what kind of deer is this?

cboy18

Checked my cams last week.  Found this.  What do you think? Convince me it isn't what I think it is. The 2nd one is for context.  Didn't want to post this, but I have a beef herd and been trying to manage a decent deer herd for the past few yrs.  Let me have it.....

post-960-0-45382800-1371943615_thumb.jpg

post-960-0-90207800-1371943709_thumb.jpg

I think the deers snout is very close to the cam, therefore making the whiskers seem longer and fuller. The ear threw me off but when a deer reaches up where do it's ears go? Back.

The other thing that leads me to believe it's a deer is the eyelashes and big round eye itself.

How high is your cam?

cam is above my knee below my waist, but looking down hill.  Cant find any deer pics with that many long whiskers.  eyes on deer seem to be outside head. If it is looking up and ears back what is the black semi circle down towards neck?  head would look flat across top and nose would be close to eyes. I want to believe it is a deer.

The more I look at it, I believe you're right.

No doubt a mountain lion from this evidence. The dark semi circle is likely a blood splatter from a recent deer kill! I bet if you investigate a little further, you'll find a carcass up a tree nearbye!

Send this pic off to the DEC so they can quit denying their existance in NY now that you have the proof we've all been waiting for!

I can't wait to hear them admit they've been wrong all along. Maybe they'll finally even fess up to releasing these big cats to control the wolf and elk population once they start those re-stocking programs as well.

I'm just happy to see this out in the open so we can finally get some answers!

This isn't the first report from the Coventry area.... nice catch!

• Like 2

but yes you are right about the DEC. A couple years back I heard one and saw its tracks at my aunts in Rome. I spend a day with the DEC and of course this was a topic touched on. When I asked about mountain lions the guy I was with said sarcastically oh noo we don't have any of those around here. Riiiiight....

Thanks for the input all! I was a little concerned for a bit, but enough outside eyes have convinced me that it is just a big whiskered doe and a crazy camera shot.  Guess I should be more concerned about these rascals.

post-960-0-92855300-1372119935_thumb.jpg

post-960-0-06750900-1372120464_thumb.jpg