Sounds of Opening Morning

BUCKANDAQUARTER

We usually have a nice big dinner at camp the night before the opener. If I have been lucky during bow season it included grilled backstrap. It never fails as I stand  in front of the grill I few shots just before dark. not 'a few' like in a last minute sight in job but as in one here and another there thype. Talk about early shots.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Because hunting used to be a vigorous type of outdoor activity, and now it's filled with a bunch of lazy a$$es who can't walk 150 yards to their stands!

I take the longest route to my blind or tree stand thinking i am not kicking and chasing deer away

I have hunted the last day or two of bow season the last few years, (this one I am too) and it never fails, apparently the season starts two days before the opener. lol

I witnessed it first hand by the way, while tracking a buck I hit some dude unloaded from a conversion van on it and made off with it in a heart beat. SOB!!!

boy i wish i can walk 150 to any of my stands! lol

my closest set in one my my spots is a 400 yard walk. my furthest out here is half mile and mine upstate is half mile. all walking, no atv... next year im placing a stand close from my truck for next year. i see giant deer at this one spot for 3 seasons now and find myself asking why i am walking almost a half mile in when all the shooter deer end up in the spot so close to where i park lol

I would say most people hunt within a mile from a road or house/cabin.  The majority probably less than 1/2 a mile.  That is really not that far to walk.  Even uphill.  Me at age 50 and even my wife who doesn't hunt can do 6 or 7 mile hikes in the woods during the summer in a few hours time.  I see way too many 20 something people not wanting to expend the energy for a short hike to their hunting stands.  In my mind it's like WTF??  Are these people so lame??  If they can't do it at 25 years of age, they sure as hell won't be able to do it at 55, which is quite pathetic.  These guys spend thousands on ATV's for only a handful of trips hunting, then lug it a couple of hundred miles to their hunting land, all this to avoid a short hike to their stand, and then maybe some dragging if they are successful???  To me this is almost unbelievable.  Lets not even get into storing that bloody ATV for the other 11 months of the year.  To each their own of course, and I surely can't stop these people from preferring to take this easy road.  I can't stop them, and they can't stop me from once again calling them lazy a$$es.  

I walk .6 miles to the train station, then .7 miles to work from the train station. So 2.6 miles each day in dress shoes/clothes. However, hunting-wise I walk about 250 yards in. If I went any further I would be on someone else's property.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I would say most people hunt within a mile from a road or house/cabin. The majority probably less than 1/2 a mile. That is really not that far to walk. Even uphill. Me at age 50 and even my wife who doesn't hunt can do 6 or 7 mile hikes in the woods during the summer in a few hours time. I see way too many 20 something people not wanting to expend the energy for a short hike to their hunting stands. In my mind it's like WTF?? Are these people so lame?? If they can't do it at 25 years of age, they sure as hell won't be able to do it at 55, which is quite pathetic. These guys spend thousands on ATV's for only a handful of trips hunting, then lug it a couple of hundred miles to their hunting land, all this to avoid a short hike to their stand, and then maybe some dragging if they are successful??? To me this is almost unbelievable. Lets not even get into storing that bloody ATV for the other 11 months of the year. To each their own of course, and I surely can't stop these people from preferring to take this easy road. I can't stop them, and they can't stop me from once again calling them lazy a$$es.

I hear you on the young kids. Don't use one myself but sometimes wish for one when dragging. Cart usually does just fine though

$5,500 new wheeler in 2003. Put 2 100 mile rides on it in PA and the Snirt Run up north. It has 486 miles on it. That works out to $11.31 a mile. and worth every penny to avoid dragging a deer. I haven't dragged one since 2003 and with my sciatic problems this season I actually am gettign fond of the 150 yard walks to the stand....LOL

• Like 1

$5,500 new wheeler in 2003. Put 2 100 mile rides on it in PA and the Snirt Run up north. It has 486 miles on it. That works out to $11.31 a mile. and worth every penny to avoid dragging a deer. I haven't dragged one since 2003 and with my sciatic problems this season I actually am gettign fond of the 150 yard walks to the stand....LOL

You're a good guy Culver.  Me and Doe will come up and help you out, if you let us hunt in some of your good spots and let us shoot bucks or doe, big or small.  It will be our good deed for the year!  It will almost be like helping a little blue haired old lady across the street.  LOL

You're a good guy Culver.  Me and Doe will come up and help you out, if you let us hunt in some of your good spots and let us shoot bucks or doe, big or small.  It will be our good deed for the year!  It will almost be like helping a little blue haired old lady across the street.  LOL

Don't do it Culver. They are like Hemorrhoids, once you get them they never go away........

Edited by First-light

Ya know, we have about 8 kids, 25 and under in our club, and they are nowhere near lazy @sses just cause they use ATV's.  They've been riding since they were young, worked a couple of jobs to get their cars and ATV's of their own. Would go out of their way to help anybody, and are way better hunters than we are, cause we taught them the right way to do it, like our fathers did.  They walk the property when the deer aren't moving, we put on drives and everyone gets to walk and sit, we use those new things called walkie-talkies to keep in touch with each other so we don't shoot in the wrong direction.  Hunting has enjoyed all the advancements that man can come up with, and we've come a long way from having to use a spear.  By the way, when is spear hunting ? Man I miss the old days. :D

Come on out. I have more than enough already tied up to the trees.

The SOUNDS OF OPENING MORNING aren't what they use to be about 14 years ago when I first started hunting. The first shot by someone in our gang was always 7 to 715. Now we are lucky if someone shoots by noon the 1st day.

Yes I still hear those pre legal time shots. I would have to say that the shooting has reduced by about 70% since I started hunting in New York.

Don't do it Culver. They are like Hemorrhoids, once you get them they never go away........

Actually Bert, if your camp wants some deer meat this year, I'd suggest you do invite us up!  You guys have been hitting trees instead of deer this year so far.  So dab on some Preparation H, and let us come up!  LOL

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

Opening morning of rifle season starts on Friday by me as far as the deer are concerned ! Friday the camps fill up, then the shooting " sighting in " starts. That lasts most of the day, then when that gets boring the camps empty out, as everyone heads up the hill to check and make sure the rock or stump they sit on is still there, some need to look for a spot to sit cuz they have no clue where to go. It's all part of the tradition here.

I will leave camp at 4:30 Friday morning and head up the mountain with my bow to hunt the edge of a thick bedding area loaded with rubs and scrapes. Hopefully I can sit all day and catch one of those critters getting the heck out of the low areas :-) 

I too love the thrill of opening morning. Usually can't sleep for two nights before. I have to say it's been rather quiet by me the last 10 years. Yeah, there's been a few years where my camp along with a few surrounding have 5 or 6 deer by 10am , but that's not the norm. Even have a lib couple down the road who let 3 shots go every few hours to scare bambi away. The quad thing is another problem. I feel it has to scare the deer away. Just think, all year no noise, and now opening morning 10 quads racing up the hill. Even worse, this year my partner and I had to go out and get a machine. We'd start out earlier than most walking up this 70 degree hill right in back of our house. If its wet or snow it's two steps at a time. By the time we got to the top, which is about an 1/8 of a mile, the guys on quads were passing us up. Even looked at a Buggy Boy but the hill is so steep no electric vehicle could make it. Any ways, going up tomorrow, good luck to y'all. Maybe the radio stations will play "The first day at deer camp", the new guys don't even know that song.