Archery discharge distance now 150'

ringwood

Good luck getting recovery permission from the neighbor who would not have allowed you to set up closer than 500 ft before this change.

agreed, there are situations though where the 500' rule would hurt perfectly safe situations. At my house I have a stand very close to a neighbors backyard. Nothing but woods north, south and west. His backyard is fenced in and i would be closer than 500' to his house (350' to be exact) and there's little chance the deer dies in his yard.

He was asking about situations and what could be done, and I answered him with the fact that the situation doesn't matter as long as you are not on the neighbor's property and not shooting, and what can be done by the neighbor is basically nothing. I'm not sure why you are getting all screwed into a knot over that. Is there anything there that you disagree with, or are you just intent on arguing over nothing (as usual)? get a grip, and save your random attacks for something worth attacking over....lol.

He was asking about situations and what could be done, and I answered him with the fact that the situation doesn't matter as long as you are not on the neighbor's property and not shooting, and what can be done by the neighbor is basically nothing. I'm not sure why you are getting all screwed into a knot over that. Is there anything there that you disagree with, or are you just intent on arguing over nothing (as usual)? get a grip, and save your random attacks for something worth attacking over....lol.

He was asking me about the situation i was referring to. Not generalities, or did you miss the part where he quoted my post? Your post was irrelevant to our conversation.

He was asking me about the situation i was referring to. Not generalities, or did you miss the part where he quoted my post? Your post was irrelevant to our conversation.

And that is what made you fly off the handle? Gosh you really do seem to live in a spring-loaded, pissed off position all the time don't you.  Maybe I might suggest that if you want to conduct a private conversation, use the messaging system. That way you can dictate exactly how you want the conversation to be conducted.

• Like 1

well i have a neighbors barn 350' off my property and the hedge row that is the line is a great place for a stand( the hedge row is mine) the neighbors lawn is mowed right up to it. so the deer travel the hedge on my side to cross the road, and get to the food plot 200 feet on my property. I've always got along with my neighbor but i got a big deer he had seen so now i must be an evil tresspasser cause i got "his deer".. i have all the food he doesnt so i couldnt hunt the hedge legally for a few years..the deer have never died on his property as i shoot back into my property and the plot is far enough for a well place arrow to drop a deer before i can get back to hedge. its a good law, although i agre with Doc that people will be dumb and situations will arise. but that being said they do now at 500' and with many anti or un informed people buying recreational property many that are just shooting their bows for practice in their garage are actually in violation 500' is a long way in suburbia. if lots are 60'wide its 8 houses either side of where you are shooting, 100'lots is 5 houses, 150 is still 3 houses either side and not to mention houses across the street, and behind... lot of people to get permission to shoot in your garage at a 10yard range. Not all of us can live far enough away from people to legally shoot. and even in the country with a 500' lot the house across the street is still closer than 500' as is probably the neighbors houses either side of your home.   I am lucky enough to own both sides of the road and have over 2000' frontage..but for those with smaller camps this is great!

• Like 1

Dont understand why someone wants a dead deer on there property less they gonna take it

neighbors don't always get a long. They may take any chance they get to stick it to their neighbor. Right or wrong. I agree that I wouldn't want a dead deer, or could I live with knowing an animal went to waste to prove a point. All of our neighbors have all agreed to recovery rights for all, and that's the way it should be.

.......Not all of us can live far enough away from people to legally shoot. and even in the country with a 500' lot the house across the street is still closer than 500' as is probably the neighbors houses either side of your home.   ....

That is one of the inconveniences of living in among a lot of people. We have accepted that inconvenience when it comes to guns, and there also has to at least be an attempt made to legally control those that would be idiots with their other weapons.

If I were king, the law would be amended to add a clause that makes it illegal to shoot at an occupied or occasionally occupied structure or occupied yard within some given distance. For bows, I would think 100 yards would be adequate (not a guarantee, but reasonably safe). I would have that interpreted as: if your back is toward a neighbors house (shooting away from his property line) the entire width of your property would count toward that 100 yard minimum. If your property width is less than 100 yards, you should be looking for a public archery range or some state land or a friends property where those conditions can be met.

