Governor Announces Support for Crossbows in NY

Tinlodge

Talking to people across the state for the past year.  Polls done across the state.  

you're probably pretty close if not on the mark...........I know many gun owners who are unaware of how it may effect them, I bet many gun owners aren't avid shooters or hunters.....the extent of their owning a gun is just that, owning one.

join the groups who did the polls.  do a little work yourself if you want the info.  

I guess you fail to see the fact that I'm calling you out for typical "I post facts on the internet without backing them up" nonsense.

The results must not be too hard to achieve if you read them and weren't afraid to post it... unless of course they're made up. Because I have a real hard time believing it's 20%.

belo prove me wrong then.  Why should I do the work for you.  You seem to know it all please prove me wrong.  The statement I made is dead on. Do a little work for once.  You seem to like to call me out a lot. Go for it. I wish you would.  but that would require some effort on your part I understand.  You are clueless when it comes to this subject, but you sure think you know it all.  I will be waiting to see your results

Edited by bubba

I do not know the percentage...but Bubba is correct in the fact that many gun owning casual hunters have little or no idea what the safe act really is....and yes that is from talking to ppl..Not #'s on a piece of paper....the ones that do know think it has nothing to do with their owners ship in any way...

I wonder how many gun owners simply have only an old rusty .22 or shotgun sitting in a closet. These people really aren't effected by the safe act. They probably already have a lifetime supply of bullets (a couple boxes). Some of them may even agree with getting rid of those scary black "military" rifles. By the way, you would be surprised how many people believe that the AR style rifles are all fully automatic. There may actually be an awful lot for us to learn about our own gun-owning population. Maybe they really aren't all on our side.

sure do ...handguns,rifles even an assault weapon...just pointing out how our different "factions" of sportsmen chose to drive wedges among us for/against crossbows,real hunters/slob hunters,and it got real personal. dont think for a second that the ones that would like to eliminate all hunting and guns are not watching us essentially self destruct from within and using that against us.and i find it  even more ironic that this is a crossbow thread and some of those more vocal,"wedge drivers",if you will,are on here calling for all to come together now and fight.i not only believe in the 2nd amendment but i believe in the entire constitution.i find it just as despicable , when a  self serving group like nyb and their sympathizers hijack a self serving politician, like sweeney,and deprive other americans of their freedoms,ie to choose which hunting implement they want or can use.cuts both ways ya know?

Your credibility went right out the window by condemning the speaking out against slob hunters. I am believe it or not - sick of arguing with people, it is much easier to go with the flow and get along, but you are being irresponsible with that statement and compelling me to be a prick...

I agree with you we are self destructing but for much different reasons than you do. However, I agree with Doc that we hunters are a very diverse community and the community of gun owners is even much larger and more diverse.

I don't want to have the actions, motivations, and mentality of other hunters being perceived as my own. If you do, so be it, that is your bussiness. As a matter of fact when talking to a hostile landowner or a person on the fence about the morality of hunting  the first thing I do is draw a clear line. To say one of my duck hunts can be compared to the way someone hunts deer, turkey coyotes is ridiculous. More ridiculous is to make that comparison when any form of hunting is done irresponsibly, unethically, or illegally.  It is also ridiculous to make a statement that all hunters have a strong conservation ethic or that hunters are generally knowledgeable about conservation - because generally they are not...

Edited by mike rossi

wow.... now the anti crossbow fellow hunters/real hunters on this site after spending years insulting men like my father who would like to restart bowhunting again with a crossbow,would like us to all band together and fight the evil anti gun legislation/legislators.just imagine how many people who have read your insults now read your call to action and shake their head in disbelief.

nothing against anyone disabled, as I have always supported crossbows for them, but I felt this would be a good time to post a picture of a guy I went to school with father. This was in NY last year. This is passion.

0F68D6D9-0206-4698-B00F-D4916F75BBC3_zps

I do not know the percentage...but Bubba is correct in the fact that many gun owning casual hunters have little or no idea what the safe act really is....and yes that is from talking to ppl..Not #'s on a piece of paper....the ones that do know think it has nothing to do with their owners ship in any way...

you both just proved my point. You can't possibly have any relative data by talking to a few people in your part of the state. A course in statisics would tell you all you need to know about sample size, who was sampled etc. No offense intended to either of you, but there are thousands of gun owners of various walks of life. To not even hear about the safe act in the news is hard to believe. And for the casual gun owners you're refering to, owning an 870 that they keep in their closet coated in dust, the SAFE act doesn't really change much until they go and try and buy ammo, which is probably very rare.

nothing against anyone disabled, as I have always supported crossbows for them, but I felt this would be a good time to post a picture of a guy I went to school with father. This was in NY last year. This is passion.

0F68D6D9-0206-4698-B00F-D4916F75BBC3_zps

Great pic, and great guy for doing it, but I wouldnt call that passion exactly, Id say its his only option. Now, if crossbows were legal, and he still chose to do it that way, then Id say its more of a passion thing.

well I guess my point was that he loves it so much that he keeps doing it eventhough it's difficult. There are many who would quit.

