New garage going up.

First-light

My first deal fell through and thought it wouldn't be built until next spring. When buying the tractor the owner gave me the name of a contractor 

that specializes in barns/garages. Called and he had a window to build so I took it. 24 x 32 Gambrel style. Big 4 x 4 windows, 16' overhead door and 1 exterior door. Board and Baton siding. 10' walls. Green metal roof to match my house. 

Stairs to the loft that will be a finished room for guests. Exciting to see the walls go up today!

IMG_7276.jpg

• Like 35

Looking good. Like the idea of upstairs room for guests. 

I've got two apartments above my shop.  There in ruff shape and need to be gutted. The previous owners rented them, but they are not legal and don't have CO's.  We don't want to rent, but have been thinking about a family/game room. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, First-light said:

What should Iook for?

Quite a few different ways to skin the cat..

Some diagonal wood braces let into the wall running at 45° from the bottom to top of wall,or if the inside is remaining unfinished attached to the inside(probably like it is now?) , sometimes a  metal strap is used for the same purpose, sometimes installing 1 piece of plywood on each will suffice. 

Either way it's not likely to fall down ;) I see places being built like this often..lol.. Purlins and board and batton alone aren't technically enough to resist the wall from moving though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ncountry said:

Quite a few different ways to skin the cat..

Some diagonal wood braces let into the wall running at 45° from the bottom to top of wall,or if the inside is remaining unfinished attached to the inside(probably like it is now?) , sometimes a  metal strap is used for the same purpose, sometimes installing 1 piece of plywood on each will suffice. 

Either way it's not likely to fall down ;) I see places being built like this often..lol.. Purlins and board and batton alone aren't technically enough to resist the wall from moving though.

Thank you. I do see diagonal wood braces non the wall. I will question it for sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First-light said:

Thank you. I do see diagonal wood braces non the wall. I will question it for sure. 

I am a builder and ran a framing crew for 30 years .In framing those wall braces are called Wind Braces , Corner Braces , Diagonal Braces etc. The frame would not pass inspection if I didn't have them installed in the walls at every corner . N C is correct that there are many ways to accomplish installing them . I like these metal ones instead of cutting the wall studs to install a diagonal 2x4. They are strong , fast to install , and they leave you the room for insulation .  All you do is snap a line at the angle then cut the marks with a circular saw just deep enough to install the band . Usually takes 2 cuts with the saw to make the cut wide enough for the metal. Once the band is tapped into the wall studs you nail the band in on every stud plus the top and bottom of the band  This link shows you what they are and how its done

https://www.whitecap.com/p/simpson-strongtie-twb-11333-22-ga-g90-galvanized-steel-wall-brace-113040/twb12/137twb12?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-eaxpqr8-gIVDbjICh1xbgBCEAQYASABEgIV9PD_BwE

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 2

The house gets a new metal roof tomorrow. The barn needs some finish work and grading. Should be done by Friday. I installed the water lines and electric. Upstairs will be finished for guests. It's beautiful. Unbelievable view from up top. Here are some pictures. I ordered a nice metal sign to thank my parents for this gift. May the be a part of it in Heaven!

F2CB5A36-C049-448C-AF55-E3FB06B5EC96_1_105_c.jpeg

591634B3-888F-40F3-8EC0-24E925F9BD1A_1_105_c.jpeg

7B1E8A83-2865-4BD5-B9AC-19F5531321CD_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 12

Just needs some grading and stone. Electric hooks up tomorrow. Some recent pictures. I have had that Rooster for 10 years. Its been in a box in my attic. It was from a photo shoot for Money Magazine. I ended up with a lot of cool stuff, now it has a home. I was up on the lift so I thought I would take some picts!

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

68935670914__B6EE93CA-8D7E-4A4D-A1A6-5616B02A8BC3.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

It's been a while but things re moving along. I have electric and water to the barn now. Installed lighting inside and out first level. Moving upstairs this week to start finishing off the guest house. FYI those green lights I bought for the barn were made in the USA and were really well built. I sent back the overseas version that would not stand up to the wind and rain. Steele Lights out of Cali. Did I say I'm having fun? lol

69559159543__859A0F86-287E-407E-B47D-963A45CEFD6F.jpeg

69559161062__88D4C42B-D065-47AE-824A-69164AB01DB8.jpeg

69559162970__E65CD4FB-0D87-4E38-AA88-CB33100D6AA2.jpeg

IMG_2969.jpeg

69482015566__BECBF2C0-53C6-49D5-994F-FC0730155129.jpeg

IMG_3081.jpeg

69482014488__4129BB94-1705-4884-BBFC-BFBD437FE7E0.jpeg

• Like 6