Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Back to Geneseo tomorrow am . I plan to sit in my elevated blind by the pond again . Looks to be a bit cold and windy . Possible rain / snow early am and maybe later . My oldest son might show up around noon .

My SIL left a message this am the 2 anterless deer were in the pasture lot behind her house milling around for quite a while . It figures ! 

As I was driving down 590 and got to where it splits off to 490 the car on my right and ahead of me hit his brakes . I tapped mine and a doe ran across the road in front of us . Wasn't expecting that .

Was in the elevated blind by 6:30 . There was a slight bit of rain , then snow then rain again but not much .  Didn't see a thing all morning but heard an occasional shot here and there . My oldest son showed up around noon and headed to the woods .Around 1 pm I saw a doe come out onto one of the trails 150 yards away but crossed the trail into the high crap before I could get her in the scope . Around 2 pm I went to my double stand in the south east corner of the woods and again saw nothing . My son saw a spike and 3 fawns on the other side of the woods where he was sitting . They were close enough to shoot but not that big . Just before he was getting down from the stand he had to wait for 2 doe to clear and didn't shoot as it was past legal hours . Another exciting day in the Great Outdoors . Oh , I forgot to mention , it was COLD !

• Like 1

Tomorrow I will be heading to Geneseo again . I don't plan to get there until around noon . I intend to clear a spot and set up a Dog House Blind that will allow me to cover the Laneway for a distance and part of a Gully Lot . Time to try something else . 

Soooooo , I went to Geneseo late yesterday morning . I set up one of those Dog House blinds next to a busted down gate where I can see quite a way across a gully pasture lot ( where I got a doe last year ) and a long way down the laneway . I was setup at noon and sat until 4:30 . Legal quitting time was 4:37 . It was around 36 degrees but felt colder  . Never saw a deer . When I got out of the blind I looked down across the field where some guys have a double ladder stand with a camo skirt and saw at least 6 deer . In two years I have never seen anyone in this stand . I even told the guy that leases the hunting rights for that property and I guess he could care less . So , anyway , I plan to head back down there Saturday with the hopes that some hunters might be out and get some deer moving . 

Not too pleased with the temps for tomorrow . 7 am - 22 degrees with the real feel temp of 5 degrees . It is forecasted to get up to a blistering 31 degrees by 2 pm . I would like to see the snow stop tonight as I don't want to leave home with a lot of snow in the driveway . 

Bummer ! I was in a blind overlooking a gully pasture lot and a Laneway today . There was a light snow flurry a good part of the morning . Around 11 , I got out of the blind , walked to the woods , across the woods , through the thick stuff and back . Didn't see anything all morning . Drove to Geneseo village to use a toilet . Stopped to get something to eat and went back to the blind . All I saw all day long was a Red Fox . Heard shots during different parts of the day .

I probably would have been just as well off sitting at the computer with my rifle . At least I would have been warmer . 

I will be heading for Honeoye Falls in a few minutes . It is cccccccold out ! I don't expect to se any bucks but it would be nice to take another doe . Getting kind of old to be sitting out in this weather but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get a deer . 

• Like 1

Well I was in a blind in Honeoye Falls by 6:45 this am . Wasn't seeing anything but crows . Around 10 am I heard what sounded like an ATV or Snow Moblile . The engine was running for a while and I got out to see what was going on . It was my son's neighbor who is a retired Sheriff Deputy and he was putting wood in a trailer . I introduced myself and he said he was going to be splitting the wood in the splitter in my son's back yard (neighbor's splitter) . I figured the morning was a bust so I drove to the Corner Cafe in Mendon and got a coffee and pizza . Went back to my son's and crashed for a while . At 2:30 , I went back to the blind . Stoll nothing . At 3:55 my SIL in Geneseo called and asked if I was hunting at her property . I said no and she said she just saw 5 deer cross the pasture lot behind her house and then went to the window , looked down and a deer was chomping some vines by her fence right behind the house . Bummer ! 

Sunset was 4:36 . I got my stuff packed up and snuck out of the blind and up to my car . My son gave me a couple bags of Jerky and some back straps . I said the deer are probably out there no . We looked and didn't see anything . I was taking off my hunting clothes to put on regular street clothes and Matt came out of the house and said 3 deer were out back . They know they are safe when it gets dark ! 

