I gotta keep my vote yes for AR

sits in trees

Haven't seen a buck like this in 30 hard years of hunting in Ulster, and hes not the only one. Several big 8s and even a monster 10 taken right in my area this season. If all were perfect from my perspective I would say hunters under a certain age limit or hunters who have never taken a decent buck should be allowed to shoot anything. But AR is a yes for me.

post-31-0-31217400-1384173300_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Haven't seen a buck like this in 30 hard years of hunting in Ulster, and hes not the only one. Several big 8s and even a monster 10 taken right in my area this season. If all were perfect from my perspective I would say hunters under a certain age limit or hunters who have never taken a decent buck should be allowed to shoot anything. But AR is a yes for me.

How long has there been an AR where you hunt? I seriously doubt that it's been long enough to have that much of an influence on how many big bucks are in your area. Think about how many bucks have been left to rot in the woods because instead of paying a fine for an illegal buck they just leave them.

How long has there been an AR where you hunt? I seriously doubt that it's been long enough to have that much of an influence on how many big bucks are in your area. Think about how many bucks have been left to rot in the woods because instead of paying a fine for an illegal buck they just leave them.

Actually it would only take 2 years to see an increase in the size and age of the bucks if the majority of the 1.5's get by the hunters. Since it was a 3 point rule some of the 1.5's still get taken so it probably takes longer. I know areas that voluntarily pass the 1.5's and they have seen pretty substantial increases in 3-4 years.

• Like 2

That's a nice buck.

It doesn't take eons for deer to get that big. Not too sure about people just shooting bucks and letting them rot, it happens but not on some grand scale.

I grew up hunting PA before the antler restrictions and can say that once they were imposed there has been a dramatic increase in mature bucks taken. Yes antler restrictions can be considered a pain but at the same time they don't take long to get use to and you will begin to see results within 2-3 years.

I have been a believer in being able to shoot whatever you want and thought most of the hunters I knew felt the same way. Well, I was surprised when I asked them and a little over half said they wouldn't mind the restrictions as long as everyone had to follow them. They are always telling me the bucks that I pass up are just getting shot by someone else. I have memories and pictures that prove them wrong, but they will continue to shoot the first buck they see. I guess I am still against them no matter how I hunt.

45dcc556-bae4-4145-bf4d-dfe6abaa4ae8_zps

See 1 1/2 year olds like this by me all the time. Yep, enact ARs, 4 points on a side even. Still pointless here....

Your pic is steep from your stand, but you think he is 1.5 and not 2.5 or were you just saying you have 1.5's like this particular deer?   Any trail cam pics of him broadside not from a steep vantage point?