I posted this video below too before, and I guess my only point was that some will overcome almost anything to do what they truly love.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/06/14/warrior-games-mark-obrien-salute-troops

<soapbox>

Why some are against crossbow legalization just boggles the mind. Remember when compounds first came on the scene and there was such an uproar about how it would totally ruin "bowhunting" and that it should only be legal to use traditional bows?  How many of those people use compounds today.  Same with inline smokepoles.

People really need to look at the FACTS of of the weapon and not just go with kneejerk reactions or the holier-than-thou attitudes about being better, more challenging, etc etc etc.  They should be legal, period. You don't want to use them? Don't.  But don't tell me that I can't simply because you think it's not manly enough or it doesn't require the same effort.

</soapbox>

huff-puff-huff-puff - sorry I just couldn't stand it anymore... and with that I'll shutup

Edited by bluecoupe
  • Like 1

well I guess my point was that he loves it so much that he keeps doing it eventhough it's difficult. There are many who would quit.

I posted this video below too before, and I guess my only point was that some will overcome almost anything to do what they truly love.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/06/14/warrior-games-mark-obrien-salute-troops

It is cool that he does that, but you cant really say its a passion for using a vertical bow, when its his only archery option. Just saying, maybe you shouldnt be using it in that fashion to try and further your anti crossbow agenda.

JMO

<soapbox>

Why some are against crossbow legalization just boggles the mind. Remember when compounds first came on the scene and there was such an uproar about how it would totally ruin "bowhunting" and that it should only be legal to use traditional bows?  How many of those people use compounds today.  Same with inline smokepoles.

People really need to look at the FACTS of of the weapon and not just go with kneejerk reactions or the holier-than-thou attitudes about being better, more challenging, etc etc etc.  They should be legal, period. You don't want to use them? Don't.  But don't tell me that I can't simply because you think it's not manly enough or it doesn't require the same effort.

</soapbox>

huff-puff-huff-puff - sorry I just couldn't stand it anymore... and with that I'll shutup

The 1st part of what you said is exactly why I would rather see xbows in their own season. We have lost enough hunting traditions.

The 1st part of what you said is exactly why I would rather see xbows in their own season. We have lost enough hunting traditions.

Personally (and I hunt with a compound and a modern inline ML) I think there should be separate traditional seasons. The inline ML should be in gun season and the compounds should be in a section of archery with the crossbows.

sorry that was directed at bluecoop

I don't believe I ever indicated that I thought you DID attack me.  My statements were completely general in nature.  If I have something to say directly to you, believe me; you'll know it.

I just get really fed up with people who think they know my life better than I do.  As for separate seasons as mentioned prior by someone who I don't recall.  Is that why compounds and inlines have their own seasons?  That's about as crazy as it gets. What about the next technological advance? Yet another season?

It is cool that he does that, but you cant really say its a passion for using a vertical bow, when its his only archery option. Just saying, maybe you shouldnt be using it in that fashion to try and further your anti crossbow agenda.

JMO

You already know I'm pro crossbow for elderly and disabled. I am not trying to advance any agenda with those 2 posts. I am simply saying that archers are usually dedicated individuals whose hobby is difficult and not for everyone. I think a lot of us like this about archery. Anyone can pick up a rifle and go deer hunting. A select group are dedicated enough to bow hunt. It's like belonging to an exclusive club and this usually leads for the pro-crossbow crowd as labeling us as elitest. Oh well, I guess. More American entitlement. A trophy for everyone, and lets make hunting easier because bowhunting is too hard for me and I don't want to put in the time to learn. Lets legalize baiting too. That would make it easier for me to kill deer.

I don't believe I ever indicated that I thought you DID attack me.  My statements were completely general in nature.  If I have something to say directly to you, believe me; you'll know it.

I just get really fed up with people who think they know my life better than I do.  As for separate seasons as mentioned prior by someone who I don't recall.  Is that why compounds and inlines have their own seasons?  That's about as crazy as it gets. What about the next technological advance? Yet another season?

you're attacking those who are anti-crossbow. This is me. So I was simply giving you some unsolicited advise. Instead of wasting your time complaining about what's wrong with the anti's. Why don't you state your case for legalization. Many of us have made up our mind and aren't switching sides no matter what. But plenty will read this who are on the fence. Your negative attitude to those opposed doesn't help your cause.

You already know I'm pro crossbow for elderly and disabled. I am not trying to advance any agenda with those 2 posts. I am simply saying that archers are usually dedicated individuals whose hobby is difficult and not for everyone. I think a lot of us like this about archery. Anyone can pick up a rifle and go deer hunting. A select group are dedicated enough to bow hunt. It's like belonging to an exclusive club and this usually leads for the pro-crossbow crowd as labeling us as elitest. Oh well, I guess. More American entitlement. A trophy for everyone, and lets make hunting easier because bowhunting is too hard for me and I don't want to put in the time to learn. Lets legalize baiting too. That would make it easier for me to kill deer.

Just for the record. Anyone can just pick up a rifle and go deer hunting, just as the can with a bow. Carrying either weapon or any other isn't hunting. The actual shot is an important but very small part of getting it done. IMO

See, I dont see it as making anything easier, just adding another option.

If the level of difficulty is what you are all about, give up the compound and any gun you currently use and go to a long bow and open sights flintlock. Also, toss out your stands and hunt from the ground, with no store bought camo.