Good year for apples?

Huh. I thought I remember reading that pears are more hardy than apples, and more disease resistant. I know that my pear trees seem to be growing more slowly than my apples.

honestly beats me. I just know, when left unatteneded or in a bad season it seems the apples around me will still produce a little of something and the pears might not. My statement was totally based on experience and not any actual knowledge on the subject :alcoholic:

How long have you had the peach trees Doc? Ive been thinking about adding a couple to my fruit collection lol

I'm thinking 4 or 5 years. I'm not really sure because I have had a tough time with them and every year for a while there was one or two that had to be replaced so now I am getting confused as to how long each ha been in.

I am concerned about my apple tree, it has been dropping apples for weeks, and now leaves are turning yellow and brown and falling like it was fall! I don't know if it is bugs or some kind of blight? If it stops raining for a day I plan to spray the tree with Neem, I hope it is not too late.

In the past, I have had that problem with some of my peach trees. Eventually some of them just died and I have never found out what the cause was. Even this year, there is some minor leaf-loss on each of them. The apple trees are very happy so far and have grown great and without problems (other than late frosts typical of a valley).

So yesterday I was poking around on the farm a bit, and discovered a couple of apple trees I hadnt checked before were loaded with apples. Im talking loaded like I have never seen from them. I cant get a stand near them, but maybe Ill put my blind near there. Should be a great spot the first couple of weeks of the season.

So yesterday I was poking around on the farm a bit, and discovered a couple of apple trees I hadnt checked before were loaded with apples. Im talking loaded like I have never seen from them. I cant get a stand near them, but maybe Ill put my blind near there. Should be a great spot the first couple of weeks of the season.

I would go with the ground blind ..... And stake it down good this time.

Overnight I lost a huge limb on my apple tree, basically the whole one side. Damn, I even trimmed the heck out of it a few weeks ago when we had all that rain. All my trees have so many apples its adding a lot of stress to the limbs. I'll have to evaluate the other trees this weekend.

OK ..... Speaking of apples, how do you know when a granny Smith is ready to be picked. They're green before they're ripe and they're green when they're ripe.

Not trying to be funny ..... I have a Granny Smith tree that is bearing this year for the first time, and while it is still way too early yet, I have been wondering how I will know when to pick them.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of peaches this year. I had to pull a bunch of these off the tree to keep it from breaking. That's the "good news"

post-11-0-73552000-1375723905_thumb.jpg

And now the bad news ..... this is as big as they are going to ever get and they are harder than a rock.

post-11-0-33791600-1375724016_thumb.jpg

And no, my feet are not that big.

I have circles dug around my apples on the lease. They're waiting for them.

So many apples the branches are dragging on the ground! To bad all mine are dropped and eaten before bow even starts!

52 days ...

And no, my feet are not that big.

Reminds me of a set of Itasca boots I once owned. B)

Edited by Fantail

• 4 weeks later...

Neighbor brought over 2 bushel of early Macs yesterday. They look really good. I always like to make the pink apple sauce out of them.

In exchange, I'm  going to give him some of our canned  pears,  as he doesn't like canning, but loves the soft canned pears.

This started years ago with us.  We do many other neighborly things, as it has become a nice thing to do for each other.

I noticed apples today, where I didn't even realize I had apple trees! Don't know if this is the first year that they've produced or what? As I was driving in the lane at camp, I noticed apples laying in my lane in 2 different spots! I thought WTH? Someone must be messing with me! Got out and looked, and sure enough, loaded apple trees! Had the place for 14 years now and don't ever recall having this happen before.

Apple picking began this week on the orchards in Wayne Co. I ate alot of them off the trees last week.

I have a few crabapples bare now after dropping all of their fruit already...they are distressed and in poor shape. Others are holding strong.

Apple picking began this week on the orchards in Wayne Co. I ate alot of them off the trees last week.

I haven't seen this myself, so I don't believe you. You'll have to take a pic......... next thing you'll be telling me is the leaves are changing color too!  :biggrin:  (OK, inside joke)