Governor Announces Support for Crossbows in NY

Tinlodge

I understand the purpose of this law. I know they have all kinds of problems controlling urban and suburban deer populations. The damned deer are just too adaptable. I'll tell you what would be a good compromise. For get the 150' change. How about you can hunt with a bow as close to occupied buildings as you want as long as you have obtained written permission. That way you could sit on some patio furniture on somebody's deck if that's what turns you on, but it would only be in cases where the people affected were in agreement. But keep the 500' rule in effect where permission is not granted.

you can already do that if you have permission from the landowner.....no need to change anything.

• Like 1

On the other side of that there have been incidents where land owners have been told they were to stop using the chain saws...mowing trails...walking their property lines...for in the eyes of the DEC officer it didn't need to be done while the person was hunting...and told they could be charged if doing those activities further and law officials were called out..

I don't know .... For some reason, I just can't imagine sitting or sneaking around 50 yards from somebody's house. It seems so weird to be thinking I am actually hunting. It would feel more like some kind of voyeuristic infringement on people's privacy. I don't really want to hear their personal arguments, or listen to their blaring TV sets, or sit there with the family dog barking at me, or sit there on display while they stare out their windows at me .... lol. Hell, I moved out into the country to get away from people. I'm not really in any hurry to use my hunting time cozying back up to them

I agree with this. However, this guy and friends were right behind my house. I hunted the stand and heard people talking, dogs barking, etc. You might reconsider the "lack of hunting experience" to get a crack at him too.

i have better daytime pics that i cannot find

PICT0072_zps6095ee77.jpg

Edited by Belo

Next time everyone gets a chance to get onto a measured range, just take a look at what 50 yards really looks like. Those that regularly shoot from that distance, should try to think back to what that sight picture looks like. Any reasonable person pretty much has to admit that that is entirely too close for hunting activity.

And then also if you have ever had an accidental release triggering, try to remember just where the arrow wound up relative to where you intended it to. At some point it would be interesting to her a little common sense applied to this issue.

Wow bowhunters are now going to become peeping toms LOL because the dec wants to relax setbacks possibly affording someone the opportunity to hunt a piece of property that they couldn't hunt before,probably because some rotten anti hunter wouldn't

Agree to waive the 500 ft rule......and you guys/girls are taking the anti hunters side?....sad and oh you might have an "accidental release triggering"........yikes

Wow bowhunters are now going to become peeping toms LOL because the dec wants to relax setbacks possibly affording someone the opportunity to hunt a piece of property that they couldn't hunt before,probably because some rotten anti hunter wouldn't

Agree to waive the 500 ft rule......and you guys/girls are taking the anti hunters side?....sad and oh you might have an "accidental release triggering"........yikes

And how are you going to feel when you shoot a deer 150 ft from the anti's house and they don't let you retrieve it?

Going to be proud of that kill?

More ifs and buts....why not let those hunters who choose to hunt Closer than 500 ft of an occupied dwelling figure out what will work for them.i suspect the vast majority of them will plan and set themselves up so that your worst case scenario doesn't occur.my lord....they're perverts,they're going to accidently shoot somebody,the neighbor is going to let their deer lay and rot on their front lawn? Just seems that any change so that someone has a new opportunity to hunt is a bad thing to the same old people here.

That's right...because hunters should have more rights than any or their land owning neighbors!!  yep I' 'll be straight up...set up that close to my home...you'd best pray you drop the deer in it's tracks..or it runs away from my property..for there will be no recover  in that case period...I am a home owner first...Hunter second

Well....then we're not talking about hunting as a community we're talking your deer.i own a home and a cabin with 233 acres.my property is posted tight as a drum also but I believe that I'm not entitled to all the deer.i have neighbors who hunt,we respect our mutual property lines,but as sportsmen if a wounded deer cross our property lines we,after a heads up,go and get them.and I don't think their trying to look at my ass if their less than 500 ft from my property line.at least you just came out and said it instead of coming up with the bullshit scenarios we've been treated to here.the "accidental release triggering"was a peach. hunters should have the same rules regardless whether they own property or not. if a wounded runs on to you property your entitled to not allow that hunter to retrieve it.

Still didn't answer my question.

How are you going to feel letting that deer go unrecovered  when you knew that was a possibility beforehand when setting up 50 yds from the owners deck?

and I don't think their trying to look at my ass if their less than 500 ft from my property line.

