Road Hunter Problems

stop em and drop em

Saturday morning I get upstate to Delaware County where my family has property since 1966. I get there about 8AM, excited with the chill in the air and a fresh coat of snow on the ground. I drive past the house to scout from the road a minute and see vehicle tracks on the shoulder, well, the usual, someone maybe taking a look? I go to the old farm start a fire and get dressed hoping to score this weekend. I drive up the road to quickly check some trail camera cards and see whats on em. The someone I assumed was looking, actually shot a deer from road, parked his vehicle down further for easy access, and loaded  the deer onto his vehicle. It really upsets me when you work to make the environment more conducive to deer, pay taxes, and someone else makes off with the goods. Earlier this fall someone stole a moultrie trail camera I just purchased too. Yes, my property is posted. Was not happy to say the least.

It is a shame that people do not ask and just walk on to hunt. I like to ask first and if the answer is no just thank them.

I had some guy with his son last year park in front of my house in the rain, open the truck window and was showing his son how to shoot a doe on my front lawn from his truck.

I ran out in just my BVD's  and they drove off without taking the shot.

I do have 1 place that a guy from LI owns that give me the ok to hunt and he asks me to make sure if I see anyone to ask them to leave, he hunts just for gun so for me it great, to hunt with the bow there. He asks that I not shoot doe's and only 7 point or bigger. I just hunt from the ground with my bow, I do have a plastic chair in a ground blind that is by a fallen maple tree. I did not take a deer there this year but did see a few bucks that maybe in the 7 to 8 point next year.

at 72 years young I am thank full to anyone that allows me on there place to hunt.  All around me on Swart hollow road , most of the land is posted. Not like my place in North Pharsalia that I had for year were I could walk off the back door to 7500 A's of state land.

How is getting off the road and out of your car make it legal to shoot a deer on someone else'e property? The deer belong to the state, but the property belongs to someone else.  That would be like saying well the deer was on my neighbors property, but the deer belongs to the state so it is ok to shoot it.  The law states you cannot shoot from the maintained portion of the highway which includes the ditch line.  My question would be are you sure it was shot and not hit by the vehicle?  Either way they have no right to trespass to get the deer.  

That might be the only way you can pursue this issue further. Shooting of the deer is legal because they are considered state property but going on to your land would be a charge you could pursue.

Thanks to the incident at the beginning of the season..a DEC lieutenant told me that as long as my land is posted ...properly,corner signs and at least one sign every 600 ft...no one can legally fire into my property to kill a deer..unposted property is a different story... 

Thanks to the incident at the beginning of the season..a DEC lieutenant told me that as long as my land is posted ...properly,corner signs and at least one sign every 600 ft...no one can legally fire into my property to kill a deer..unposted property is a different story...

corner signs facing each direction and the max spacing is 660'

How is getting off the road and out of your car make it legal to shoot a deer on someone else'e property? The deer belong to the state, but the property belongs to someone else.  That would be like saying well the deer was on my neighbors property, but the deer belongs to the state so it is ok to shoot it.  The law states you cannot shoot from the maintained portion of the highway which includes the ditch line.  My question would be are you sure it was shot and not hit by the vehicle?  Either way they have no right to trespass to get the deer.  

Thanks guys for the info, I am still trying to understand all the laws themselves. I never agree or would practice in road hunting but as a hunter I try and know every law so I will never find myself on the wrong side of it. I always thought the law was stated the deer were property of the state so shooting it was a legal act but retrieving it was were you ran into breaking the law. Also Bubba I thought as long as you are off the road including the shoulder then you are in a legal shooting area. But this is why I consult in people who have years more experience then myself, like you guys so thanks again! 

There is ethics and the law. Bubba hit it on the head. must be clear of any maintained portion. Could be even more than the ditch if there is a mowed area beyond the ditch that they maintain.

Ethically a shot on to posted property (or even property you don't have permission to go on) would be wrong. I am not sure they could charge you to trespass for shooting on to that property but I believe there are violations for wanton waste for not making recover efforts they could hit you with.

Unposted Property --- I don't go on someone's property unless I have permission even if it's not posted . I know the boundaries of the properties I hunt . It only seems right .

Neither do I Eddie...but in NYS it's posted property...they sometimes.... protect.....mine and most ppl around me...signs run between 60ft and 150ft....one land owner close by...had me turn to Mr. B. and say..."and you think I'm bad..."...signs roughly 40 ft apart...ppl are just getting tired of the fools out there....

Saturday morning I get upstate to Delaware County where my family has property since 1966. I get there about 8AM, excited with the chill in the air and a fresh coat of snow on the ground. I drive past the house to scout from the road a minute and see vehicle tracks on the shoulder, well, the usual, someone maybe taking a look? I go to the old farm start a fire and get dressed hoping to score this weekend. I drive up the road to quickly check some trail camera cards and see whats on em. The someone I assumed was looking, actually shot a deer from road, parked his vehicle down further for easy access, and loaded the deer onto his vehicle. It really upsets me when you work to make the environment more conducive to deer, pay taxes, and someone else makes off with the goods. Earlier this fall someone stole a moultrie trail camera I just purchased too. Yes, my property is posted. Was not happy to say the least.

Where in Delaware county are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i had a problem years ago, pilled logs 6ft high out by road(scotch pine) that were useless a nice natural fence that you cant see over, and letting a neighbor hunt (parking a car in drive and making tracks in and out of drive) seems to have stopped 90% of it.

• Like 1

Technically Masonville, betweenTrout Creek and Sidney Center

Are you county rt. 27 or one of the town roads between there ?  Any way you look at it whoever was your property was in the wrong. 1 because he/she didn't have permission. 2 recovering animal without proper permission. 3. state, county, and town technically own right of ways to properties 20 feet from center line of road, so most ditches are within that 20' center line so you have to be on property side of ditch to fire any firearm or bow.

There are a lot of road hunters around and they really get PO when they are doing 5 mph looking into the wood and you are on there back bumper trying to get them to pull over and let you pass them, most of the time there are 2 in the vehicle one driving and one with a firearm ready to fire.They shot a deer near me last year like that ,the owner of the property called the police with the plate # and they got a bunch of fines from the ECON officer.These people just do not give a damm about laws.This year before archery season I was outside of a store talking to someone and the asked if I was ready for hunting season,my reply was I was getting ready. One of the fellows that had gotten fined as I said above was standing near by and said, You mean you don't have one hanging yet..  

That sucks your camera doesn't work that day.  I hunt allot of state land and I love posted signs, I'm always nervous when I'm out there that I'm not were I'm suppose to be.  I post every other tree on my own personal property and walk it with my dog at least once a week.  The neighbors and a few friends are allowed to hunt it.  We average at least 2 trespassers a year.  Some folks just do not care.  Best of luck.

I hate road hunters.One opening day years ago I scored early and was on my way home.I was following a p/u truck and there was a brushy gully along the side of the road, all of a sudden the brake lights come on and a gun sticks out the window towards the brush.I laid right on the horn.Apparently they didn't know I was behind them as the gun went back in real fast.