My 2013 bow buck DIY Euro

blackradio

Story about the buck is here http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/19650-had-the-hunt-of-my-life-last-night/

My first bow buck after 3 years of bowhunting. I like this mount. I think I will do this to every buck. Last year I had the skull cut longways which came out cool but I like this look more although it is a PITA to get the brain and some other parts out. Really happy with it and it took a while to finish. May change the plaque shape eventually but it works for now. Love the dark rack.

post-568-0-12970900-1388887799_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-58815000-1388887874_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-98995000-1388887897_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I used the Salon care 40% peroxide paste mixed with some whitening powder. Put a coat on with brush, let it dry a few hours then put on another coat, let dry then I think i lightly rinsed off the extra and was done.

I hope you washed that stuff all off or you won’t have a skull left in a few years. In the future apply one good coat, then wrap with saran wrap and place it in front of a heat source (wood stove, space heather, pellet stove) for about 20 minutes rotating it allowing it to heat up. Without heat your bleaching solution is pretty much useless. Then remove the wrap and submerge entire skull in water followed by a good rinse to remove the chemicals. Always wear gloves when handling that stuff as it will cause permanent damage to your nervous system if it enters it.

Also be sure that you degrease those skulls good or you’re going to have serious issues down the road.

I hope you washed that stuff all off or you won’t have a skull left in a few years. In the future apply one good coat, then wrap with saran wrap and place it in front of a heat source (wood stove, space heather, pellet stove) for about 20 minutes rotating it allowing it to heat up. Without heat your bleaching solution is pretty much useless. Then remove the wrap and submerge entire skull in water followed by a good rinse to remove the chemicals. Always wear gloves when handling that stuff as it will cause permanent damage to your nervous system if it enters it.

Also be sure that you degrease those skulls good or you’re going to have serious issues down the road.

yes, as I said, I washed it off. The bleaching worked pretty good without wrapping. I think it looks pretty white and wouldn't want it much whiter than that. Yes, degreasing was the biggest PITA