Anyone use G5 broadheads

boo711

I have been thinking of switching broadheadsthis year. I have been looking at the G5, specifically the T3. I have never used anything but mechanicals but have also been looking at there Montec. Does anybody use these and what do you think? Thanks

I use the 125 Grain Montecs. Best broadhead Ive ever used. The ability to resharpen them and not have to replace blades is the best. Easy to do with a flat stone.

The shot I put on a doe last year was a bit forward of where I really should have put it, but it punched through both shoulder blades and some rib bone and went into the ground 6+ inches. Head is fine, just needs sharpened.

I use the 125gr Montecs too.  I've only taken one deer with one but the broadhead did it's job.  I like that they shoot the same as my field points.  I even tried a set of the practice points but quit using them because they shot the same as my field points and were harder to get out of the target.

I CAN say I miss being able to sharpen blades and when ya dont get a pass through the bouncing Broadhead inside the deer causing more damage but I'm stuck on rage chisel tips, not trying to persuade you just putting out my 2 cents, I always shot muzzys before and then grim reapers didn't care for the reaper's didn't shoot very good, but the montecs I have heard very good reviews from friends and such, .

Been shooting them for about 5 years now.  I love them, love being able to sharpen them again and again.  I have taken several deer with the same broadhead (always sharpened) and the same Full Metal Jacket arrow.  Deadly combo that Im very confident in.  

If you're going to switch to fixed blade broadheads, G5 Montec is one of the better choices for all the reasons stated above. I try to keep things simple for the "moment of truth", so I've always relied on fixed blade broadheads. There's a lot of mechanical broadheads out there and they all have mixed reviews. So I'm sure the G5/T3 falls into that same situation. When you release that arrow, you want to have the confidence your setup will "get er done"!

My buddy shot them for the first time last season with great success. Three deer all dropped with 100 yards but interestingly we noticed there was very little in ways of a bloodtrail. He thankfully saw all those deer drop but if not tracking would have been difficult. He LOVES them regardless.

I have thought about changing broad heads too, I shoot grim reapers 100 gr. I have killed 3 deer with them but the blood trail was not the best, I have a friend that loves his montec g5. I just hate to toss out 1/2 dozen heads and spend 30+ on 3 new ones. If it aint broke why fix it. ?

G5 makes a good product; however, I have found broadheads becoming so outrageously priced.

People forget that many broadheads of today are sharper than the scalpel used to open you up for surgery by a doctor. Seriously. It's not even close when placed under magnification, most broadheads are several times sharper. The ruse of having super sharp blades that are more sharp the super sharp blades out of the box to add cost to the BH is a bit much.

The Montecs are a good choice. I do like the Strikers better, but found the Blackouts by Bass Pro are very similar and cheaper.

I have enjoyed Slick Tricks and Grim Reaper as of late and buy them for cheap off AT. Buying them in Feb/Mar in the classifieds there, I can get more than double the # of heads for the price of one pack new. Two years ago, I spent $75 on BH, and I still have more than 10 new ones left. I suggest you look there for deals on the G5 head of your choice...chances are you can find a deal.

Speaking of which, I have a Montec in my box of goodies sitting idle. I shot it into foam once. I'll never use it. If someone wants it cheap, send a few bucks and I can get it in the mail. I hate having those one offs lying around...have one Rage head, a couple Gators, Copperheads, etc.

Edited by phade

Speaking of which, I have a Montec in my box of goodies sitting idle. I shot it into foam once. I'll never use it. If someone wants it cheap, send a few bucks and I can get it in the mail. I hate having those one offs lying around...have one Rage head, a couple Gators, Copperheads, etc.

what grain is the G5?

I strictly shoot 100 in case I ever run into an imaginary emergency where I lost my BH and need to run to the store, lol. Like that will ever happen. I have several at home, one or two in a little case in my truck. A couple at a few properties (inside a home/cabin).

• 2 weeks later...