Thoughts on this wound?

Five Seasons

My 40 doesn't have a ton of coyote pressure. I get them here and there on cams, and there's a few big dogs but last night I had at least 2 dogs running around the 40 popping several cams at opposite ends of the 40. Then I see the pics of this buck that I have seen a hundred times and I think this might be a bite mark? Too big for a gouge I think, but also maybe an arrow, maybe car?

Thoughts?

IMG_0142.JPG.d4cc94cc2d729da8668a8717e97f5ec0.JPGIMG_0174.JPG.c36f4c88f8b2c22e103304e3f08b15a6.JPG

Too perfect lines for coyotes. Road rash maybe. Could even be a mite issue.

I don't put a ton of stock in IR photos due to how they can distort the way we see stuff. IE a coat molting looks way different in daylight vs. IR. 

I have seen this with wire fencing too. Have a few deer like this now with the ruffed up back like that and all are in the vicinity of barb wire fencing.

Edited by phade

12 minutes ago, phade said:

Too perfect lines for coyotes. Road rash maybe. Could even be a mite issue.

I don't put a ton of stock in IR photos due to how they can distort the way we see stuff. IE a coat molting looks way different in daylight vs. IR. 

I have seen this with wire fencing too. Have a few deer like this now with the ruffed up back like that and all are in the vicinity of barb wire fencing.

yeah this guys a homer so I'm sure I'll get some daylight pics soon. I'll post them when I get them. Not much barb wire fence around, but for sure the potential to snag it on something, somewhere. 

Do you have pictures of this buck for the last few months? To me, It looks like a wart or one that has fallen off. And at worse case, Road rash/car damage but i dont think to highly of that. And i dont believe coyote either. Id certainly be curious to se if you have prior pics of this deer? 

Possibly an attack from an avian creature.. 

you know this buck and the "wound" just showed up? day light pictures will help a lot for sure. typically yotes don't go for that spot even when bedded i think. they go for the hams as it's easier to latch on to. like @LET EM GROW said i'm thinking it's more like fibroma (deer warts). they can come and go. harmless to the deer in that spot.

• Like 1

Most of the time when coyotes attack a healthy deer, (rare this time of year) they will go for the hamstring at the back of the hind legs. To incapacitate it, so the deer can't get up. Then make quick work of it. So my thought is this is not a wound from a coyote.

Looks more like an abrasive wound of some type to me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Belo said:

I'll keep looking, I think this is the same guy. I have a few 3/4/5 pointers running around and the thumbnail pics aren't super high res. A lot of him are at night or the other side. 

IMG_0134.JPG.9fa41f573214e0fcec604fe63ccd4757.JPGIMG_0134.JPG.ac0935c4df2ade607f5e6c2e485a956e.JPG

Drinking and setting cams?

5 hours ago, phade said:

Drinking and setting cams?

No there's just a real steep hill here :drinks:

In all seriousness I really struggled to find a good spot to cover a scrape next to a run and the plot and the best tree to do this also had a scrape by it that I didn't want to disturb so I went with a larger thick bush type thing and clearly a day later I realized that wasn't the ticket, although it still is taking good pics lol.

Edited by Belo