Climbing sticks/separate sections/screw in steps?

nybuckboy

What have you found to be the best, safest, easiest to install, etc and why? I have resisted anything but screw-in steps as I generally use ladder stands but have a few hang-ons including 2 M100 Millennium's hang-ons. I just bought 4 Gorilla, 3 step sections to use with one of the Millenniums.

What have you found to be the best, safest, easiest to install, etc and why? I have resisted anything but screw-in steps as I generally use ladder stands but have a few hang-ons including 2 M100 Millennium's hang-ons. I just bought 4 Gorilla, 3 step sections to use with one of the Millenniums.

I have an m100 i use with the newer ratchet strap attach (or my LWs) w LW sticks- simply the best and fastest IMO.

I use screw ins on a few crooked trunk sets but primarily leave my Mill. brackets on (trees trimmed out) with those sportsmansguide or Dicks ladder sections as I feel theyre much safer

I'd like to eventually invest in the muddy hang on stand and sticks that there's only a rope stlye hook up pull it tight slip through 2 rubber stopers and step on em and it uses the angle of the rope to hold the steps tight, there preetyy cool check em out, I only hunt hang ons love em

I've been using sticks for a couple of years and I think they're the greatest things going.  They're lightweight and packable and they give you the option to hang a few stands in the pre-season and decide which one to use on the fly.  They're quick, easy, and quiet to use. 

I own or have owned all of the mentioned. They all have their place.

LW for mobile sets or for where entry/stealth is needed, or for carry in and carry out. Screw-ins for my web or high theft areas. Ladder sticks for straight trees and rapid rails for crooked ones that will have a stand staying in it.

i use the muddy sticks and like them a lot.  i also found this video on another site which shows you how to make a few more steps on the bottom stick so you can get to just about 20' with 4 steps. i tried it out and will be using this method this year to keep down on weight. i didnt take my stick apart to get the rope attatched i just took the loop at the top of the rope and wrapped it around the stick and through itself it that makes sense lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPU6UtQHNbc

John

• Like 1

i use the muddy sticks and like them a lot.  i also found this video on another site which shows you how to make a few more steps on the bottom stick so you can get to just about 20' with 4 steps. i tried it out and will be using this method this year to keep down on weight. i didnt take my stick apart to get the rope attatched i just took the loop at the top of the rope and wrapped it around the stick and through itself it that makes sense lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPU6UtQHNbc

John

Excellent idea but to improve I would add a piece of gray 1" or 3/4" pvc about 6 inches long as the steps.

I have taken to a 16' sticks with one extra seprate section not for added stand height but so I can 'step' into my stand instead of climbing into it. And that extra few steps can be off set if need be.

If your setting up a stand in a crap tree well screw in steps might be an option. But from a logging value viewpoint they can ruin the tree.

If you want to get to the full height of the sticks, use a couple of screw ins above the top of them for hand holds. That way, you can put the platform of your stand just below the top step of the sticks, and get your feet all the way to the top of the sticks and step down a little onto the platform. Thats what we typically do. I wish I had a picture of one of our sets, but heres a quick diagram that shows what we do.

stand_zps32039f05.jpg

If you want to get to the full height of the sticks, use a couple of screw ins above the top of them for hand holds. That way, you can put the platform of your stand just below the top step of the sticks, and get your feet all the way to the top of the sticks and step down a little onto the platform. Thats what we typically do. I wish I had a picture of one of our sets, but heres a quick diagram that shows what we do.

stand_zps32039f05.jpg

perfect illustration of what i was trying to say and exactly how we do ours

• Like 1