Knife for field dressing, etc

don23

How much do those replacement blades cost?   There's just something about having a knife that you can sharpen yourself, though.  Sitting down and getting a good edge can be more satisfying than replacing a blade like in a box cutter.

On the Havalon website you can get 100 for $35, but you can find them cheaper elsewhere on the web.  I have been using the Piranta-Edge for gutting and skinning and love it.  This year I bought the Piranta-Bolt which has a slightly thicker and stronger blade.  I've yet to use it on an animal though.  They are scary sharp.  

I don't know about the butt out. It worked well once for me. Then on another it just tore the ass and made a mess for me. The third time I used it on a huge doe and I putt it up there and it couldn't grab anything because her butt was too big hah.

Sounds like your local bucks werent hitting the right target...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On the Havalon website you can get 100 for $35, but you can find them cheaper elsewhere on the web.  I have been using the Piranta-Edge for gutting and skinning and love it.  This year I bought the Piranta-Bolt which has a slightly thicker and stronger blade.  I've yet to use it on an animal though.  They are scary sharp.

Another satisfied Piranta user.

I bought 250 for $15 from some autopsy supply place for the #60's.

Taken pigs and deer apart with mine, and if you know what your doing can cut and break legs joints no problem.

I also have the smaller #22 model for caping and everyday.

Not gonna lie, that Piranta looks really nice. is it easy to clean?

And about that butt-out.. Lol.. I never thought someone would make something like that. Is it really necessary? :resent:

@josephmrtn

I already have a leatherman. I use it for when I go camping and have to cut a little fishing line, etc.. is it good enough to cut through fur & everythin?

Edited by don23

It is true that it is not 100% necessary. I have gut a few without breaking it. However, I do find it a tad easier to gut with the pelvis bone cut and most of the time, I do saw through it. When it is cut, it forces the back legs to open wider and also seems to make removal of the rectum a bit easier.

Not a fan of doing that. That pocket right behind that pelvic bone is home the the bladder. If you cut around the anus with a slender blade and tie it off it all slides out with the rest If the guts. I guess there are 100 different ways the skin the cat.....I mean buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Easy to clean.  Worst comes to worst, just throw out the blade and replace it with a new one.

I think im pretty much sold on the piranta. Surgical steel/sharpness and easy to clean and very light.

BTW, ur avatar says your in the bronx.. I used to live in throggs neck. Where do u go hunting???

*edit*

just found this on havalon.com

"Merchant response: One of the best ways to clean Piranta knives, fold them up and throw them in the dishwasher. The stainless steel fitments and blades won't rust, and it'll come out good as new."

thats pretty cool

Edited by don23

I bought a Bear knife, very similar to the one in the photo,  a few years ago but haven't used it yet. Defiantly a top quality, very well made knife.

Edited by ants

A useful tool, but surely NOT the ideal hunting knife. I can only imagine how gunked up it would get gutting a deer. You'd have blood and guts under every single file, screwdriver, etc..

I carry my leather man around like some carry their pistols. It's on me 99% of the time. If I happen to forget my other knives, I'll still have my leather man.

If you can afford it, get the charge instead of the wave, it has a better blade and a gut hook/seatbelt cutter.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I'm a knife guy, production, customs,mid tecs . To me a knife is more then just a tool , my favorite folder gutted my first buck,canoed the Yukon river on my belt,hiked the canyons of Arizona with me and plenty more. It's probably the only thing I own that went on so many adventures .

Want a knife that works well,will be past down to future generations or just admired by them as the knife Dad/ Grampa carried on all his hunts ?

I would recommend a Bob Dozier. Made to your order, good for a few generations, and although more then the Wallmart crowd would pay a good deal for what your getting.hand made by an American knife legend .

http://www.dozierknives.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85

• 1 month later...

I bought a Bear knife, very similar to the one in the photo,  a few years ago but haven't used it yet. Defiantly a top quality, very well made knife.

The Bear 582 is a nice knife. The only thing that turns me off is the India stag bone. Not a true  100% American knife. Many are stated American, but most aren't 100% today.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter