Scrapes

silent death

Just a quick question, saw a big 4 point making a scare on the edge of a field today, do other bucks use them? Will i have a chance seeing a big buck if i put a camera over it?

No one will know if a "big buck" will come in but you will get different bucks going to that scrape if you put a cam over it. 

You plan on taking a 50 yard shot with the bow?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Was thinkin i catch im in the way to checking it. Dont they scent checkem before goin in? On a trail leadin to it id where im plannin to sit at night. Dependin on wind

2.5?  I've never seen half a deer before.

half a scrape. Like he started makin it then stopped after a few strokes

Yes Vince, hunting right over the scrape rarely results in a good buck going down. They check down wind many times and sometimes will make a straight line to it. Some people believe in the j-hook method. Worth googling and learning about.

Your plan is good. Look for an extremely faint trail downwind of the predominant wind direction. Many times it'll be in cover with the occassional open sight view of the scrape area. They'll scent check it from there in many instances.

Edited by phade

Vince - Last year, I made a mock scrape ~15 yards from my stand (only good location with an overhanging branch). I watched a good buck come in, like he was on a string to it! Mentally, I already had him wrapped and in the freezer!  :biggrin:  He came in downwind from my scrape, got 20 yards from it, put his nose in the air to scent check it (I neglected to freshen the scrape that morning before hunting), and just turned and wandered away. Still haunts me! I believe if I there was fresh scent in the scrape (BTW, I use my own), there would have been a better chance that he would have come in to investigate or work the scrape himself.

Edited by Cabin Fever

1C I have 11 different bucks visiting a scrape that was opened up a few weeks ago.  Most of the action is at night but within the past few days there were 2 different bucks that were there in the morning around 7am. both were nice bucks.  We have a stand right over the scrape and i was holding off on hunting it until things got good but will be in the stand on Saturday morning. I cant wait!!! some of the bucks that are  showing up are real nice ones.

John