Cold Effects On Your Job?

Lawdwaz

As far as my current job of enjoying retirement, this cold weather really sucks. Too bad I'm not into ice fishing.

I don't understand how those guys that have to repair damaged electrical, phone and cable lines can stand it. I mean the uglier the weather, the more likely they will be required to be out in it. But then those guys that are laying down asphalt in the dead of summer don't have it all so nice either.

• Like 1

I spend 3 days a week hand digging 3' diameter holes by 4' deep. And 4' diameter holes by 4' deep And also spend a good portion of the week up In the 50' bucket truck tipping in flag poles. With this cold weather and the ground frozen I'm not hand digging again until march so now it's just going up in the bucket and restricting flag poles. It's cold on the ground and even colder when you get up 30 -50'

I can't wear my regular dress slacks because it's too cold and I don't want to get dirty slush on them so I'm forced to have to wear khaki's all the time which I don't have that many of so I end up wearing them several times between washes.  I bundle up to get to my office but once I'm in my office, it's just too warm.  How am I suppose to look good in this weather?  Can't you feel my pain?

• Like 1

I can't wear my regular dress slacks because it's too cold and I don't want to get dirty slush on them so I'm forced to have to wear khaki's all the time which I don't have that many of so I end up wearing them several times between washes.  I bundle up to get to my office but once I'm in my office, it's just too warm.  How am I suppose to look good in this weather?  Can't you feel my pain?

The world can be a cruel place ..... lol.

• Like 1

Ha! 

I love your dry sense of humor Elmo.  You'd be a hoot in camp......................................................................... :fie:

:bye:

• Like 2

I am an electrician and you get used to it,I try to plan less stuff outside but usually most of my work in winter is outside and summertime I am in attics lol. It always gets slow in winter since people don't do much work on houses. Most of my work lately is generators and small stuff

I am an electrician too! Winter isn't usually too bad, but these past few weeks have been brutal. Working in a half built greenhouse complex where some of the walls aren't up and even if they were, it's just glass. Couple that with a GC who doesn't seem too worried about getting temporary heat in the building, and it has been a rough couple weeks. I'm a young guy (mid 30's) but even I get worn out pretty quick in this weather. I keep looking to one of my coworkers for inspiration. He just came back from 2 years disability after a bad car wreck. His legs and hips are full of titanium. When it got down to -14 like it did last week, he said his doc told him to be careful cause his legs will freeze from the inside out. If he can do it, I guess I can suck it up!

sent from somewhere out there....

Sometimes fashion just isn't possible..don't be too hard on yourself 

• Like 1

As far as my current job of enjoying retirement, this cold weather really sucks. Too bad I'm not into ice fishing.

I don't understand how those guys that have to repair damaged electrical, phone and cable lines can stand it. I mean the uglier the weather, the more likely they will be required to be out in it. But then those guys that are laying down asphalt in the dead of summer don't have it all so nice either.

I was one of those electric linemen for 40 yrs.(retired now)  & this cold weather su#ks!   And the older you get & longer your out there the worse it gets!   When its -10* at 2am its dam cold hanging on a pole 5o ft in the air with a 30 mph wind blowing up your back & a$$!  We use to work side by side with the tree trimmers too & they work their a$$ off also.    It really erks linemen when the media feels sorry for the mailmen, ha!   When the lights are out & people are snug in beds the linemen are out hanging on poles.  Then we get the people who bi*^@h that we stop,run in & get a coffee .

• Like 1

There has been a crew trimming along the power lines, down the road from me. I give those guys a lot of credit, I don't know how the hell they do it in this weather. 

That's what I do. And these last 2 weeks have been horrible . Between equipment failures and just how easily the cold/wind wears you down its a daily grind. Coupled with the fact we're working in the Fort Plain/Canjo area. Which don't get me wrong is a beautiful place, but the damn wind never stops, your either down in the valley freezing or up in the plains freezing. The funny thing is how fast your body almost regulates itself to lower temps, Thursday might hit 25, that will feel like a heatwave! Stay warm my friends!!!

Ha! 

I love your dry sense of humor Elmo.  You'd be a hoot in camp......................................................................... :fie:

:bye:

+1.

Been mostly outside all winter doing major renovation on good sized home. Lots of changes both structural and cosmetic. Framing is mostly wrapped up outside now.

Pay is steady, material is mostly there when I need it.

Its paying for a hunting trip so I don't really care how cold it is. LOL

• Like 1

That's what I do. And these last 2 weeks have been horrible . Between equipment failures and just how easily the cold/wind wears you down its a daily grind. Coupled with the fact we're working in the Fort Plain/Canjo area. Which don't get me wrong is a beautiful place, but the damn wind never stops, your either down in the valley freezing or up in the plains freezing. The funny thing is how fast your body almost regulates itself to lower temps, Thursday might hit 25, that will feel like a heatwave! Stay warm my friends!!!

You got my respect…  sitting in a bucket or even on the ground trimming in sub zero weather, and  with high winds  all day?  I don't know how long I would last, especially since Im getting older, but it wouldn't be even close to half a day. I freeze my ars off just clearing the driveway in this crap weather, and I dress like an Eskimo. Stay warm and safe. 

+1.

Been mostly outside all winter doing major renovation on good sized home. Lots of changes both structural and cosmetic. Framing is mostly wrapped up outside now.

Pay is steady, material is mostly there when I need it.

Its paying for a hunting trip so I don't really care how cold it is. LOL

Sounds like a fishing camp?  :good: