Yuckkk

CuseHunter

After cutting up hind steaks for jerky, I had 11lbs of meat. My cabelas seasoning kit is pre measured for 5lbs of meat. Ended up separating it into 3 batches, one 4.5lbs teriyaki, 4.5lbs original, and the left over amount ~2lbs for the pepper flavor.

I decided to use only 1/2 the seasoning packet in the 2lbs batch and didn't use the pre measured cure package and eyed some cure salt I had in a bag from before. Obviously over poured by a lot because the 2lbs batch turned out disgusting, beyond salty tasting.

Anyone have an idea for a fix to salvage the jerky? If not, I guess I have some premium treats for the dogs.

I was thinking soaking the jerky in water&bbq mix for the night then re-dehydrating.

I give em treats after coming in from outside, small pieces the size of a quarter as they are always coming in and out. It wouldn't be me giving them a whole piece. So I'm not too worried about the salt for them.

They might have to chase it with a beer.     <<grin>>

Would feeding a dog venison possibly make the dog chase deer ? I seem to recall that old wives tale when I was a kid .

All the dogs I ever had never ate venison and never ran loose .

if that's the case, I'd have to tape it as it would go viral. A welsh corgi whose belly clears the ground by 1". It would look like the deer is running with a dingle berry hanging.
  • Like 2

Would feeding a dog venison possibly make the dog chase deer ?  I seem to recall that old wives tale when I was a kid .

All the dogs I ever had never ate venison and never ran loose .

not true, all my hounds use to eat deer meat, 

if it were true I would of feed them black angus burger, and sent them out to rustle me home a few head of beef

It's true.  :fie:

This year I started giving meat to a friend for her dogs in exchange for hunting rights. She raises mastiffs and is world-known/ranked within the "mastiff show and breeding circuit." These dogs are big and beautiful. They also eat a lot. I at first had an issue with giving her meat for her dogs, but I am fine with it now after seeing the whole process and results.

She moved to an all raw diet of natural foods - chicken, pumpkins, etc. and so on. She also feeds them wild game. Most often freezer burnt/leftover venison, but she also has some elk and other meats.

Most of my carcasses go to her now as she takes the ribs (I'm not eating them) as well as some of the leg/neck meat I can' seem to enjoy. I gave her one whole doe, too.

The dog's coats are magnificent and they are well-proportioned and active. Makes me re-think the food I give my lazy-azz dogs.

didn't use the pre measured cure package and eyed some cure salt

Rapid curing using nitrites is today's preferred processing method, and nitrite is added directly into cured sausage, hams, bacon, etc. Nitrites are the primary chemicals that are responsible for the inhibition of pathogen growth when curing meats, and nitrite is a very effective inhibitor of the growth of Clostridium botulinum, the bacteria that causes botulism poisoning.

Nitrate in itself is not successful in producing the curing reaction. Nitrate must be reduced by lactic acid bacteria (Micrococcaceae species) or other natural means including microorganisms present in meat to nitrite to cause color change. Inevitable, this means that the color forming process will be more dependent on the activity of the Micrococcaceae species and that color formation will take longer than in sausages using nitrite. Since Micrococcaceae species are inhibited at low pH, sausages relying on nitrate reduction must be fermented by a traditional process. Nitrate is still used by many dry sausage manufacturers because nitrate serves as a long time reservoir of nitrite, but it has also been reported that sausages cured with nitrate have a better flavor than when cured with nitrite.

Nitrates and nitrites must be used with caution during curing. Both can be considered toxic and for that reason, strict limits on their use have been established. Usually, the amount of added sodium nitrite lies in the range of 50-200 mg/kg and nitrate in the range of 200 to 600 mg /kg. Excessive use of nitrate (too much) and/or nitrites can cause severe oxidation of the meat pigment producing a green pigment. This form of greening of cured meats is referred to as nitrite burn.

Would feeding a dog venison possibly make the dog chase deer ?  I seem to recall that old wives tale when I was a kid .

All the dogs I ever had never ate venison and never ran loose .

Seriously? All I can do is shake my head....LOL

I feed my dog(s) venison, both raw and cooked. They lick up the blood on the driveway and right under the deer, chew the bones, etc. Never chased a deer or anything like that. You would have to train the dog to associate that meat with the live deer first.

• Like 2

I did soak the meat for the past 2 hours in water, and drained the water every ~30 min. I noticed a definitely reduced amount of salt taste, before it was literally like licking a salt block. Now it is just noticeable toward the center of the meat. It's marinating in BBQ sauce/ water mixture now to add some flavor. After it sits in that for ~45 min. I'll dehydrate it.

If it tastes good I'll end up eating the jerky within the next couple days to be safe. If it's still nasty, it'll be cut up into treats.

I think what people were afraid of was the dogs developing a "taste" for deer and then going after them when they had the chance. It sounds like a good theory, but it does impart a level of reasoning and association that dogs just don't have. If that were all true, then feeding your dog beef products would have them chasing cows .... lol. When dogs chase deer, it is usually because they just naturally chase things. That's their nature. Anything that runs will get chased. Those that are concerned about their dogs chasing deer should be more concerned about allowing the opportunity rather than worrying about what the dog eats.