Great News

Tinlodge

I find it odd the crossbow has a greater setback distance... I mean considering they're the same as a compound bow and all ;)

True - anyone who has really looked at it knows it should be the other way around.   

Totally unneeded addition.

You can hunt now at 150 ft.

Edited by SteveB

Lot of misconceptions about the performance of a Xbow. Plenty of bad, misinformed types of propoganda used by lobbying groups opposed to Xbows. It's a proven fact that compound bows have a superior arrow trajectory beyond 30yds than do Xbows. So, the additional setback is just an example of why our legislators have no clue on this subject, other than what misinformation is being supplied to them. Unfortunately this damned subject became a political "hot potato". Pretty sure everyone (hunters), whether for or against Xbows, can agree this matter should have been put in the hands of the DEC 2-3 years ago.

Bob - IMHO, think we'll see a lot of typically regular season gun hunters getting into Xbows to take advantage of the earlier season and more of the "prime-time" rut dates. Then after these newbies find out shooting a Xbow is not like shooting a rifle like certain anti groups claim, they'll give them up.

If you've every handled a Xbow, they're heavy, awkward, unbalanced, difficult to carry any distance and basically not ideal for stalking The more horizontal shots while blind hunting is a different situation. Guess I'm predicting (?) Xbows won't be used any differently than compounds, regarding the individual's hunting style. More than likely you'll hunt the same after getting a Xbow as you did before their implementation..!

Mine is like 7lbs and I spot and stalk with it all the time. There are even lighter xbows out there. I'll be hunting with mine just like I do with a shotgun, sit against a tree morning and nights and walk around during midday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think a lot of hunters will now find out how limited the distance you can take a shot at a whitetail with a crossbow really is. They are "LOUD" plain and simple and if your not right on top of a deer when you shoot you could very well end up with a miss or worse a wounded deer.

The stories that hunters will now be able to shoot deer at 70 and 100 yds with a crossbow will quickly fade.

From my own personal experience I wouldn't take a shot any past 30yds and prefer to keep them to 25 or less with my crossbows.

The very first time I fired a crossbow about 7-8 yrs ago I was actually a little disappointed after hearing the noise on release, I was like Oh my God this thing is freakin loud and will be totally useless for deer hunting. This is of course after being a vertical bow hunter all my life and having taken numerous deer at 35 and even some at 40 yards with my ultra quite compounds.

But now crossbow hunters will have a responsibility to show the hunting community that crossbows aren't the devils seed because you know we will be carefully scrutinized by hunters who didn't want them in bow season and by anti hunters who will be out there and posting videos and pics on the horrors of the crossbow.

• Like 1

More hunters in the woods during archery is a pisser but thats me being selfiish. My wife gettin in the woods with me during archery is a plus. Being able to use an xbow in a blind a plus (recurve shooter. Pita in a blind)

Last year i saw a handul of duchbags in some woods when i was on some state land. Guessin thats gonna be a bit more now.

Does this mean 2 buck tags? One with xbow and one with gun? Also since you can hunt with xbow during gun, can you shoot a buck during gun with xbow and put it on archery tag? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dought one would be able to use archery tags during firearm.  I expect you would have to use whatever tags are applicable to the season you are hunting in.

• Like 1

Have you all sent your thank you notes to governor cuomo? Since we're bringing up old threads and sending praises to the NYCC, let's not forget this post: http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/21048-governor-announces-support-for-crossbows-in-ny/

Just wait for the newspaper headlines from such wonderful publications like the Outdoor News singing his praises as a supporter of NY outdoorsman right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crossbow users getting the last 14 days of the southern archery season is huge, many consider that prime time to be out there hunting......I remember how pissed many bowhunters were when they lost the last weekend to the Saturday opener of the regular season.

Have you all sent your thank you notes to governor cuomo? Since we're bringing up old threads and sending praises to the NYCC, let's not forget this post: http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/21048-governor-announces-support-for-crossbows-in-ny/ Just wait for the newspaper headlines from such wonderful publications like the Outdoor News singing his praises as a supporter of NY outdoorsman right? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How is rejecting the use of crossbows going to hurt Cuomo. I plan on hunting with my xbows no matter what it does or doesn't do for Cuomo. This in no way means I have to vote for him or send thank you notes.

I'm not one to expose a members PM, but I received this today from Belo:

"Yo bro, please don't tell anyone I'm reaching out to you about this. I want to get a crossbow; can you please provide some insight on my options, etc."

Just kidding lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Part EE of the Budget Bill's. The underlined are additions to the current language and text that is struck through is to be removed. It's 13 pages long so it will take time to make sense of it. Once passed we will put together a synopsis of all the changes.

See PDF attachment

PART EE.pdf

crossbow users getting the last 14 days of the southern archery season is huge, many consider that prime time to be out there hunting......I remember how pissed many bowhunters were when they lost the last weekend to the Saturday opener of the regular season.

Only to get a few weeks of mosquitoes and a youth hunt. I know, I know... Woe is me.

How is rejecting the use of crossbows going to hurt Cuomo. I plan on hunting with my xbows no matter what it does or doesn't do for Cuomo. This in no way means I have to vote for him or send thank you notes.

Many said they would not support anything he does. Read the thread I linked to and wait for the newspaper headlines praising him. And join him in his fishing derby too.

Yeah your talking about the beginning and end of any sort of rut before the guns go off.........plus here comes the poaching!