Going to Potsdam Friday am for a grandson's graduation from Clarkston . The graduation is Saturday am so we got a place to stay for Friday night . Hope to get back out Monday or Tuesday . 

• Like 1

Didn't see anything during my afternoon sit . My son's  neighbor's kids were playing out back making a lot of noise . They were a ways away but loud . Thought if anything was out back they might kick it over to me but nos such luck . One more afternoon sit and I am done . 

• Like 1

I will be doing my last afternoon sit at my son's property in Honeoye Falls . Then it will be time to put all the hunting gear away . I already cleaned my rifle and shotgun . From what I have been seeing , it's hard to be optimistic about seeing any deer . 

Deer season ended well for me . I expected another crappola day of hunting and sat in a blind at my son's property . At about 4 pm I spotted some movement and saw 3 deer slowly approaching . All were doe . I put my NEF Huntsman 50 cal on the shooting sticks and when the big doe turned sideways , I squeezed off a shot . She ran off and I thought , how could I miss at 45-50 yards . Damn ! I reloaded .The other two had moved back but were probably wondering what happened . I put the ML on the sticks again and took another shot as the doe stepped into the opening . She dropped , got up and ran . I waited about 5 minutes and figured I had better check as I had about a half hour before sunset . 

When I went to where I knew I had hit the 2nd doe I saw blood going off in the direction that the 1st doe ran in . Found the doe about 50 yards from where I hit her and then went to look for the 1st doe . Found her about 80-90 yards from where I had hit her .

My son came out to see how I did and said they only heard one shot from the house . He got the ATV and sled and came back to pick up the deer after I had field dressed them . The neighbor came over to see how I had done as Matt asked him if he might be able to have the kids play in the front yard instead of out back just for today and I thanked him for doing so . He is a real nice guy and a retired Sheriff Deputy . 

20161220_does 2.jpg

20161220_does 3.jpg

20161220_does 1.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Drove to SILs in Geneseo to take down 2 blinds . Got my butt soaked . The Dog House Blind was a cinch to remove and secure in the case . The hub blind that I had on the raised platform was something else . I couldn't fold the darned thing up so I got it back to my SIL's barn and set it up in there to dry out . Got both down before anymore snow and ice . 

In the meantime I walked to the woods and it is more like a swamp . The water doesn't drain . Saw some heavily used trails and some possible trees to place a couple more tree stands . My boots got wet , my feet were soaked but at least I had accomplished something for the day .

I helped my SIL with a couple jobs and found the camera that I had lost over a month ago . It was hanging on the handle of a push mower that she had under her back deck . I had to be within 4 feet of it at least 3 times and hadn't noticed it hanging there . If I hadn't moved my ATV from there , it still would be hanging . So , it actually turned out to be a good day ! 

• Like 4

The camera was under the raised back deck that has a roof over it . Camera and case were dry and everything works . Every once in a while I get lucky . The killer was the fact that I had been within 3 -4 feet of it several times and never noticed it . After finding it , I put an ITAG in the case so I can track it . Any cases that would fit this camera are either black or gray or oversized ! 

• 8 months later...

I was in the woods by 6 am and in my stand by 6:15 . Sat there until 10:30 and never saw a thing . Pulled a couple of trail cam card and went to my car . Got something to eat and drink and chilled for a couple hours . Went to a different stand in the afternoon and got down at 6 pm . Spent 8.4 hours of legal hunting time . Other than squirrels the only thing I saw was a Blue Heron a couple times . I havn't been able to pattern the deer here . sometimes they don't show for 3 , 4 or 5 days . Nothing on a regular basis . 

It was a bit nippy this am (41 degrees) but warmed up the skeeters were back out around 4 pm and by 6 pm , I could no longer tolerate them . 

Anyway , I will give my back a rest tomorrow . 

I was in my stand in Mendon by 6:30 . Had a 4 point within 25 yards at 7:20 and another 4 point in the same spot at 8 am . It looked to be a good day . NOT !  Got out of the stand at 12:15 and went to the village to get a coffee and something to eat . Went back to the property and parked . Was back in the stand around 2:15 . Never saw anything all afternoon and got back down at 6:35 . I was at the North end of the property and had the wind in my face all day long . When I saw the small bucks I didn't  draw on either one as I have seen several 8's on the property during the summer .

Going to try Geneseo Saturday with my youngest son ............

• Like 1