taking down stands

2012_taco

Went out and took down all my stands, put them in the garage for the off season. Now I just have to remember to go over them and make repairs, touch up paint etc. thinking of adding a foot rest to my stands w/o one already. I learned to love the footrest on long sits. I probably can bend up some conduit and camo tape or just paint it. Should work fine. we will see.

My ladder stands are all black . What's to paint ? 

The foot rest sounds like a great idea . I have short legs and the stand gets uncomfortable after a while . After driving 50 miles one way , I tend to stay from dark until dark . Going to try to do more Hub Blind sitting in 2014 . 

I leave the stands out year round but loosen most of the ratchet straps and replace them every couple of years . They are inexpensive .

With hang ons , I change the straps each year .

Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply have the straps on sale several times a year .

I plan to do some scouting this winter to check the deer travel and find a few different spots to move stands to ...... I realize the deer will travel different routes in warmer weather when food is more plentiful but I have a couple thick areas that are stand possibilities .

double check the cables if they are hang-ons. They should be changed every 2-3 years. Mine are still out in the woods will get them in a couple of weeks, weather permitting.

I had the cable that goes from the Frame to the Platform break one year . I bought some chain to replace the cables with .... It was a bit scarey when the cable snapped !

My buddy said I can have his hang on i helped him put up about 6 years ago. he lost interest in hunting and left it in the tree. I found just the spot for it too. while hunting the land i got permission to hunt this years i found some beautiful hardwoods. I was looking around and i found "the perfect" tree. I was really excited to find such a spot... i looked up and some one else must have had this "perfect" tree. There was an old ratchet strap grown into the tree about 20 feet up, no stand, just a tie down strap. lol. i guess i'll take it down next year when i hang the stand.

7 down 30 more to go..always check cables even coated theycan rust and you dont see them , much safe to do when 2ft off the ground than15-20 ft up in a tree.. straps, seats,and ssqueeks can allbe repaired on off season, as well as adjusting stand locations by a few feet or yards every year... leave up up and the deer move out of range or accident can and will happen.

• Like 1

you guys that leave your stands up all year really need to take a close look at the stands, They are made up of tube steel and water gets into the pipe and freezes. I have had the steel split open from the freeze action of water, threw that stand away, I didn't trust it with a big crack in the platform.

It is a good idea to replace the straps on hang on stands.The straps are nylon and that will sucomb to uv radiation. I alreaddy have my stands out just because of the formentioned, I dont want them to fill with water  and freeze. Just a note. the API treestands use a size 2040 chain witch can be bought at tractor supply.

Dont hang your stands so that the platform is angled sloping away from the tree, and you wont have to worry about water getting in the tube or not draining.

I leave all of mine out all year. I check them in the spring and again in the fall before season. If they are in need of touching up, etc, I take them down and fix them up. I swap straps out about every 3 years. Havent had to replace any of the cables on the hang ons yet, but when I do, Ill use chain instead of the cable. If any rust occurs on the stands, the area gets coated with POR15. Never have to worry about it again.

i looked up and some one else must have had this "perfect" tree. There was an old ratchet strap grown into the tree about 20 feet up, no stand, just a tie down strap. lol. i guess i'll take it down next year when i hang the stand.

Be careful with that...if it has grown into the tree than it has caused damage to the tree bark and thus weakening the tree from there up....why I don't use my climbers much any more....healthy leafed out.... looking maples...with the tops blown out of them...weakened by bugs....the thought of be being strapped to a tree who's top could drop out of it...and it's happened on calm days...scares me...I have a couple of times been walking along on a calm day and heard the crack...to barely have time to pin myself against the nearest tree and a maple top and log brushed down along side of me.......Looking at those trees...you'd never realize that would ever happen...