how high is to low

whitedolphin

I took two deer this year Bowhunting out of a 15' stand.

Still thinking about bumping that up with some sort of extension for next year because truthfully I'm more comfortable in the 16'-18' range.

30' up in a climber?  ??? 

Screw that noise, that far up a tree and I'd probably piss myself. And that's all there is to it.

30' in a climber is too much, especially for bow hunting. You are creating angles at short range that just plain dont coincide with a good, clean kill shot. I have been hunting more with my climber this year than ever, and I dont go past 16 or 17 feet tops. Theres just no reason for it unless its 30 feet up a tree that sits in a skinny 15 foot deep draw.

I find it all depends on thetree you plan on hunting and the surrounding hanging limbs. There are times I have been up to thiry to get above neighboring tree limbs. I did not wnat to cut them since they offer great cover. Other times, I'll stay lower for the same reason. My true comfort zone is 20-25 feet.

Anywhere from 15 to 25 feet.  When you use a climber always look at your back drop so if the deer do look up you are not silhoueted against the sky.  I know people who use them just to get off the ground they say they don't go over 5-10 feet.  Just use our discreation.  30 feet you get a hell of an angle when the deer come in close.

I find cover is key. But with a climber your going up a phone pole tree more or less, so cover is slim to none, unless you can get next to some.

When in my climber I go at least 20 and on as big a tree as possible.

17-20 feet is plenty enough to allow you to draw.  Higher than that makes shooting much tougher. Epecially when deer are close.  I once missed a very nice 10 point that was only about 8 yards from the base of the tree while i was up about 25 feet. I actually killed the best buck of my life out of a 15 foot ladder stand that seems very short to me.

I am scared of heights so I don't go that high usually 10 to 15 feet . Most of my trees have pines right behind them so i have cover . last year i shot a doe on opening day I was ten feet high and she was eight yards away she had no clue I was there as well as another doe that hung around for a few minutes that did not spot me.