This morning's smell outside

phade

July is usually my LEAST deery month. I tend to devote most of it to household chores,vacation, family, etc.

This morning, however, was crisp, cool, and I got that faint scent of the oncoming fall. Seems unlikely given we still have to deal with the dog days of August, but for a slight few seconds, I felt like deer thirty was around the corner.

Worst part is after the flood of my house, my hunting bow being submerged and now back at the factory for refurbishment, and the kid...there are 7 or 8 cams out that haven't been checked in almost two months. So much potential.

• Like 1

I took the dog out this morning and I needed a sweat shirt. Cold crisp air and overcast skys. It felt like mid October. During the whole walk I thought about setting tree stands and which stands I should move....LOL     It was a nice break from last weeks furnace.

July is usually my LEAST deery month. I tend to devote most of it to household chores,vacation, family, etc.

This morning, however, was crisp, cool, and I got that faint scent of the oncoming fall. Seems unlikely given we still have to deal with the dog days of August, but for a slight few seconds, I felt like deer thirty was around the corner.

Worst part is after the flood of my house, my hunting bow being submerged and now back at the factory for refurbishment, and the kid...there are 7 or 8 cams out that haven't been checked in almost two months. So much potential.

i hear ya. had someone ask me if I had the fever yet. And really it doesn't hit me till August. Just too busy with other things in July. I've been meaning to get to my cams but something always comes up. The new fun problem is carpenter ants. yippie.

The new fun problem is carpenter ants. yippie.

Just dealt with a round of those SOB's myself! To give you an idea, one day I killed about 200 carpenter ants in my foyer! I had never seen anything like it! The next day, out of desperation, I sprayed Sevin where I suspected they were coming from (some rotten wood under my roof, where I use to have a leak), and also along the perimeter of the rooms where we were getting them. Within 2 days, they were ALL gone! Haven't seen any since! First time I had ever used the liquid Sevin for ants, but I was very impressed!

Just dealt with a round of those SOB's myself! To give you an idea, one day I killed about 200 carpenter ants in my foyer! I had never seen anything like it! The next day, out of desperation, I sprayed Sevin where I suspected they were coming from (some rotten wood under my roof, where I use to have a leak), and also along the perimeter of the rooms where we were getting them. Within 2 days, they were ALL gone! Haven't seen any since! First time I had ever used the liquid Sevin for ants, but I was very impressed!

i think it's all the wet weather. I dont believe i have any rotted wood. where I found them was the chimney/deck area. Killed a bunch and sprayed with some spectracide and also dropped some of the granuals. We will see how it works. But prior to that i've killed 1 or 2 that made it inside a day. Not cool.

i think it's all the wet weather. I dont believe i have any rotted wood. where I found them was the chimney/deck area. Killed a bunch and sprayed with some spectracide and also dropped some of the granuals. We will see how it works. But prior to that i've killed 1 or 2 that made it inside a day. Not cool.

I had a problem with those things a while back. All of the sudden my kitchen and upstairs bathroom were full of them. I used the store bought sprays and traps for a week but it hardly made a dent. I finally got sick of the wife freaking out over it so I called a pro. I don't know what he used but it worked. That was a few years ago and no problems since.

Musky is a bucket list item for me. Same with pike for that matter. I just can't seem to catch them. It is one of those pursuits that humble me.

Here's my tip. Try big topwater baits in low light(dusk & dawn) or if you're serious like us, at night by the light of the moon. Walk with soft feet to avoid making vibrations that fish can feel. Try fishing  the tail end of some rapids that come into deeper/slower water. Work the bait all the way into the shore or boat, they will sometimes nail it right at shore. Be sure to have a good wire leader with strong clips/swivels. Heavy fluorocarbon makes good leaders too.Good luck!