In need of a doe tag

Hidehunter12

I'm just guessing here, but I am pretty sure it would be illegal to sell a tag.

I also believe it is illegal to sell. I know you can sign it over to someone, but a transfer of $$ may be frowned upon.

That being said, I know the frustration of not getting a doe tag. The past 2 years I have been hunting the Finger Lakes National Forest. Anyone who hunts there knows that it is almost impossible to get a doe tag because of all the nuisence permits they issue the wineries along Seneca Lake. I went into the past 2 seasons knowing I could only take a buck. Wouldn't you know I saw a lot of doe...

It is a test of patience when you see doe frollicking around you and you don't see a buck. The only reason we hun that area is because my Dad's buddy owns land that butts up to the forest and we set up a hunting camp there.

We will still be doing hunting camp there this year (it is a tradition that will hopefully never die) but me, my dad, and 2 others from camp will be going to hunt 7R and Arnot Forest.

Some guys from our group are still hunting the Finger Lakes National Forest, and I may hunt it one day this year also since I know the woods pretty good, but to fill my freezer, I am heading over to where I have a doe tag  :)

Good luck in your quest for a tag...Even more good luck in getting a buck in you WMU you are hunting!!  ;D

guys he doesnt have a tag to trade for, just look at the $20 as a token of his appreciation, he wants to put meat in his freezer. we pay for our doe tags, i doubt anyone is just going to hand him one, i know i would if i had a tag for that region. my only suggestion would to be check on craigslist like others have suggested.

Bottom of page 28 of the syllabus at the bottom of the inset titled "HOW TO TRANSFER A DMP DEER CARCASS TAG"  It says

!It is [/size]NOT legal to buy, sell,

or offer to sell a DMP!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/2010guidebggm.pdf

Call it what you want, but I'd hate to see  someone get jammed up over a doe tag just because they missed the passage that specifically prohibits selling them.

just another sign of hunter greed. So you didnt get a dmp. You are willing to post on a public forum that you are willing to break the law in fact have broken the law asking to buy one.  Also be aware tat the dmp's on craigs list are watched by the DEC.  If you make the transaction, be ready to have an officer make a visit.  Believe it or not they can find you.  Hunt a buck or a change.  In a word RIDICULOUS

just another sign of hunter greed. So you didnt get a dmp. You are willing to post on a public forum that you are willing to break the law in fact have broken the law asking to buy one.  Also be aware tat the dmp's on craigs list are watched by the DEC.  If you make the transaction, be ready to have an officer make a visit.  Believe it or not they can find you.  Hunt a buck or a change.  In a word RIDICULOUS 

Why is that greedy? The guy is looking for a DMP. I would think someone who has no plans on shooting a doe who applied for and received DMP's is greedy. This guy is just looking for a tag to get some meat. Seems pretty innocent to me. Nor do I think compensating the other hunter is out of the question. I dont agree the tags should be sold for a profit but giving the guy the $10 it costs to apply is the right thing to do. There are far more worse infractions being done on a daily basis.

ok since there are other infractions it makes this one ok?  If you need meat and do not have tags, take the time you would be in the woods and get a second job and buy meat.  Too bad he didnt get a tag boo hoo.  I go years without one in my area.  So what I have less venison.  That is the way it is.  It is about entitlement and bragging rights.

Even with a doe tag there is no guarantee that he'd fill the freezer anyway... why would he break the law and take the chance? How about this? We're only 3 days into southern zone regular season and this guy already has told himself he not going to see a buck to kill. If thats not a recipe for failure I don't know what is.