Let's pretend that you look out your window and find that your neighbor has set up a couple of hay bales the legal 50 yards from your house, or your yard where your kids are playing. Maybe even lined up with the sandbox and swingset. This new setback law as currently understood, would leave you no legal recourse to put a stop to that (until something real ugly happens). Your kids would have to be barred from playing outdoors every time your neighbor decided to shoot his bow. Is that a reasonable situation? Somehow, what is in the background behind the butt, has to be part of the law wording. It never has been, and probably never will be But it should be! To me, I don't care if deer are eating every living piece of vegetation or whatever, having an law that protects unsafe situations to the point where homeowners lose the use of chunks of their property is simply not acceptable.

I wasn't conspiring with Doc, and there's no way you would have known it, but it turns out Docs comments were relevant to why I asked about the situation.

To me it seems like you're asking for more trouble than it's worth and based on your response you're doing it out of spite because he left a note. Maybe a better way for you to spread good hunter PR is to go to the guys house and explain that the law has changed and that you'd like to consider putting up your practice stand again. Even though you have every legal right to march in and taunt him, I think you'd better serve the situation by starting out with a higher road. Remember, just because somethings "legal" doesn't mean we have to do it or expect it to be the best way to handle it. 

Basically, threatening someone with harm for hunting legally I think makes you think you're a tough guy.

He never threatened anyone with harm ...... He said that if someone was disrespectful that he wouldn't let him recover from his property . 

• Like 1

just because the law may allow you to shoot a bow within 50 yards of someone's house, it doesn't allow you to act recklessly while doing so, there are laws in place that can be used if someone is obeying the discharge distance rule, but acting recklessly while doing so.........it's no different then someone shooting a firearm under the current 500' rule, but with them shooting directly at a dwelling....if I was hunting legally, safely and ethically, and someone were to refuse me the right to retrieve a deer, I wouldn't lose any sleep. I would guess that the same person  wouldn't let you on their property whether or not you shot it 150 feet away or 500 feet away, on the other hand if the shooter was pushing the envelope by putting themselves in the position of acting irresponsible when they shot the deer they should be willing to face the music if need be.

Edited by jjb4900

Legal or not, anyone setting up 50 yds from my deck without talking to me 1st will never recover from my property. They will get the same respect back they offer.

Never asked for permission to recover before but have asked to hunt. Not everyone is nice about it. I just stared hunting and been made to feel like i was more of a bother than anything.

I dont always get time in advance to ask and knockin on a door becore dawn would likly get ya shot in some places. Just sayin its not bein disrespectful for some noobs. Like me.

Just like scouting, hanging stands, shooting, sharpening your knife, etc, recovery rights should be sought long before the season and certainly before needing them. Shooting a deer is only the start of and a small part of the end. Recovery is the goal and probably the most important.

• Like 1

just because the law may allow you to shoot a bow within 50 yards of someone's house, it doesn't allow you to act recklessly while doing so, there are laws in place that can be used if someone is obeying the discharge distance rule, but acting recklessly while doing so.........it's no different then someone shooting a firearm under the current 500' rule, but with them shooting directly at a dwelling....if I was hunting legally, safely and ethically, and someone were to refuse me the right to retrieve a deer, I wouldn't lose any sleep. I would guess that the same person  wouldn't let you on their property whether or not you shot it 150 feet away or 500 feet away, on the other hand if the shooter was pushing the envelope by putting themselves in the position of acting irresponsible when they shot the deer they should be willing to face the music if need be.

You are right, but acting recklessly is a subjective issue that can only be ascertained by a court usually after a tragedy has occurred. It seems rather easy to take opinion and judgment out of the equation simply by writing the law completely and without loopholes. Write the law correctly and cases become black and white, and can be resolved before something tragic happens. Leave the law in the hands of interpretation, opinion, and judgment, as well as a reliance of two or more interdependent laws, and you have just created an un-necessary problem.  

As part of the budget package, discharge distance for archery will now be 150' from a dwelling/structure. This was included in the DEC package along with legalizing crossbows (250' discharge) for the firearm seasons, small game, and last two weeks of archery deer season. This just opened up thousands of additional acres for deer hunting, particularly in suburban areas of the state. Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So now does the DEC have to do it's thing, or is it a done deal?

And that is what made you fly off the handle? Gosh you really do seem to live in a spring-loaded, pissed off position all the time don't you.  Maybe I might suggest that if you want to conduct a private conversation, use the messaging system. That way you can dictate exactly how you want the conversation to be conducted.

If you honestly think my response was me flying off the handle, then you need to seriously rethink how you interpret things. Im am rarely in any type of a "pissed off position", especially on here. Doesnt surprise me too much, as you tend to take every little thing to the extreme. But ya know, think what you like....