Seneca White Deer in Danger.

I understand what he meant, but it sounded like is was concocted by man, This is one of those topics where some people will see the benefit of trying to maintain them while others will see it as no big deal. I enjoyed the ones I saw. From the tours this group ran it appears there are many others that did as well.

I like looking at them. I think they are pretty cool. BUT .... It is true that they are simply a freak of in-breeding due to some rather severe interference with the normal plan of Mother Nature. You know, really when you think about it, natural dispersal is kind of a safeguard to a healthy and natural safeguard of the species. I'm not saying that they are doomed to grow two heads or anything, but generally inbreeding is discouraged rather than encouraged. And those 24 miles of fence certainly upset that part of Ma Nature's principles. In reality, they probably should have engaged in a trap and transfer program years ago that kept the deer fenced out rather than in.

• Like 1

We just talked about this at work other day. Someone seen 2 white deer close by to the depot. Others says saying how there is a big population outside the fence.

Wonder if they just open part of fence to let the deer "come and go" as they please what that would do to the population. I would love to see an all white deer, i have only seen a piebald buck outback some years ago

We just talked about this at work other day. Someone seen 2 white deer close by to the depot. Others says saying how there is a big population outside the fence.

Wonder if they just open part of fence to let the deer "come and go" as they please what that would do to the population. I would love to see an all white deer, i have only seen a piebald buck outback some years ago

The groups desire is to have something there that would allow public access in to be able to enjoy all the wildlife that is there.  I gues two offers for the property were made. one a pig farmer (hoe the locals enjoy that...lol) the other was Safari club international (what do you think their intentions are?)

I don't think there is any doubt that there is money out there floating around unassigned. But understanding that is a long way from supplying credibility that they have any of that lined up for financing their vision. That is the kind of thing that I expected to find on their web-site. Something to show that they have at least a financial plan to carry out what they are asking their perspective members to sign up for. It would appear that they have gone no farther than the "wish-list" phase.

Sent you a PM, its to long, windy, and wordy to post, ...

It poses an interesting debate. Along the lines of high fence hunting. Is it OK for high fence tourism? Especially where keeping them contained to preserve genes is the only premise? I guess they do that in zoos to a degree with white tigers, so there is a precedent.

I guess my question is, why not just take a handful and throw them in the zoo and let that place earn some tax revenue if a developer wants to come in and make something of the place? I tend to side with Doc that I just don't see a great explanation of the details that the org is trying to accomplish. It may help if they were to clarify the end game and how it could be funded and handled. The map they layout doesn't exactly scream revenue generation.

The big problem I see with the site for development is utilities as well as all the structures that are being left by the Army. All the bunkers and such are there. The amount of demolition for those massive concrete structure would be huge dollars to remove.

While I find these deer very beautiful they are only that way due to excessive inbreeding allowing a recessive gene to show up more than would occur in nature.

I actually went on a tour there in 2012 and we saw one white deer and about 100 regular ones. The history of the depot was very interesting.

I would prefer to see the fence come down myself, they are not meant to be fenced. I would also like for the county to designate a section to stay forever wild.

• Like 1

Why can't we just get Emperor Andy to issue a decree and tell us what we have to do with it?

L.O.L. Careful what you wish for.

I' driven through that area hundreds of times over the years and the deer are something to see.

The fence is not deer-proof by a long shot. I think the deer tend to stay there because they want to.

Looks like they're leucistic.  Albinism is the is the lack of the melanin pigmentation.  Leucism is the lack of all pigmentation.  Many albino animals will have reddish eyes but not always.  Leucistic animals will have regular eye color.

I live, work and hunt around the depot, Ive seen the holes people cut in the fences and ive seen deer jump the fences, As far as large populations outside the depot thats untrue, Yes a few deer escape every year and end up getting killed, The depot also has a large turkey, coyote, population and could produce some of the best lottery based hunting you could ever hope for, If run properly and wasnt abused by the people in charge, It very well could bring enough revenue  yearly to maintain the fences and run the property under a well planned game management system, Not to mention it could be used for eco tourism, Atv clubs, the possibilities are endless on how this property not only could support its self ,  provide jobs and be a  boost to our local economy, i myself am willing to pay to go and take pictures and look for shed antlers, Some of the biggest deer you will ever see are inside that fence, If they set it up similiar to a state park entrance fee,  The county getting what isnt needed to run the facility they could be happy with it, JMHO

Of course, so far we have only heard one side of the story. I do wonder what kinds of job-related activities are sacrificed if the area becomes some sort of park. We don't really see that side of the argument being presented, but you do have to wonder. I also wonder if there really are any self-sustaining state parks that do not wind up costing state tax money to maintain. I know that whenever they threaten belt-tightening budget cuts, the state parks are always the ones that seem to get targeted, so there must be some significant costs involved in those operations. Anyway, let's just say that I remain skeptical, and I don't see enough detail on the financials and logistics of all of this.

I agree with SteveB.

The only reason the herd is there is because of mans interference: first the fence, then the base commander initially declaring the first mutants off limits to shooting. They are neat to see, but other than that Ma Nature in her wisdom would weed them out.