How many tags do you fill a year?

Vince1

So im guessing the people pulling down big numbers of deer per year arnt hunting public land.

I will be bow hunting public land Pochuk/Sterling/Otis Pike and maybe Stewart in an attempt to bag a few this year.

got my range up to a decent 18 yards at least i think its decent (traditional) so if they are under 20 yards from me and i dont freeze up, soups on.

thanks for the input all, gives me something to shoot for. hopefully all the scouting pays off.

Possibly a good number of them are also further upstate where it's less crowded.

Use to fill buck and doe 3-6 a year...now I look to fill the buck in archery if possible if not gun...and 2 doe...first doe  in archery is jerky...and one other will be cubed steaks and summer sausage...then I think I'll take one  deer...cube it and send it off the Wilsons Beef Farm for snack sticks...I really like their snack sticks

• Like 1

So im guessing the people pulling down big numbers of deer per year arnt hunting public land.

I will be bow hunting public land Pochuk/Sterling/Otis Pike and maybe Stewart in an attempt to bag a few this year.

got my range up to a decent 18 yards at least i think its decent (traditional) so if they are under 20 yards from me and i dont freeze up, soups on.

thanks for the input all, gives me something to shoot for. hopefully all the scouting pays off.

I do hunt state land from time to time, but admittedly, most of mine is private land. Now, with that being said, I see how many people hunt the state land around me, and most of the private land I hunt sees more, and more consistent pressure than the state land does. The advantage to the private land I hunt, is that we have more available food and slightly more untouched cover, but after the first couple of weeks of bow season, the deer get spookier by the day. Once gun season starts, well, all bets are off. We have some guys that just want to drive every piece of of the property, every weekend. Im sure my success rates would be higher if we had better control over the place.

Best year was two.  Since moved to New York, I have been shut out.  Had a deer picked, knew where and when he would show - someone beat me to the spot and took him out first last year.  Saw a few others, but had no good shot to take (staring at tails going away).

Trying archery this year, maybe I can get one by starting earlier with a bow vs. waiting for gun season.

Use to fill buck and doe 3-6 a year...now I look to fill the buck in archery if possible if not gun...and 2 doe...first doe  in archery is jerky...and one other will be cubed steaks and summer sausage...then I think I'll take one  deer...cube it and send it off the Wilsons Beef Farm for snack sticks...I really like their snack sticks

Wilsons makes some nice stuff!

I hope to fill both of my Archery tags and if everything goes perfect I fill a DMP tag with my bow as well...then I don't have to gun hunt much and I can hold out for a Big Buck only...3 deer feeds my family for the year, 4 allows me to share.  I have had a few 4 deer seasons but I never shoot more than that...I don't need more than that...Good luck!

We (my son and grandsons) hope to fill two, maybe three tags per year. The tags we fill...we eat. Guys who fill tags and don't eat them are just looking for bragging rights. Yep...That includes those who claim to donate to the hungry. Really, if you aren't going to eat them...Don't shoot them!!!!

• Like 1

You might be better off in LI, Stewart is a zoo when it comes to deer hunting, and Sterling isn't much better.

Good luck this season.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I have an ever changing plan. But i put so much time into scoutin stewart im gonna at least do eeek one bow there. Took a week off work for it.

Read pochuk is good so if during that week i dont get any sightings i wil head overe there. Otis pike is my dont wana drive upstate spot for now. Headdin out to otis to give it another walk around.

Looota work goin into this in hopes it pays off

haven't shot a doe in many years as i've been fortunate to take at least 1 buck. Between my father and myself we're sharing between 4.5 people so we generally try to at least put 2 in the fridge. 2 years ago we put in 3 big bucks and ended up spending a bunch of money at Costanza's. Although for the first time my wife and I ran out in late july after shooting 2 myself last year. I think the wife and I are just eating more... plus they were both great eating. Might smoke a dole with the MZ this year.

I like to try and get a bow kill and a rifle kill, I am very happy with that. I give it my all for deer until duck season starts, ducks over deer any day for me.

I agree , and they are easier to carry back to the truck and the decoys are lighter.