It's not property lines - most of the discussion is about those wanting to set up at close as 50 YARDS to someones house in a suburban setting. If you do don't bow shot deer are going to travel of the less than 5 acre spot you have permission, you have not killed many deer with a bow.

While I have enough land to insulate myself from this kind of invasive activity, I am able to put myself in the position of some suburbanites who may have to put up with some unwelcome intrusions. We all have the right to a certain amount of privacy whether we are hunters or not. And we are not really going to be making any friends by imposing ourselves on others. That really shouldn't be a real difficult concept to understand. Personally, I have no desire or need to hunt in places where I can listen to every word of somebody's arguments, or keep up with my favorite TV programs by getting myself all cozy with my neighbor. That's not "taking the anti hunters side, that is just common respect for the privacy of others. And from the other side of the situation, unless you were a close friend or relative, there is no way I would agree to have somebody hunkered down 50 yards from my house either. That's simply ridiculous.

And the accidental release comment was regarding backyard practice that can take place by anyone....experienced shooters, kids just fooling around, someone who has a care about safety and those that don't, those that might have adequate backstopping and those that have none. And yes, that arrow does not always go where we plan, and those that laugh about the possibilities of accidental releases and other types of safety issues are precisely the reason I believe that 50 yards is way too close and they provide all the reason I need to oppose a setback reduced to 50 yards.

• Like 1

first off as most on here know I do allow recoveries and even had my cell # printed on my posted signs for just that reason...do you?...I never said MY deer...I said set up next to MY HOME and there will be no recovery...period...I believe out of anyone here..... I with a medium sized parcel may have the most ppl bordering me. Only one area someone could set up close to our home and I know from experience they will try...when they have a 150+ acre lease to hunt..

Now lets address the accidental release...It's happened to me and I know for a fact guys have mentioned that and loops letting loose...lets talk how far and in strange directions arrows hitting those unseen or thought would miss branch deflections also talked about here... In fact I had a shot on a live deer as well as my 3D that deflected off backs...on the live deer I watched the arrow zip up..not down... and off out into the woods and was never found...the target one went another 30 yards and through a steel live stock gate...

So yes some times things happen...with the attitude that you have displayed.... I would come to the conclusion that you'd be one of the........ got to get the buck at any cost ...no common sense hunters that some here worry about...Really you thought accidental release was a "peach"

As far as "peeping Toms...Well guys are guys and when bored glancing all around with the binoculars would not be an unheard of thing...I would not want to have a teen aged daughters bed room ..or my bathroom in view...sorry I have read some posts here....they don't put me at ease...and I would think it wouldn't some Dads on here either..... Not guys only ...woman are just nosy...I have a neighbor with a spotting scope a little over a 1/4 mile away...there's nothing she does not see...thankfully..... for she's alerted me on many occasions of trespassers. The point is ppl want their privacy and their ability to be at home around their yard! and feel safe and secure.....

Edited by growalot

.....i own a home and a cabin with 233 acres.my property is posted tight as a drum......

Well, that explains why you are so free with the privacy rights of others. You'll never have anybody move in that close to your cabin, so the hell with everybody else. Good attitude.

Still didn't answer my question.

How are you going to feel letting that deer go unrecovered  when you knew that was a possibility beforehand when setting up 50 yds from the owners deck?

It's not property lines - most of the discussion is about those wanting to set up at close as 50 YARDS to someones house in a suburban setting. If you do don't bow shot deer are going to travel of the less than 5 acre spot you have permission, you have not killed many deer with a bow.

I would bet even the majority of anti hunters would let you get it. They wouldn't want it to lay there and starting to stink next to the kids sand box...lol

Jason118, on 05 Feb 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

When do we find out the regulations of use for our area? My father can't pull a bow back any longer and I would like to get him set up ASAP if it's going to be plausible in our area

In the meantime, there are devices to assist his draw.

Yes and that was the initial plan, he would need a new set up either way. If we were sure crossbow is going to pass , I would just get him that instead of spending the money on a bow with all the extras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, that explains why you are so free with the privacy rights of others. You'll never have anybody move in that close to your cabin, so the hell with everybody else. Good attitude.

my privacy rights, in so far as we are taking about real estate, end at my property lines and thats the way it should be,no?i don"t think many would agree that your privacy rights should extend past your property lines.and really the potential pervert under the guise of a bird watcher could set up 50ft from your home now,as long as he is on his property,and watch.....you now.and as far as my attitude i try to keep it firmly planted in reality...its worked well for me.