Thoses were the good days

noodle one

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a 35 Rem also and what a peach it is to carry!!

Back to the good ole days...well for me (hunting 18 years) we are going to the early to mid 90's. My brother in law got my father into bow hunting and I followed them every where until I was old enough to hunt myself at 14 in '92. My brother in law had a landscaping business and construction business in Westchester (down state) and it seemed that everyone he talked to wanted to get rid of the deer because they were eating their $100,000 shrubs....so we literally had about 100 spots to hunt. Most of the hunting was deer drives so we would go, he would drop my father and I off and then push the ridge or whatever and after about an hour we'ed be off to the next spot. I must say it was great fun, fast paced, never getting bored or cold for that matter....and we saw a lot of deer.

One place in particular was a gold mine!! We had permission right next to a larger tract of land with a 10 ft fence surrounding it. The drive was a little over a half mile and produced a huge amount of deer as they would run the fence until they got to the end and then turn to where we were on stand. I will never forget the day my brother in law told me "you are going to see over 100 deer on this drive....the does will be first. Don;t move when you see them. The busck will follow....as soon as you see horns on the other side of the dip pull back and wait, they be on top of you in a few seconds." Never in my wildest dreams did i think 100 deer would come....!! Well let me tell you I lost track at about 87 and they were all does with still more coming and that is when i saw horns. 12 bucks ran by me and jumped over my father that was kneeling behind a stone wall.....these were all buck over 120".....needless to say I never got off a shot and I just kept following the differnt bucks as they ran on either side of my tree!! All in I would saw about 120 deer ran past me and I was sitting in the tree for about 45 mins.....

What a hunt!!

I wouldnt wear brown pants, especially when hunting from the ground. You know how some people shoot at color or movement, right? Deer are brown. Put color and movement together and there are people out there that will pull the trigger. Not quite as likely with camo or green. Thats my opinion though.

I saw 3 guys on state land in light brown Carhartts last weekend. Im sorry, but blaze or not with that color clothes during gun season is just not smart. If you choose to do it, thats your choice, but dont be crying when some unsafe idiot that you dont know is there flings a round or two at you because your pants are the same color as a deer.

And most importantly do not have a white hanky hanging out of the back pocket of those brown pants.Not good.Not good at all........

I shot my first deer with a 35 Rem. Tc Contender. 1990 . It went through the deer from the adam's apple,along the spine to the back end. Never touched the vital organs but killed the deer instantly.Happy hunting.

Few things that came to mind from this thread.

good ole days.....

a trail cam was a piece of string attached to a digital watch strung across a deer trail.

Sight pins were painted with nailpolish not fiber optic

You wore a safety belt.... not a safety harness.

If you wanted to kill deer, you sat still and stayed quiet. No coughing, ,grunting, rattling crunching anything

You had to spin test your alluminum shafts to check straightness before hunting.

There was no fixed blade vs mechanical debate. Everyone shot fixed blade.

we put a dab of deer, skunk, or fox piss on our hunting coats as cover scent....no stix, wicks, wafers to light or bombs to set off.

You could find an apple in 99% of hunters lunch bags.

Taxidermists were starving while piles of sawed off antlers deteriorated in hunters garages and wood sheds or just hung outside around camp.

We had to drag deer out of the woods not give them a ride on the wheeler.

Low man on the totem pole gutted the deer.

::)

Now I do feel old Wolly....you listed some things that were way after I started hunting...lol. Good ole things that are more recent than I remember…

Lol- that was for our hunters in the 40 year old age class. Still takes me back far enough to test my memmory. ;)

I am only nineteen years old, but i like to listen to seasoned hunters talk about the good old days, I am somewhat ashamed of my generation, and I definately think that times were better "back in the day"

I can relate.  I'm twenty years old and a lot of the time I find myself trying to disassociate myself with the other youthful hunters.  I find I much prefer the company of old-timers at the counter in the local diner listening to stories of how the world used to be.  Kids these days are texting in the stand, need to have the newest most advanced hunting gadgets, and a lot of the have told me they are willing to poach if it means a trophy.  I can only hang my head at the way it makes me look as a youthful hunter.  My parents always told me I was an old soul and I should have been born 70 years ago.  I think I believe them. 

Macinaw was the word for clothes not real tree.  How did we ever fill a deer tag?

The Pennsylvania Tuxedo! My father's friend used to have pants & a coat from his more youthful & well, slender years, he would don to hunt at least once a season for old time's sake!! Good laughs..