Cube steaks

Jeremy K

Exactly ,there is no such thing as tough venison . Some members must have had beef cube steaks  and confused them with venison. 

However the tendons, sinew and other gross bits found within certain cuts (not in backstrap hence any cut for the hind quarter being as good is a silly comment ) are inedible even after running through a pre-chewing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the mood for a venison cubesteak lightly dusted with black pepper cooked in a few pats of butter in cast iron skillet with pepperjack cheese.

You have a blackstone no need for cast iron any more

• Like 2

I'm in the mood for a venison cubesteak lightly dusted with black pepper cooked in a few pats of butter in cast iron skillet with pepperjack cheese.

That gets back to my point though. Venison, like beef, simply needs salt & pepper. If you’re using butter and cheese, you might as well use A1 or ketchup too!

Venison is clean and lean. Don’t turn it into a fast food Big Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That gets back to my point though. Venison, like beef, simply needs salt & pepper. If you’re using butter and cheese, you might as well use A1 or ketchup too!

@marion has entered the chat

• Like 2

That's silly too. Depth of flavor, enhance the flavor, enjoyable combos of flavors....cheese, toppings and condiments are not meant to "cover up" flavor.
However, Condoms are meant to cover up tube steaks.

• Like 1

That's silly too. Depth of flavor, enhance the flavor, enjoyable combos of flavors....cheese, toppings and condiments are not meant to "cover up" flavor.
However, Condoms are meant to cover up tube steaks.

@waterfowler this was not true in my case

4 minutes ago, BizCT said:

butter is the cooking vessel or would a splash of olive oil be better in your book? I don't put A1 or ketchup on anything. But it's definately getting cheese

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

However the tendons, sinew and other gross bits found within certain cuts (not in backstrap hence any cut for the hind quarter being as good is a silly comment ) are inedible even after running through a pre-chewing machine.

If you take care of your venison and turn those hq roasts into steaks, they are fantastic.  As good as Backstrom. 

• Like 1

Venison cube steaks with mozz, wild mushrooms and horseradish on a toasted ciabata roll is just fabulous.

I'm done forcing venison to be sausage. I like the venison flavor on its own. So making a couple of tougher cuts more tender is a great way to go other than grind/burger. Esp when I've gotten more than one deer and have plenty of regular steaks and grind already.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you take care of your venison and turn those hq roasts into steaks, they are fantastic.  As good as Backstrom. 

I'm pretty public about my handling of my meat on this forum and pretty meticulous about removing all things white from my venison before I cook it as steaks
If you cut the football roast into steaks, you end up with rings of connective tissues through your steaks. That shit is gross.
869420d24f104fca5998991c800359f0.jpg

• Like 2

Venison cube steaks with mozz, wild mushrooms and horseradish on a toasted ciabata roll is just fabulous.

I'm done forcing venison to be sausage. I like the venison flavor on its own. So making a couple of tougher cuts more tender is a great way to go other than grind/burger. Esp when I've gotten more than one deer and have plenty of regular steaks and grind already.

The only venison sausage I have liked was a Brat recipe and the cheddar jalepeno smoked sausage

• Like 1

The only venison sausage I have liked was a Brat recipe and the cheddar jalepeno smoked sausage

Ive liked some I've made ok. But I always struggle with adding so much fat etc that it's not really venison sausage anymore. And really doesn't have a venison taste. Like Costanza's stuff is great but look at the ratio it's really pork sausage with venison. It's very good but doesn't really taste of venison.
Pork is meant to be sausage to me. It's like going to the store and buying beef and saying I'm going to make sausage out of it. Nah. Your buying pork. So now I make a lot of pork homemade sausage which I enjoy so much more. And then use the venison for steaks, stews, grind, burgers only. And keep it venison forward.

Corey's got it right when he says he makes something and people say ....you can't even tell it's venison. Then wth am I getting venison for? Lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

That’s false. I get backstraps and paper thin cutlets. Both I grill hot and fast with salt and pepper. No need for butter or a pan. Medium rare. I’ve never had tough venison. I trim the hell out of it before grilling

The rest gets chunked boneless and turned into tasty snack stix, etc. Used to eat stew meat as a kid but don’t care for hot soup type foods.

"Paper thin cutlets"?

Your butcher slices up all the good stuff paper thin for you, gives you the backstraps and a pile of other "chunks" you make into snack stix?  LOL this is too good to be true!

• Haha 1

I’d hate to hear the experts opinion on canned venison.  

I cannot speak on canned venison. Very little appeal to me so I have never tried it.
What is the consistency/Texture of canned meat? What cuts go in the can? Do you eat it straight from the can or use it in recipes?

49 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I'm pretty public about my handling of my meat on this forum and pretty meticulous about removing all things white from my venison before I cook it as steaks
If you cut the football roast into steaks, you end up with rings of connective tissues through your steaks. That shit is gross.
869420d24f104fca5998991c800359f0.jpg

That football roast is the perfect thing for corned venison.  

I’ve low smoked that roast before and it came out very tender, moist and delicious.  Very little knife work while eating.  

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’d hate to hear the experts opinion on canned venison.  

I like it a lot.  Works great for quick and easy sandwiches or goulash.  I have not made it myself, but I’ve had it several times. 

I don’t think I’ve ever had venison cube steaks.  Or any cubed meat.  

• Like 1

I had a local butcher that would cube some venison for me but only good stuff from the hindquarter.  After awhile it got to be a pain for the butcher and it wasn't worth loosing the ground that we utilized better over the years in my family.  If a guy or gal shoots more than one deer a year (some commenting here don't shoot one a year I'd bet) they might be looking for another option.

Also, all the BS sausage, snack sticks, hotdogs, jerky etc is for the folks that aren't too keen on venison.  YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I'm gonna need you to look at those hind quarter cuts again in the provided picture and circle anything that isnt pure venison. 

I'm gonna need you to look at those hind quarter cuts again in the provided picture and circle anything that isnt pure venison. 

The football, it has a layer of silver skin in between the muscles in there. That and the shanks. Also with the top round you do want to take the cap off and use that for grind.

That football would be the sirloin tip fyi