Test your knowledge on deer

papabear

Some of those answers are questionable. 

1: While studies show deer reaction in mock scraps that is not the same as doing it out of your stand IMO...  And yes I bet if you do it on a deer while in the stand they will be scared away, lol.  Human pee and scent left in a area is a red flag for deer but if you do it in a mock scrape with other scents it is deceptive IMO...  I choose Yes Because they talk about doing it out of a stand then justify it with a mock scrape test which are two different things.  I know people out east that use pee to keep deer off their property and swear by it!!!  This is one "fact" I do not entirely believe...

2: While one print alone might not be a definitive answer larger bucks tend to have dew claws show and the width or stance and stride plus shoulder width and what they move through all point to weather or not it is a buck or doe plus bucks tend to strut and swagger.  Harder to tell when they are similar size but a good tracker can do it with no problem and be accurate most of the time.  I can do it pretty well and I am by no means an advanced tracker...  I picked C: Sometimes I can identify the differences and I do see many bucks travel solo and all I have tracked and found where bucks.  I know bucks trail doe and doe can have larger deep prints but subtle differences while tracking usually reveal the gender.  Again this is a general question and I understand why I am wrong I just don't agree 100%...

I got 3 wrong and should have known when they said STAY bedded...  Eventually they will move but windy days are known for shutting down deer activity.

I have and Issue with question 8.  Studies have shown that deer go into lock down shortly after full moon and is a big factor in determining the rut.  That phase of tending a doe is known as lock down time and can be tough hunting due to bucks sticking to hot does.  Activity is virtually shut down for a few days during peek breading time.  To say the moon phase has no effect on movement is just plain wrong IMO...  It has everything to do with it!!!  Seeking just before lock down time is some of the hottest action you can find.  I had no choice but to choose A even though I did not like the second part of the answer.

"A. True. Studies have revealed that moon phase has a big impact on deer activity. During a full moon, does are less receptive to bucks, so bucks move less.

B. False. Deer movement studies have shown only marginal impact from the full moon.

Feedback:You got it. Even during the full moon, deer are still crepuscular, which means they move mostly at dawn and dusk. However, during the full moon, studies have shown a slight elevation in movement rates during the middle of the day, and also an earlier start of the peak evening movement period. If you’re hunting in the afternoon during a full moon, head to the woods as early as possible. "

It seems to me that deer tend to use the moon light and then need to replenish after a long night and this accounts for the extra movement during the day.   Again I understand why this was wrong but I could not agree with deer movement is only marginally changed during full moon phase unless they are talking about October and not November...  November moon phase kicks off the rut and has everything to do with it and extra activity just before it during the seeking phase, and lock down shortly after during peek breeding time. 

But I understand the word marginal is the key in this question, but I still disagree.

What do you think?  Am I off base here??? 

NFA, go take a peek at the article on the QDMA site, written by Matt Ross about buck movements and some of the GPS tracking studies that have been done on deer of all age classes. Those studies pretty much blow the weather and moon phase theories clean out of the water.

http://www.qdma.com/articles/10-things-we-know-about-mature-buck-movements

I got 12/13, stupid Cow question...

• Like 1

People take things like that too seriously.

The moon topic is always interesting to me - because some people appear to go overboard, while others appear to dismiss it - both with passion.

I feel moon relationships are very low on the scale of impacts, but I don't believe it has zero impact. I think the light reflection is the biggest impact of a full moon. This stuff Chuck proclaims seems to have a giant hole - fetus back dating, which shows that the majority of breeding generally takes place within the same few days each year, year in and year out. It's a bell curve for the most part and it doesn't really change according the the majority of such studies. Here in NY Nov. 15 is the average statewide - having said that, there are earlier averages and later averages based on location within the state. He's never once tried to validate a theory with such scientific proof - and it could be done easily, yet he declines.

If you believe the moon actually kicks off or starts the rut somehow, I guess it is what it is. I'd just love to see a combined study. Nobody to my knowledge has done that - university studies would be easy enough.

Extra point for plugging Covert cams the most?      hehe

Go pound sand. I don't plug them other than what my real-world experience shows.

In fact, I just posted yesterday about a cam suggestion - where I suggest Covert....AND at least THREE OTHER BRANDS.

Edited by phade

Go pound sand. I don't plug them other than what my real-world experience shows.

In fact, I just posted yesterday about a cam suggestion - where I suggest Covert....AND at least THREE OTHER BRANDS.

Hence plugging them, you list being a pro staff in your sig for crips sake, its ok. Geno plug's Permetherin all the time, we all have our favorites no need to get all bent.

People take things like that too seriously.

The moon topic is always interesting to me - because some people appear to go overboard, while others appear to dismiss it - both with passion.

I feel moon relationships are very low on the scale of impacts, but I don't believe it has zero impact. I think the light reflection is the biggest impact of a full moon. This stuff Chuck proclaims seems to have a giant hole - fetus back dating, which shows that the majority of breeding generally takes place within the same few days each year, year in and year out. It's a bell curve for the most part and it doesn't really change according the the majority of such studies. Here in NY Nov. 15 is the average statewide - having said that, there are earlier averages and later averages based on location within the state. He's never once tried to validate a theory with such scientific proof - and it could be done easily, yet he declines.

If you believe the moon actually kicks off or starts the rut somehow, I guess it is what it is. I'd just love to see a combined study. Nobody to my knowledge has done that - university studies would be easy enough.

I thought this had been validated with fetal aging?

12/13- The question of what triggers the rut is bogus! Does in estrus are the final trigger of the rut, not photoperiod. You can have short days but if there aren't any estrus does then you have no rut. Plus having more than one possible correct answer is a crock, or is that why I didn't do better on my SATs years ago?

Hence plugging them, you list being a pro staff in your sig for crips sake, its ok. Geno plug's Permetherin all the time, we all have our favorites no need to get all bent.

I don't put that in there to brag. It's in there for full disclosure so people can make up their own minds based on the responses they get.

12/13- The question of what triggers the rut is bogus! Does in estrus are the final trigger of the rut, not photoperiod. You can have short days but if there aren't any estrus does then you have no rut. Plus having more than one possible correct answer is a crock, or is that why I didn't do better on my SATs years ago?

But what triggers the estrus? Actual question does any one know?

I thought this had been validated with fetal aging?

To my knowledge Chuck has never conducted one simultaneously or in conjunction. I and many people think he doesn't do it on purpose because it would potentially invalidate his theory. I like him, but I think his reliance on this theory is too heavy on moon impact.

A good example - the trickle rut. If the trickle rut is a real thing, fetus aging would show that, and they don't - at least the ones I have read.