cleaning the smoke pole

apoallo

I used bore butter in the beginning but found no matter how much I cleaned it gunk still developed. Bought this CVA cleaning kit with bore blaster a soaking canister a tub of presoaked cleaning patches and anti rust patches.....The inside of my barrel shines great now. From my own experience I would tell people to stay far awar from bore butter. Very happy with this CVA kit.

I used bore butter in the beginning but found no matter how much I cleaned it gunk still developed. Bought this CVA cleaning kit with bore blaster a soaking canister a tub of presoaked cleaning patches and anti rust patches.....The inside of my barrel shines great now. From my own experience I would tell people to stay far awar from bore butter. Very happy with this CVA kit.

X2 on the CVA kit ,the barrel cleaner works amazing .

shot my cva for the first time today. Now I know why muzzleloading isn't as popular as rifles.  I have to clean the bore  after 2 shots. otherwise I cant get the sabot down all the way.. Now I just have to get the right flat head screw driver to take out the bushing and spring with firing pin. .  Even thou there is a lot of work that goes into firing a few shots I like it a lot. makes me appreciate our modern firearms more. Def hooked on the muzzleloader thou. Just gotta find a better bullet. the federal fusions do not group very consistently at 80 yards. so I wasn't even gonna try it at 100+

I have to clean the bore  after 2 shots. otherwise I cant get the sabot down all the way..

Try Blackhorn 209, if you can find it.  I'm loading 85 gr behind my 300 gr XTPs and shooting 1.5" 10-round groups without cleaning, just a spit patch between rounds.

Edited by cdmckane

Try Blackhorn 209, if you can find it.  I'm loading 85 gr behind my 300 gr XTPs and shooting 1.5" 10-round groups without cleaning, just a spit patch between rounds.

I didn't try swabbing after each round. Ill probably be able to get a few more shots then....

After I get the bore nice and clean (and dry), I run a patch through it with just any type of gun oil. Rem oil, Hoppes gun oil, WD-40. Anything that is going to coat and protect the bore will work. I will also run an oil patch through the bore, a time or two, during the off season just to "re up" the protection. Haven't  had a problem in over 25 years.

if your using T7 , try a 50/50 blend of windex and water on a patch to swab the bore to get the crud ring out at the range, works great , then go home and clean. 

When you're done at the range give the barrel a few wet patch passes. Once you get home and do the full cleaning program I heard that WD40 will help take out the water moisture in the wet barrel then apply our oil, grease, or lube. Shooters Choice rust preventive does a decent job and I've used Precision Lube 2000 before. I've been thinking about using white gas, AKA Coleman fuel, or the Anti Gas line freeze for your car stuff because it absorbs and has water deplacement properties. 

• 2 months later...

Use a spit patch between every shot. tuck it in your cheek like a wad of chew then run it through the barrel once with a jag.Keep the jag attached to your ramrod and it'll give you something to grab on to.

I use powerbelts in my MK-85 and patched round balls in my Hawken .54 and Jaeger .62. I only use Goex 2F in all of my BP weapons. Pyrodex may give you a few more shots between a serious cleaning at the range but I found it extremely corrosive as compared to Goex.

• 2 weeks later...

yup I shoot 777 and have to clean in between.  Blackhorn 209 is hard to find around here.  BH209 is a lot cleaner and less corrosive though.  I'd use it in a heart beat if I could find it.

Edited by dbHunterNY

yup I shoot 777 and have to clean in between. Blackhorn 209 is hard to find around here. BH209 is a lot cleaner and less corrosive though. I'd use it in a heart beat if I could find it.

I can't find it locally at the moment so I'm back to 777.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I totally disagree.  How did anyone ever clean a gun before all the gimmick cleaners hit the market.  Clean your gun with a solvent, then clean it with boiling water and patches and see how unclean it is with the solvent.  Getting the water out is simple.  It is called patches.  Convenience is not always better.  I have been using smokepoles since early 70's and have not lost a barrel yet

• Like 2

I totally disagree.  How did anyone ever clean a gun before all the gimmick cleaners hit the market.  Clean your gun with a solvent, then clean it with boiling water and patches and see how unclean it is with the solvent.  Getting the water out is simple.  It is called patches.  Convenience is not always better.  I have been using smokepoles since early 70's and have not lost a barrel yet

same here, been using the hot soapy water method for years........