muzzleloaders

apoallo

Hopefully going to pick one up in a few weeks however. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the electronic ignition rifles specifically the CVA Electra.  is it worth the money to get it. only having to buy powder and bullets and not having to use primers??? To me it seems logical and something I am interested in. however I do not know much on the topic thus me asking you

Edited by apoallo

I use the CVA Optima,but not sure I see the value in the electra. If you have the powder & bullets why not just have the primer. I wouldn't wanna mess around with a battery at all let alone trust it day in and day out.

• Like 1

I have a CVA eletra and its a great accurate gun. I used it last year and was able to do a follow up shot in seconds. I would recomend carry a spare battery just incase. Also when cleaning the plug be sure if you lube it to not have NO lube on the glow plug itself. I usually do a dry fire after cleaning to be sure it fires. Have fun, its an awesome gun for the price!

I can remember clearly but I heard something of this sort. Normally muzzleloaders, you can leave the bullet and powder in but when you remove the primer the muzzleloader is considered unloaded and thus can be transported in a vehicle, etc. With the electronic ignition, leaving the bullet and powder in makes the muzzleloader loaded and thus illegal to transport in a vehicle. I thought I remember hearing something like that but can't check since I'm on the road.

I can remember clearly but I heard something of this sort. Normally muzzleloaders, you can leave the bullet and powder in but when you remove the primer the muzzleloader is considered unloaded and thus can be transported in a vehicle, etc. With the electronic ignition, leaving the bullet and powder in makes the muzzleloader loaded and thus illegal to transport in a vehicle. I thought I remember hearing something like that but can't check since I'm on the road.

The battery needs to be taken out.

At my gun shop, you can buy 1000, 209 shotgun primers for $40.  I'm sure you can get them cheaper elsewhere, but A) I don't want to guess weather or not it's gonna fire when I pull the trigger, B) I like hearing the hammer falling against the firing pin, and C) I know it's not gonna short out in the rain.  Oh, and don't buy into the hype of "muzzleloader" primers.  Regular 209 shotgun primers are what these guns were designed to use, and they're a WHOLE LOT cheaper.

In other words, I, personally, wouldn't ever hunt with an electronically fired smoke pole, there are too many things that I don't need to be taking a chance on.  If these chances are worth it to you to save a couple pennies (if it's even that much once you figure in the additional cost of the rifle up front), then by all means get it.

CCI209M primers are a few bucks at best.

Why add an electrical system to a process? Just one more thing to go wrong imo that may not be able to be fixed in the field.

CCI 209 shotgun primers are even cheaper if you buy them in bulk.  "ML" primers are just SG primers in different packaging at best.  At worst, they tried to gimmick it up and say they're "cleaner" or "burn hotter" or wtf-ever the latest gimmick is.  Regular SG primers are all you need to buy.

In other words, I, personally, wouldn't ever hunt with an electronically fired smoke pole, there are too many things that I don't need to be taking a chance on.  If these chances are worth it to you to save a couple pennies (if it's even that much once you figure in the additional cost of the rifle up front), then by all means get it.

I have to admit that I don't even own a muzzleloader. But I have to wonder what could possibly be more reliable than electricity. At the beginning of the season, you buy a new battery and you are good for the whole season .... right? Nothing to fumble around with and drop in the leaves. It is like eliminating a part of the loading process. Actually, it sounds like a good concept to me. I don't think the idea is based on saving any money. Most likely it is a feature of convenience and time saved during loading and re-loading. It sure is weird applying electricity to a weapon that started off being something considered to be a primitive weapon, but when you consider all the modernization that has already been accepted and all of the challenges that have been eliminated from the original weapon, what the heck does the addition of a battery really amount to. The weapon has already been bastardized beyond recognition.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I don't even own a muzzleloader. But I have to wonder what could possibly be more reliable than electricity. At the beginning of the season, you buy a new battery and you are good for the whole season .... right? Nothing to fumble around with and drop in the leaves. It is like eliminating a part of the loading process. Actually, it sounds like a good concept to me. I don't think the idea is based on saving any money. Most likely it is a feature of convenience and time saved during loading and re-loading. It sure is weird applying electricity to a weapon that started off being something considered to be a primitive weapon, but when you consider all the modernization that has already been accepted and all of the challenges that have been eliminated from the original weapon, what the heck does the addition of a battery really amount to. The weapon has already been bastardized beyond recognition.

In theory, I can see where you're coming from.  However, when it's 0 degrees and it's the last couple days a camp during ML season, I don't have to wonder if the 209 primer in my ML has been sapped by being cold for a couple weeks and weather or not it's going to fire.

CCI 209 shotgun primers are even cheaper if you buy them in bulk.  "ML" primers are just SG primers in different packaging at best.  At worst, they tried to gimmick it up and say they're "cleaner" or "burn hotter" or wtf-ever the latest gimmick is.  Regular SG primers are all you need to buy.

CCI209M are magnum charge...many BH209 users use these rather than regular CCI209.

Most MZ primers don't burn hotter...that's the problem with their use and some propellants. Not many people get good results with ML primers and BH209...in fact BH209 recommends against ML primer use with it.

These electrical components equally have weak points. Gunk on the glow plug as noted, getting a "bad" battery, a battery that "dies" in cold weather, etc.

What's the first thing to really go on gas grill...the ignitor. What is one of the most common issues in a home heating unit that uses propane...the glow plug with build up or crud on it.

Sure, primers aren't bulletproof. But, they're widely available and I can swap one out fast if one doesn't work. I'm not about to be able to clean a glow plug in the field and shoot a buck in seconds. I also suspect I can swap out a primer faster than a battery. I know the primer is bad...don't always know if its the battery, the glow plug, or a combination thereof.

What do you guys recommend for powder? always used pellets, last couple years i have used the white hots.

Depending if you ML setup can shoot it...BH209 and CCI209M primers.

The fact it is loose powder is probably the only reason it hasn't taken over the market yet. Still, it has a large number of fans.