New Cover Scent?

Caveman

These days everyone is so obsessed with scent control that they are willing to shell out hundreds, even thousands of dollars on suits that are guaranteed to hide human odor, $25 bottles of laundry detergent, and $7 bars of soap.  Yet at work the other day I had a guy tell me he had a deer walk to within 20 yards of him while he was smoking a pipe.  Now scent control is important, no one can refute a deer's natural fear of HUMAN odor.  But, what about scents that are unfamiliar like pipe smoke?  Native Americans have been using wood smoke to cover their scent for centuries due to it's antibacterial nature and a deer's lack of alarm at the smell of smoke.  Toss in the fact that people swear by vanilla extract as a deer attractant.  I'm going to do an experiment and smoke a vanilla flavored pipe tobacco in the stand the next few outings, what do you guys think will happen?

I am a furm believer that cover scents and scent control are dependant onlocation.  I know alot of guys who hunt farms.  They will hang their cloths in the barn.  I guess if that is what the deer are used to that is fine.  As for the flavored pipe.  I might work. After all their is a compony out now selling inscents stick as an atractant.

I am a furm believer that cover scents and scent control are dependant onlocation.  I know alot of guys who hunt farms.  They will hang their cloths in the barn.  I guess if that is what the deer are used to that is fine.  As for the flavored pipe.  I might work. After all their is a compony out now selling inscents stick as an atractant.

A guy I work with actually got a big 6 point the other day using one of the estrous incense sticks.  He claims the deer completely changed it's direction once it caught wind of it

I believe that deer learn based on their senses. if they hear a certain sound, smel a certain smell and something bad happens it will turn on their flight response the next time they sense it. I think the pipe would work...until they have a nose full of it and the deer next to them gets rapped by a slug.

same thing with human scent...think of all the fawns you can walk right up to until mom conditions them that it is bad to see/smel /hear. I had 2 little ones in a field I was walking through this past weekend. Stood right there and let me walk to within 50 feet of them. never ran...just trotted around me and stayed in the field. Must be mom didn't make it through muzzle loader season.

My father who has passed now, used to smoke prince albert tobacco in his pipe.  He claimed he could smoke the pipe and shoot a deer and pick the pipe up and it would still be lit.  I can not personally attest to this, but he had no reason to tellme if it wasnt true.  As far as scent, I hang my clothes in the woods for a week or two before season, then pack them with pine brows.  It seems to work fine for me.

I know I am saying this to the wrong crowd, but how did the people whu hunted before us ever get a deer when they did not have cover scents and camo and a range finder and all the goodies.  I am surprised we ever ate venison as kids.

I know I am saying this to the wrong crowd, but how did the people whu hunted before us ever get a deer when they did not have cover scents and camo and a range finder and all the goodies.  I am surprised we ever ate venison as kids.

I'm not sure where you;re going with that one Bubba but I've believed that stuff was unnecessary for a long time.  My grandfather went out every year with a SxS 16 guage smoothbore with external hammers, a flannel shirt, and blue Dickie's workpants and he did just fine.  I am of the opinion that half this stuff is for the hunters more than for the game. 

BINGO ! Bubba. Just like fish lures are made to catch fishermen,this years camo is made to catch hunters. I think soon the new patterns will first be seen on a runway in Paris......

Put your stand up higher,hunt stands when wind is right,trim less .

But you can't put that on a store shelf.

I agree guys...I fight it and get caught up in it myself....I then think back at the deer I shot with a smooth bore single shot.....in gray wollrich bibs and a red wool jacket........I will stick to one thing though...boot technology has inproved alot over my unisulated rubber packs or felt lined snowmobile boots...lol

Bubba I know where you are coming from on that one. One reason (just my opinion) is that back years ago you did not have a whole lot of posted private land. There were more hunters in the woods and they always pushed deer around. (From one farm to another). My dad stated that he use to hunt this mountain and that mountain. Now all these mountains that he use to hunt he can't anymore due to them being posted and the landowners don't allow anyone to hunt.

Wildcat you will have to let us know how your experiment goes. Then try the cherry flavor pipe tobacco or cigars.

I'm not sure where you;re going with that one Bubba but I've believed that stuff was unnecessary for a long time.  My grandfather went out every year with a SxS 16 guage smoothbore with external hammers, a flannel shirt, and blue Dickie's workpants and he did just fine.  I am of the opinion that half this stuff is for the hunters more than for the game.

I second that.My grandfather I was told used a sxs 12 ga. Lefever for all game back in the 50's and 60's. Red wool pants and jackets. Also one of the first bowhunting videos (remember vhs?) I bought had Chuck Adams saying to wear an open patterned flannel shirt to break up your outline.Anyone remember being told to put things like leaves in with your clothes for a cover scent?

2 types of scents:

Attractant/curiousity like doe pee, vanilla etc - these may work sometime.

Cover scents like earth, fox pee, anything used to cover/hide human scent.

These can't and do not work as deer posess the ability to detect anf process multiple orders.

They simply smell the fox pee and you - one scent cannot be hidden by adding another.

i do belive what works for one DOES not work for another ALL the time... ever hear of "dumb luck"? first you have no luck then you have dumb luck... a guy goes in the woods smokes cigerettes all day, his clothes smell like his truck and never washes them and then goes out and has dumb luck and shoots a big buck. then you have other hunters who hear this and think that scent killer and all the other products that may sharpen a hunters edge are crap because a few guys have had success killing deer while doing what some may say to be unorthidox.

i dont beleive it, im sorry lol

i have heard of guys who eat pizza a a pizza store while wearing hunting clothes and smoke all sorts of things and still kill deer. NOW compare those statistics to those who do use scent killer products and dont smoke pipes and so on and i want to see who comes out on top! it may work for some but not all. and does anyone else here thingk that BY NOW, if it was found that vinella was an attractent that there would be a FLOOD of products containing that by now on all shelves in the store?? im being honest here...