Goose Meat

I am hunting geese for the first time this year. I will be eating them but have never tried it before. Can anyone tell me what the meat is comparable to? Along with its consistency? As in greasy or dry? I was looking at the game recipes and found people like to make sausage and pulled pork type recipes. Sounds odd for a bird. I think I am stuck on the idea of it being like turkey meat.

I take the breasts out of them and have had them several ways. The meat is dark, allmost reminds me of heart. Love bacon wrapped goose Kabobs (but what wrapped in bacon is'nt good !) I hunt cut corn fields, not sure if birds taken off water would be different.

Edited by JimR

If you are able to bag some on your first season, you will find out.... Believe it or not they taste like roast beef... With game birds the meat closest to the bone isn't always the sweetest though , especially if gut shot or not cleaned carefully or laying out too long in the heat. but observe the law if you field dress game birds.  In those situations the meat close to the guts (bone) might have a slight livery taste. Usually birds will taste better skinned and boned instead of cooked whole. Kill crippled birds as quickly & humanely as possible - they will taste better. Neck wringing doesn't work as advertised... Snow geese are good too don't let anyone fool you.

I think for taste and texture they are right in between puddle ducks and divers. I have a very good diving duck recipe that would probably work just fine for the goose as well.

Take 2 pounds of bonless duck breast

add 6 cups of chicken broth

add 2 chopped carrots

3  diced potatos

3 chopped stalks of celery

bring to boil 

add old work boot

simmer for 3 hours

remove old work boot

throw remaining contents on the garden and eat the work boot.

• Like 3

The last time I made goose I made it in to Chili.

I ground the meat along with some bacon, lightly sautéed it, and put it in the crock pot with the chili.

It tasted just like the chili I make with ground beef. I was surprised, it was really good.

They absolutely do not taste like chicken or beef. Fairly dark meat, strong flavor. Similar to duck.

I do a lot of goose hunting, we shoot 2-3 hundred a season. I haven't had them any way I really like so I just jerky them all and give away what I can.

• Like 1

A goose I took last year, I broiled one of the breast and sliced it thin and made fajitas out of it a couple of days after the kill.  It was awesome!  Everyone who tried it thought it was great.  Several months later, I took the other half, mixed it in with some pork chop meat, and ground it up into burger patties and slapped it on a grill.  Smell a little funny.  Took one bite and had to throw the rest away.  Did it spoil in the freezer?  I know beef will hold a full year but game bird doesn't?  Or mixing it with grocery store bought pork chops ruin it?  The rest of the meat in my freezer didn't go bad so it's not like my freezer was broken.

It can also be sliced across the grain ( as in steaks) and broiled or flash fried...

Try it rare or medium rare, if you like your beef or venison that way..You may be surprised how good it is.. Just because it is poultry doesn't mean it has to be cooked well done. We ain't talkin' CHICKEN here..

I also have a couple of friends who bone it out, including the legs and thighs, and crockpot it with onions, red wine or whatever seasoning you like..Tender, and  reminiscent of beef or other red meat.

Wild goose breast meat...after an overnight soak in V-8...can be sliced and fried...chunked for stew...or ground for burger or sausage.  Suggestion:  If you do not plan to eat them ... do not shoot them

I actually read to marinate them in tomato sauce and fry them up. I think that is what I will try and do first. And I will def eat em if I kill em. If not I know of a few people that would love the meat. Thanks guys.

I actually read to marinate them in tomato sauce and fry them up. I think that is what I will try and do first. And I will def eat em if I kill em. If not I know of a few people that would love the meat. Thanks guys.

I am not familiar with that recipe and I am not a cook, but I do know that frying often tightens meat, so it could turn out tough and chewy....