Ground hunters...i need advice!

TeeBugg

So tonite makes three times now these 2 does have busted and blown at me. I saw them well before they saw me. And one blew. She was trying to fake me out and i never moved an inch. Any tips concerning ground hunting. Basically there are no trees suitable for stands. I have a hangon stand about 6 inches off the ground. Ive seen a ton of deer already and im getting a lil upset that it keeps happening. Help!

If hunting from the ground its more important to break your silhouette than to hide. Think about when you are  scanning the woods for deer. How many times do you first see a "line" or shape that is out of place then see the deer? All the trees are vertical then your eye picks out the horizontal back of a deer and as you focus you then make out the rest of it. Now imagine how quickly you would pick out something weird that showed up in "your" house. When we're sitting out there we are in "their" house and I firmly believe they recognize quickly when something is different. I think they recognize our shape and most often smell us long before they actually "see" us.

• Like 2

Definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Please don't take as sarcasm. It sounds like ur setup is a dead giveaway. Find out their path to your location and setup there. Im 6'5 260lb I stick out like a sore thumb on the ground.

Buy a cheap Camo burlap and some tacks for quick set-up between 2 suitable trees. Takes approx 8 seconds.Drape with branches and leaves for further enhancement. Hang some scent wicks around n about.

My dad is dropping some off in the morning. Figure itll help a bit. Im somewhat already brushed in but id like some more. It may be a dead giveaway but only to those two dang does. Ive already had a few walk by and not even look at me. Unfortunately they were either real small or out of range. Im gonna do some work to it before this weekend. Edited by TeeBugg

If hunting from the ground its more important to break your silhouette than to hide. Think about when you are scanning the woods for deer. How many times do you first see a "line" or shape that is out of place then see the deer? All the trees are vertical then your eye picks out the horizontal back of a deer and as you focus you then make out the rest of it. Now imagine how quickly you would pick out something weird that showed up in "your" house. When we're sitting out there we are in "their" house and I firmly believe they recognize quickly when something is different. I think they recognize our shape and most often smell us long before they actually "see" us.

I have to agree. They must know i just dont look right lol

If you see them from long way they can see you.... move closer and in thickests cover you can find.. your shot should be broadside or quarting away, not coming at you... you shoulnd see them till they are almost in range

The farthest i can shoot in this area is 25 yards. Literally once i see them they are in range. But there are certain areas where i can see them from a distance.

Go to a sporting store and buy a 4'x12' ft, camo netting and some dark rope., useing clothes pins to hang the camo  on the line that can be  run between two or more trees . Do not pull line tight, you want some slack so that it looks natural. Go the were the deer were standing and look back to the place that you want to set up and see if it is your outline they are seeing , if so you want to set up with the netting behind you to break up your outline.or you can set up behind it.. I also sometimes pickup sticks and put in the ground to hold the netting. I have hunted on the ground for the last 30 years and have used this setup many times when I can't find a natural setup and have taken many bucks useing the camo netting. It is lite and easy to setup in two min. and it can be used any place that you want to hunt. I also use arm and hammer baking soda and put in my hair and all over my body. Good luck and be safe.

• Like 2

Ive ways hunted ground and what i find is no sudden movements and blending in with the forground is an absolute must. If you dont match your backround and your body isnt broken up then have fun. I find that by having myself near brush piles or up agaisnt trees helps a lot.

Im up against a tree, but to be honest im wondering if my camo might be too dark. Sounds odd but for some reason i bet i look like a huge blob up against the tree. I dug out some other camo and going to give that a try. Also dug out my facemask for turkey hunting. After the hunt im going to make some brush piles in front of me and behind me as well. It used to be like that but seems as though its gotten thin. I WILL harvest a deer from the ground! Its on my bucket list!

• Like 1

If you have a dmp then shoot the main one that keeps busting you. At my property we had a real old doe that would bust us every year for 3 years. Finally I used that dmp and no more problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ive got a tag with one of their names on it :P

99% of my hunting is done from the ground bow/firearm

it is a heck of a lot harder in my opinion but a lot of fun. They can & will bust you so much quicker on the ground make sure you wash your camo's in scent free & UV killer wash. I have had the same thing happen one year. they would come out with a perfect wind & stare right at me. I thought I was pretty well hidden but I think I stuck out like a sore thumb. also if you sit in the same area Dont sit in the same spot. Move 40 or so yards from where you were sitting. from what you have said it sounds more like they are seeing you or hearing you move rather then smelling you but never underestimate their nose thow out a couple scent wicks just to make sure

I have found that wearing a ghillie suit works best.. become the brush..lol.. seriously though a good leafy outfit will help out if you have limited cover... and even though you think you're down wind, sometimes the woods you're in actually creates a swirling wind that you can't detect.. blowing your scent all over the woods and alerting the deer... you can only do what you do and the deer do what they do in hopes that the advantage leans your way somehow...

I hate to state the obvious but are you doing everything you can to manage your scent? Besides washing clothes and self in hunter soap do you keep both scent free before hunting like not stopping for gas. Even the wrong cover scent can spook them. I like the earth scent personally as it seems not to alarm them. With all that said if you are seeing them you are almost there hang in there and I'm sure you will score, good luck.

I hate to state the obvious but are you doing everything you can to manage your scent? Besides washing clothes and self in hunter soap do you keep both scent free before hunting like not stopping for gas. Even the wrong cover scent can spook them. I like the earth scent personally as it seems not to alarm them. With all that said if you are seeing them you are almost there hang in there and I'm sure you will score, good luck.

Im as scent free as humanly possible! :)

Oops double post

Edited by TeeBugg