Do you Stand or Sit

BackWoods Hunter

Do you guys use a stand or sit against a tree when you're hunting in the big woods? The older I get the more I dislike my climber and would rather not use it. At the same time though, I don't want to get busted. I figure if I'm off their trail and downwind, what's the point in using the thing other than to get me off the cold ground.

I pack my climber always during bow season.. Gun season i might bring it in opening day, but after that im finding a nice blowdown to sit on. The root system usually helps break up my outline so i dont have trouble getting busted. I like to stillhunt during most of gun season so im stop and go all day. I usually find my best bow spots on these still hunts, as you can cover some ground and get a better feel for the woods

Both.  I don't hunt from trees, period. I prefer to stand and lean against a tree. It's much easier to scan 360 while standing. But I do tire and need to take a load off periodically. That's why I have one of these clipped to my belt.   Any fallen log or stump will do, which is great as I like to still hunt when conditions permit.

Portable Seat

• Like 2

Both.  I don't hunt from trees, period. I prefer to stand and lean against a tree. It's much easier to scan 360 while standing. But I do tire and need to take a load off periodically. That's why I have one of these clipped to my belt.   Any fallen log or stump will do, which is great as I like to still hunt when conditions permit.

Portable Seat

I use the same seat, Steve...Problem is, I have a habit of LOSING them in the woods...I'm on my third one now..LOL..

The stands seems to be the way to go when it comes to (still)deer hunting. The reason is you can cover more ground with your eyes from a higher point. When your on the ground standing next to a tree or sitting on a log you can only see according to the ground surface(terrain). Although, being on the ground and moving from place to place has proved great from many years and will continue. It's actually up to you, but as ever hunter needs the odds in their favor, go with what works best for you.

I love still hunting.  Bought a stand in 2001 I used it less than 5 times.  Do not disregaurd tree stands, when you have a choke point you want to hunt they are great.  Advantages are many with a stand especially if you are limited in space. 

I used a stand in big woods one time, never again.  Plus I do not like sitting in one spot all day...  I like to roam and see if I can figure the deer tacks.  I give credit for tree stand hunters, that is some cold hunting up them trees.  Plus I like the fair chase with ground hunting, makes it more interesting and I learn much more on the ground than 20 feet up.

• Like 1

I still hunt most of the day, and usually find a nice spot to sit up against a tree for the final hour and a half or so of shooting light.  I to like to being on the ground part as NFA had stated, you can really learn the habits of the deer you are hunting this way.  Last weekend while still hunting I was able to pattern the deer that I shot sunday.  I figured out where he was coming out of the swamps into the hard woods at night and just slowly still hunted through that area and caught him sneaking out of the swamp on one of the runways.  I do have a few stands that I hunt that always have deer activity, but the big woods are always changing, they are not as predictable as deer in fragmented habitats, so I feel that still hunting and finding a nice spot to sit works best for me, you can keep up with the changes in habits.

• Like 1

Just like my ancient ancestors, I eventually came out of the trees and am now a ground dweller. Actually, I have a phobia about heights, and have learned the art of ground-stand construction. Not only does it avoid my "heights thing", but I have also come to prefer the excitement involved with taking on whitetails in an eyeball to eyeball state. It doesn't get any more exciting than having a deer on the opposite side of your stand, so close you could reach out and touch them. Yes I do believe it is a handicap, but then challenge is the main reason for my hunting.

Sit or stand? .... both. I have an aluminum collapsible stool with a canvas top that I have used for 15 years now. I prefer standing, but these old legs need a rest once in a while, so I do both standing and sitting.

From this point on, through the rest of the gun season, I will be still-hunting since all the natural daylight patterns are busted and the deer are in full survival mode. No stool carried along for that. When I need a sit-down, there are plenty of logs to sit on. I generally put on a very, very slow walk into the wind for about 10 - 15 minutes and then find the nearest big tree and stand there for about the same amount of time checking out every inch of ground ahead of me (often with binoculars), and then move slowly ahead again for 10 or 15 minutes. Pretty effective way of sneaking up on bedded deer. You don't cover a lot of ground, but you do cover it thoroughly. I'll be heading out this afternoon to get into a still hunt, taking advantage of this noisy wind. It's bucks only for me now, and I have a few places that have been productive in the past.

Great. Thanks for the posts. Sitting on the ground it is. The climber was really starting to make my hunting experience less enjoyable. I was starting to dred having to climb with that thing, maybe because of all the threads about people falling out of them. And Steve, I appreciate the tip. I'm going to pick one up today.

• Like 1

I started this year packing a climber into the woods. Done doing that as I have learned I prefer the ground 90% of the time. I find packing in a stand is a pain. It's noisy, and completely awkward to carry in. I use a stool for bow because I find pulling back the bow is hard when my butt is on the ground. When gun season comes I just use the back of a tree and insulated seat cushion,

When I started there were no climers or ladder stands, all was on the ground then I bought a climer got older and then bought a ladder stand ( have not used it for 2 years.Then I bought a ground blind,that fell apart ( was out 24/7 ) now I use a strap on swivel seat on a tree.It's all about where you post.

• Like 1

I just saw a nice tripod seat at a local Herb Philipsons, it had a swivel seat, folded up. what I liked the most was the legs on it, you could extend each one to adjust the height. I hate finding a great spot to sit and find my bucket or whatever I'm sitting on, wanting to tip over because of an unlevel ground.

If it's too crunchy to walk quietly, raining and/or stupid cold I opt for a ground blind.  Otherwise, I like to attach a thermarest to my pack and still hunt to an ambush spot just off a trail. Sit against a tree, in a blowdown, on a blowdown...whatever makes sense for the wind and a good backstop for a shot. I put up my first treestand this year and sat in it only once during bow season. I keep saying I'm going to use it. But everytime I go out I change my mind. 

I just saw a nice tripod seat at a local Herb Philipsons, it had a swivel seat, folded up. what I liked the most was the legs on it, you could extend each one to adjust the height. I hate finding a great spot to sit and find my bucket or whatever I'm sitting on, wanting to tip over because of an unlevel ground.

By any chance is it similar to ] this one?

If so, I have one like it. Mine's just green plastic but the same design.  Storing and removing the legs from the base is a pita.  Even with the legs stowed, it's a pita to carry. I suppose if you put it inside a backpack it may be ok but I don't use a backpack.   It does swivel but it's far from silent when it does.   I'm happier leaning against a tree or sitting on a log/stump with my flat foam pad.  YMMV