my sister and i found a esso sign in sterwart state forest . it was 6 feet long big and oval shaped .we came home and looked on line to see if it was worth anything . it was we went back and pulled it out of the woods . it was heavy we used a deer cart to pull it out . i put it on ebay and got 500 dollars for it :)